Dog Wont Eat!

PoodleMommy

Yorkie Love
My dog has been on Innova Puppy canned since we got her at 4 months old (Shes 8.5 months now). She has always liked it and eaten all her meals. She has seemed to get bored with it latley, so we got some Solid Gold hard food for her to eat, but now she doesnt really want to eat much of that either/

Yesterday she refused to eat any of either food, so we gave her steak, salmon, potato, and broccolli mixed together (it is what we were having for dinner). She ate that no problem.

She is fine health wise and will eat any "human" food we give her. She also enjoys stealing the cat food :rolleyes:
However, we are having a difficult time getting her to eat dog food:confused:

Is there anywhere on the Internet to get a recipe for "home- cooked" food, I looked through some books at the bookstore and they all seem so confusing.
Or should I just try another food?

Thanks

Elissa

Mordy

Quigleyfied
I think she is just reaching that adolescent stage where puppies test what they can get away with. :)

Put food down for 20 minutes and pick up whatever isn't eaten after 15 or 20 minutes. If she doesn't eat it, no treats and extras until the next meal and again only leave the food down for a limited time. Don't cater to her whims and offer different foods if she doesn't eat what you put down, or she'll have you pretty well trained in a matter of days and will be a fussy eater for the rest of her life.

A normal, healthy dog won't starve itself and skipping a meal now and then won't hurt. Chances are she'll be hungry enough at the next meal and eat what's offered.

If you want to feed a home prepared diet, I highly recommend the book "Dr. Pitcairn's complete guide to natural health for dogs and cats". His recipes are based on sound principles and easy to prepare.

Many recipes floating around on the internet don't really meet all of a dogs' nutritional requirements and may cause deficiencies. Stick with trustworthy sources. :)

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Take it from me. Dont spoil your dog when it comes to eating.

Emma is having such a horible time eating her food when she gets it.

tinksmama

well, my Tink is 10 weeks, and decided that she only liked canned pup food, not dry kibble. once it hit her bowl, she turned up her nose. So I let her starve for a day,yes a whole day,she wouldn't eat more than a piece or two. But she weighs 3 pounds, I knew this could quickly make her ill, she has no reserves-so basically ate about 5-6 pieces of tiny pup kibble in about18-20 hours. Not good at all- So I tried to stand firm, and had her do commands,and she'd eat it piece by piece,(this was the next day) up to about 1/2 of her normal amount. She wasn't sick at all, just snobby... by the 3rd meal, of the day,6 p.m.,again, I decided to cave and mix in a smidge of canned with the kibble,magic! her appetite was back! (spoiled brat) I was most concerned about her blood sugar levels,as she's so small,and she basically won. I caved, I'm a bad dog mom.:rolleyes: I'm going to try for just dry again in a few weeks, when she's a bit bigger. As for now, I put in less tha 1/2 a teaspoon with the dry....

Put some canned Salmon in her dog food. Only about a tablespoon or two. I also put the liquid in the can in their food too. They love it.

Members online

No members online now.