Is this normal Mom behavior?

ChrissyR

I don't know where to put this, so, if I have the wrong area, please move it and I apologize.

My question is, I was feeding Shorty this evening around her pups. I didn't think anything of it as she's been real good with them regarding her food. Tonight, however, she tried to snap Porkchops face off because PC was by the food bowl looking into it. They are weaning (not even 4 weeks old yet.) and are interested in food and water. Is it normal for Shorty to try and bite them to back them out of her food? I put my hand right in her food bowl and tapped her on her mouth just to see if she'd react to me in any way. She just backed up and sat down like she should when I put my hand in her food. I plan to feed her in another room from now on because she did hurt PC and I don't want it to go beyond what it has already. But, is this normal? Any advice on how to handle this situation is appreciated.

Thanks,
Chrissy

~Tucker&Me~

Yes, it sounds perfectly normal to me.

YOU are the alpha, thus it is your food, not hers. She knows this and backs off.

However, her puppies are lower in the social ranking then her. She also knows this and is telling her puppy to "Back off, it's my food!"

As puppies grow older, the amount of things they can get away with decreases.

~Tucker

wolfsoul

I Love My Belgian
Sounds odd to me -- Normally from the time they are born until the time they start to hit puberty they are given a grace period. Perhaps it is different with different breeds, but in the Belgians and shelties I am experienced with, the pups are given a grace period where they can walk all over their momma without any back-talk.

carlar

Dog Lover Boutique
With my Yorkies at that age the mom usually steps back and lets the babies eat first. I would be really concerned if I was you and maybe limit her time with her babies now so that you can keep an eye on her.

Miakoda

Just out of curiosity, what breed of dog are we talking about?

Second, many mommas need a break from their pups. If she has been with these pups 24/7 for 4 weeks, it's time you start giving her her own time to eat & potty without the pups tagging along. While she's eating, you should make a warm mash of quality puppy food & warm water, put it in one of those large pie dish things, & let the puppies have at it. This way the puppies start to learn to eat on their own & it also serves as to give momma a little "dessert" when she comes back to clean them all up.

And I also agree that momma dogs will assert their dominance over the pups in many circumstances. IMO she was telling this pup that this was her food & to back off.

bubbatd

I think it's normal ..... but why not let Mom eat with some peace and quiet away from her crew .

ChrissyR

Mom goes out in the yard for breaks and she gets walks, too. Usually I feed her on one side of the room and the pups on the other so I can keep an eye on everyone at once. I can say Shorty is enjoying her freedom from the pups and is reluctant to go back with them. When she comes into the house, she has free range on 2 rooms and the pups are gated in the bathroom. I have noticed her spending more and more time away from them so when she goes out, I let her stay out for awhile. Trying to stay with her schedule. I fed her in one room and the pups in their room this morning. I gave her her food first. She sucked down as much food as she could then tried to get with the kids for their food. I closed the door between them and she calmed down. Since they are starting to wean, how many hours is normal for her to go between nursing? She seems ok with about 4 or 5 hours.

As for breed, Miakoda, she's a Husky mix.

showpug

Are you sure she is being fed enough? Lactating dams require quite a bit of extra food. I wouldn't consider upping the amount now as it's near weaning time, but sounds like Mom is trying to naturally wean the pups now...

ChrissyR

She's fed 3 times a day. A mixture of both wet and dry Puppy food. She has breakfast, lunch and dinner. LOL By the time dinner rolls around, she doesn't eat everything in her bowl but she does get a late night "snack" just in case she's hungry again. The wet is a 13.5 ounce can and the dry varies between 4 to 6 cups a feeding. As for the weaning, I just took a chance when she was out in the yard and put some (soggy wet and warm) puppy food in front of the kids and they began to sample it. That was about 2 days ago. When she is outside I put food down for the pups and pick it up when she comes back in. I can say it frightend me when she snapped at PC and I don't want it repeated, you know?

(Don't mind my spelling. LOL It's bad today)

J's crew

I agree with Miakoda. I've fostered alot of mama's with pups and some need a little more space once the pups are getting older.

Members online