The dog musing/vent thread

teacuptiger

floor dancer
Persuasion on the basement-only is not going so well. Oh well. Looks like I get to build an outdoor doggy paradise. Obviously, Roxie will be inside in a locked kennel while I'm gone, be indoors during bad weather, and sleep in my bed with me, so I think she will transition easily, but meh.

I think this could be a fun thing for us, though. Building an outdoor area could be fun.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Super bummed that my boys now hate each other. Let operation crate/gate and rotate for the rest of their lives commence :(
I'm sorry, that's sucky. We're having to make Feist and Wesley ignore each other / be separate indoors as they don't get along inside the house. No fun. :(

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
OMG that is so sad!!!

Some people really suck.
Noticed they changed the post to saying they're moving and wanting to give him to another home. I wonder where all the stuff about trading him for a merle puppy went? Originally the ad said they really just wanted to trade him for a red or blue merle. Ugh

Super bummed that my boys now hate each other. Let operation crate/gate and rotate for the rest of their lives commence :(
That is one of my worst fears with Nextdog. My girls get along so well and I take that for granted.

Sorry you're having to do that. :(

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
I'm sorry, that's sucky. We're having to make Feist and Wesley ignore each other / be separate indoors as they don't get along inside the house. No fun. :(
Yeah it's all because of Bubby. My in-laws took her while she's in season so that this doesn't get any worse (my in-laws LOVE HER so they basically took her from me/took her stuff and kicked me out LOL). It really was a switch that flipped in Pen two days ago. And Jari was totally being a puppy and giving in/saying, "Don't taze me bro!!" in doggy language, but today Jari got sick of it. Not sure if the outdoors will work either as that's when Jari decided he had enough and stood up to Pen (they had previously been OK in the yard together). HOWEVER I took them on a walk just the two of them about an hour ago and they were normal. So I dunno. I'm hoping something can be salvaged. Gate/rotate sounds a lot more manageable than crate/rotate at this point in time since my schedule is ridiculous.

That's a bummer about Feist and Wesley :(

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Yeah it's all because of Bubby. My in-laws took her while she's in season so that this doesn't get any worse (my in-laws LOVE HER so they basically took her from me/took her stuff and kicked me out LOL). It really was a switch that flipped in Pen two days ago. And Jari was totally being a puppy and giving in/saying, "Don't taze me bro!!" in doggy language, but today Jari got sick of it. Not sure if the outdoors will work either as that's when Jari decided he had enough and stood up to Pen (they had previously been OK in the yard together). HOWEVER I took them on a walk just the two of them about an hour ago and they were normal. So I dunno. I'm hoping something can be salvaged. Gate/rotate sounds a lot more manageable than crate/rotate at this point in time since my schedule is ridiculous.

That's a bummer about Feist and Wesley :(

Ugh, hope you can find a good way to work it out. I think Feist and Wesley will get along much better when she's older and is used to not trying to play constantly by biting his manly bits LOL, she's a jerk. Wesley is easily stressed and he is horribly lenient and won't correct her, sooo being trained to ignore each other it is!

Finkie_Mom

That is one of my worst fears with Nextdog. My girls get along so well and I take that for granted.

Sorry you're having to do that. :(
I knew it was a possibility when I decided to keep Jari. I guess I just didn't think it would happen before Bubby was even in season (she's not spotting or anything yet, but I guess she's coming in soon) and while Jari was still so young. So I can manage it, it's just not as fun as getting to enjoy having all 4 of them out at the same time and playing together. At least with my in-laws taking her for a bit it means I don't have to rotate 3 ways - just 2.

Finkie_Mom

Ugh, hope you can find a good way to work it out. I think Feist and Wesley will get along much better when she's older and is used to not trying to play constantly by biting his manly bits LOL, she's a jerk. Wesley is easily stressed and he is horribly lenient and won't correct her, sooo being trained to ignore each other it is!
I really believe I can handle gate/rotate long-term if need be. But I think I'm going to give it the weekend and if they are OK with the gate I will try them in the yard then try them in the house if that goes well. Maybe once Pen realizes that Bubby isn't here he will let up.

I do feel bad because he's whining in the other room right now and I'm in the area with Jari and Kimma (Jari is a jerkface and still needs supervision in the house because he likes to destroy things). Super sad.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I knew it was a possibility when I decided to keep Jari. I guess I just didn't think it would happen before Bubby was even in season (she's not spotting or anything yet, but I guess she's coming in soon) and while Jari was still so young. So I can manage it, it's just not as fun as getting to enjoy having all 4 of them out at the same time and playing together. At least with my in-laws taking her for a bit it means I don't have to rotate 3 ways - just 2.
Is it a common thing in Finkies? Maybe things will settle down once she's out of season.

