What would you do..

Xandra

If they did it within, say, 48 hours of getting him, I would be really pissed.

If he'd been there for 4 days or so... I would expect it and just be grateful to have him back.

The one time Roman got picked up I figure he could only have arrived at the shelter within an hour of escaping. When I realized he was missing I did a 15 minute area search, then called the shelter.

If he went missing and this shelter didn't have him I'd go around to the others in the area, look at the dogs and leave notes, a picture, etc.

There is really no way they could have him very long at all.

Now if a private rescue found him and neutered him (or just held him actually) I would be pissed. If you find a dog it goes to the municipal shelter... that way the owner can find it (without looking online for lists of rescues) and identify it (I don't trust shelters to identify my dog for me).

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Technically, they were within their right. Shelters have a certain amount of time they must hold a dog and after that they can adopt it out or euthanize it if they see fit. That's why it's important to know what your stray period is at your shelter.

lizzybeth727

I don't think it is true that NO shelter ever neuters/spays dogs until an adopter is found... ??? I worked at a AWFUL shelter, and they'd still sometimes neuter at least some of them.
This shelter's stats last week: 371 animals taken in, 272 euthanized. Only 75 adopted or transferred to a rescue. With those numbers, there's no way they would spay/neuter before the dog had an adopter.

DanL

the guy should have taken the dog back, he could use it as training bait for his other dogs. :popcorn:

LilahRoot

the guy should have taken the dog back, he could use it as training bait for his other dogs. :popcorn:
:yikes:

I really hope you're kidding.

I didn't know what the Devil's Den was that you guys were talking about, but when the site loaded I spit my coffee all over my monitor. Thanks guys!:eek:

That site is seriously disgusting. I am really appalled that this person is selling these pits, ya know this is why they have a bad name. I feel like going and rapping him upside the head.

That being said, if I were a breeder and one of my best studs got out and ended up being neutered at the shelter, sure I would be disappointed, but he would still be MY dog nuts or not.

ACooper

Yes Lilah, you can be certain that DanL is kidding! LOL

And OMG.......I went to that site too :mad: This quote I found under "Puppies"
Puppy prices vary between $2000 - $3000 - $5000 All pups are CASH in a brown paper bag
meant to be a joke or not..........that is sick when taking it in context with the rest of their site!

Now, what would I do? I would be out looking for my dog from the first moment I found him missing. If he somehow ended up in a place that neutered him, I would be upset if they did it within the first 48 hours or so.........give me a CHANCE to find him please!

Would I walk out and leave him there? OMG.......HELLNO! That just proves the fact that owner didn't need to have that dog (or ANY pet) IMO, glad he left him behind to hopefully find a better home!

mi_bella

That being said, if I were a breeder and one of my best studs got out and ended up being neutered at the shelter, sure I would be disappointed, but he would still be MY dog nuts or not.
Agreed. Even if it can't breed anymore, I wouldn't leave my dog at a shelter where it could risk being put down... Whether the shelter was or wasn't right to do that, it's not the dog's fault.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
Now if a private rescue found him and neutered him (or just held him actually) I would be pissed. If you find a dog it goes to the municipal shelter... that way the owner can find it (without looking online for lists of rescues) and identify it (I don't trust shelters to identify my dog for me).
FOHA will hold a stray dog at their rescue shelter for the 14 day stray hold as mandated by law. FOHA also lets all the surrounding shelters know that a dog was found. If the dog is not claimed within these 14 days, FOHA vets it and puts it up for adoption.

A few years ago I found a poodle mix wandering around by the lake that is about 15 minutes from my house and took it to FOHA, FOHA notified the shelters, and in three days his owners came to claim him. (We did scan for a chip but there was none, and no collar or tags, just a blue dog coat).

The most irritating (and perhaps self-defeating) shelter policy I've come across is the one where they WILL NOT let you have your dog back until its neutered, even if this is the first time your dog has been picked up. I find that policy a little bit stupid. I could understand not letting the dog go back to the owner if it had been picked up five times out loose, but once? :rolleyes:

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
If I found romeo within 48 hours.. id be pissed.

but if he'd been there for a couple of days, I wouldnt care. I would just be glad to have him back lol it would still irk me that they neutered him, but atleast they didnt adopt him out or something

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
General rule around here is 72 hours. It would probably pay most people to know how long shelters legally hold dogs before they decide to alter and adopt out or euthanize.

