Uncle Fred-7 years with us

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
Uncle Fred's heart just stopped. He had spent the day at the vet getting iv antibiotics, still without a diagnosis. He looked a little better and came home eagerly around five, with iv fluids and antibiotics for the night. He would have gone back to the vet for the day again tomorrow. Steve picked him up, and he wagged at him, climbed in the car, walked up and down the street, peeing on his favorite trees, and came in.

I got off the train around six, and Steve drove me home. He was laying on the floor and looked at me, wagged a couple of times, and flopped over on the floor in an apparent coma. He was like that for two hours, weirdly howling to himself with worsening breathing. The howling did not sound like he was in pain, just hound talk. He wasn't arousable. Then, just now, he stopped breathing with all the kids around him, petting him.

None of us can quite imagine life without him and his big personality. This time last week he looked as healthy as could be. There are still labs out from today- maybe tomorrow we'll have some kind of idea of the cause, but maybe not. Today the vet was calling Rutgers University for advice. We just don't know. This dog lived in the house, was always walked on a leash, had no access to anything toxic.

Horribly abused as a pup, and extremely traumatized and timid when we got him, Uncle Fred became a courageous, loyal and loving dog. He was an ambassador for his breed. I know at least 5 people who now own coonhounds because they wanted an Uncle Fred-all are rescues. He had style. I have this video on my iphone from a couple of months ago of him dancing and howling on command for me. He would get into a play bow position, and then rear up in the air to get maximum volume out of the howl. "Aroooooo!!"

We will miss you forever Uncle Fred- you were the best dog I have ever had.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
I'm so sorry to hear that, Dr Mom. Run Free, Uncle Fred. You will be sorely missed.
:(

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I'm so sorry to hear this. :( It's so sweet that he basically waited for you, tho. <3

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Oh gosh. My heart sank. I'm so so so sorry. =< It sounds like he went in the best way possible... surrounded by his entire family. I hope the kids are all okay. So many hugs for you guys.

BostonBanker

I am so sorry for your loss. He always seemed like such a huge presence from your descriptions of him. How lucky for him that he found his way to your family after such a difficult start in his life, and what a wonderful legacy he's left behind in the equally-changed lives of the rescue hounds adopted because of him.

Snark

Mutts to you
So terribly sorry for your loss, DrMom. :( I was really hoping you would find out what was wrong with Uncle Fred and it would be fixable. Hugs to you and your family.

Run free, Uncle Fred.

ACooper

So very sorry doc, this is the only bad part to loving them....knowing they'll probably depart long before us :(

Run free Uncle Fred, you were loved and will be missed

noludoru

Bored Now.
Oh gosh. My heart sank. I'm so so so sorry. =< It sounds like he went in the best way possible... surrounded by his entire family. I hope the kids are all okay. So many hugs for you guys.
This.

((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))

UF is and always will be one of my favorite chaz dogs.

MisssAshby

Richy Rich HM Twit!
Oh, no. I'm so very sorry about the loss of Uncle Fred. He sounded like an amazing dog, and so full of life. RIP sweet one, and be sure to find all the other great ones, they will show you around. <3

Barb04

Super Moderator
Uncle Fred will be missed by us all. I'm so sorry. May he be running free with all our loved ones. Uncle Fred will be in your heart and memories forever. Try to remember all the love and good times you shared.

Members online

No members online now.