I imagine it's going to take a while to get Mia to not stress about Nextdog and that stresses me out a bit. It can't be worse than the terrier foster that tried to push all her buttons though... At least I keep telling myself that.

Finkie_Mom

Is it a common thing in Finkies? Maybe things will settle down once she's out of season.

I imagine it's going to take a while to get Mia to not stress about Nextdog and that stresses me out a bit. It can't be worse than the terrier foster that tried to push all her buttons though... At least I keep telling myself that.
It is something that's pretty common in the breed. Luckily they seem to be pretty respective of barriers, though, so I'm hoping I can use that to my advantage if they do have to be separated forever. For example, Pen and his litter brother were fine separated by a short chain link fence but on leash they definitely wanted to fight each other. Pen and Jari are each laying on either side of the baby gate I have up and they are totally just OK.

But obviously if they are fine with Bubby not here that's even better. I'm going to spay her after this season anyway (I was planning on it anyway but now it's really imperative), so this will be a good test I suppose?

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Poor Talon scraped his paw pad. Now he's sulking and acting like his leg is broken because I cleaned it, wrapped it and put a sock around it. :rofl1:

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
You might try letting tempers cool for a few days and then try it again. Jari had enough and fought back, it's not terrible and doesn't mean he hates him... it's a fairly normal response actually. But I would let them kind of mellow out for a few days before working on it more.

Payton and Auggie had a thing for a bit. Payton was the one starting it though, and Auggie was just trying to run away. But it had to do with Payton's maturity (or immaturity, however you want to look at it.) Suddenly he was a big manly jerkface who wanted to try and throw his weight around. It's possible you've got something similar, because Jari is starting to mature into a dog, and is suddenly a "threat" that must be dealt with? I think his age might have something to do with it honestly.

Basically I put Payton back under a puppy protocol... if I can't watch you and make sure you don't try to start something, you are in your crate. When he would get in Auggie's space and Auggie would throw calming signals, I would call Payton away... basically reinforcing "he gave you a calming signal so go away" to P, and reinforcing to Auggie "a calming signal will make him go away." Payton got to where I would see Auggie give a calming signal and Payton's response was to flip around and come running over to me. Maybe not the 100% appropriate response in Dog Language, he wasn't technically obeying the calming signal... he was taking the calming signal as a cue to come to me. But it accomplished what AUGGIE needed (got P out of his space) so it worked for us.

I also did a lot of working again on Payton's self-control, which is a constant battle and he was starting to get away with things that he shouldn't have been allowed to get away with. I also did things like doing some calm sits and downs while they were near each other, slowly moving them closer. Lots of rewarding for calm behavior.

It was very upsetting when it was going on and for several weeks it was very stressful around here. But eventually, I stopped counting the days we went without a fight, because it was no longer an issue. Things that were triggers for that time period... I still try to avoid having the other dogs around for... but if Auggie wanders past while I'm toweling Payton off, P no longer launches himself at him starting a fight. I don't worry about them anymore. Every now and then somebody gets a little snarky, but it's so rare and usually it's over something clear (like somebody stepped on Uncle Auggie.)

It's tough for sure. Maybe after Bubbles comes back after she's spayed you can give it another shot and see if things have started to smooth out.

I was going to work on my client's website and instead ended up playing with Payton. Payton LOVES the kneestall. Can't convince him on the footstall though. I might try doing that thing where I have him target shoes, put the shoes on my legs for the kneestall, then put them on my feet..?
Auggie also wants to do it. He has mad hops but he often overshoots LOL. So I'm laying on my back with my legs in the air and he's soaring over my legs from one side to the other. A time or two he actually hit his mark and was sitting on my legs, but he lays down immediately. It took P a while to be comfortable getting up into a sit, so maybe just more time with Augs. Boy he sure is cute though LOL.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I had someone tell me they would never train their dog to do anything because they respect them too much.
Some people might think I have a screw loose because I don't train Millie anymore- she has done a zillion tricks for me in her life and at 12 years old she has a lot of dignity and also panics when she doesn't get something right, so I choose not to trick train her further.
However, I still think that person is super weird. o.0 Since Millie is retired, Fable is now my minion to disrespect with tricks. :D

1. :(
2. Wish I could have!

Saeleofu

Gavroche full-on peed in the house today. One minute he was playing with the puppy, the next minute he's peeing all over the floor and acting like he had NO idea why it was coming out :( Definitely going to have to get a UA done on him when he goes to the vet. He's also grinding his teeth again >.<

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Off to an open show today. Not expecting much, haven't been to a show for MONTHS! This is our pre-crufts practice :eek:

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
My dog is conked out smack dab in the middle of my (twin-sized) bed. I want to lie down and read (or ya know.... sleep.) but I don't have the heart to move her.

I invited her up there ONE time and now she thinks she owns the darn thing!

Members online

No members online now.