If Mia got loose, I'd be down there at least once every 72 hours, probably twice. If she was there 4 days I'd be SOL because I'm 99.9% sure she'd be adopted out by then.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
see the problem here the dog was PULLED form a shelter by a rescue, the shelter would have by law kept him for their mandeated amount of time, and unless someone was REALY looking out for pitbulls in the are he could have been there awhile before being pulled by the rescue that has him now...

if the dog had dissapeared that morning and i find him in the afternoon already neutered that would cause me to have a merry meltdown simply because thats actually against the law...
but this dog was sat there for a little while first THEN was vetted, neuterd and place for adoption before the guy finally came around to claim him...

and again any repuatable breeder would reclaim the dog, neutered or not to be SURE the dog was going to a great home rather than leave it there...

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
For me it would depend. If one of my "breeding dogs" got loose and ended up in a shelter and was there for 2 days before being altered d@mn right I would be pissed. If my dog had been there for a week, or more, then no.

What pisses me off is the rescues attitude towards breeding. They openly admit they dont know what a "Devils Den" pit is. For sake of argument, lets say it was a amazing breeder with some great lines, doing good for the breed, well then maybe they should have a better attitude. How do they know its not a good breeder? They dont.

I think the owner is a moron for not finding his dog sooner and the rescue sounds like a peice of work too.

ACooper

I don't have an issue with the shelter's attitude AT ALL. They were SNARKY in that ad AFTER this jerk took his sweet time locating the dog, AFTER he came in and refused to take the dog home because he was neutered and couldn't breed anymore. So ya, I would most likely be a total BEEATCH towards a person like that too.

If I worked in a place where I see countless pitties (or any breed, but we are talking pitties atm) put down day after day after day, we get another in.......have him for days and no owner calls or comes in to find him. We neuter him and get him all set for adoption, then you show up........find out he can't be used for puppy making and don't want him back?? Pffffffffft, that ad was very kind compared to what I would want to say ;)

Not to mention that yes, they pulled this guy from a HIGH KILL SHELTER.......which most likely means he would have been DEAD instead of altered before this guy ever showed up to find him :eek:

jesirose

Shelter's don't neuter a dog before an adopter is found. It would be a time waster to neuter dogs that are going to be PTS.

Whatever... the guy doesn't deserve a dog.
Not true, if an adopter comes in that day and wants the dog, they might not want to wait. What happens if the dog goes into heat the day it gets adopted?

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I don't have an issue with the shelter's attitude AT ALL. They were SNARKY in that ad AFTER this jerk took his sweet time locating the dog, AFTER he came in and refused to take the dog home because he was neutered and couldn't breed anymore. So ya, I would most likely be a total BEEATCH towards a person like that too.

If I worked in a place where I see countless pitties (or any breed, but we are talking pitties atm) put down day after day after day, we get another in.......have him for days and no owner calls or comes in to find him. We neuter him and get him all set for adoption, then you show up........find out he can't be used for puppy making and don't want him back?? Pffffffffft, that ad was very kind compared to what I would want to say ;)

Not to mention that yes, they pulled this guy from a HIGH KILL SHELTER.......which most likely means he would have been DEAD instead of altered before this guy ever showed up to find him :eek:
i agree completely.....

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
personally i dont like the tone of the listing in truth, not because of what it says, but instead because it seems very unprofessional for someone to list on such a site.

i dont want to know a shelters opinion on breeding when im looking at a listing, i want to know about the dog, its personality, kids, cat, other dogs? how it came to be at the shelter...

something along the lines of "pulled this dog from high kill shelter just before his time was up and neutered him. origional owner showed up but was upset that after the mandetory holding time the dog was neutered and could not be used for breeding and no longer wanted the dog" that woudl have been enough, ANYONE can read into that and see yes this guy was a jerk, doesnt deserve the dog ect...but doesnt have to have it rammed down their throat...

that listing would put me off, not becaus eof what it says but HOW it says it...i wouldnt want to deal with a shelter with a holier than thou attitude personally, and thats how the listing comes across...

those choice words should be adressed directly with the irresponsible breeder...

unfortunatly though i think im jaded, i used to work for a shelter that declared ALL breeders were evil, none of them deserved a dog back and they shoudl all be burned alive...
we had a dog come in from an owner death, chip had the breeders info, they refused to contact the breeder to tell them the dog was in their shelter...
just so happend that "somehow" word got back to the breeder who came to claim the dog the next day, they tried to refuse, she got the law involved and since her info was still on the chip and she had reacent pictures of the dog as well as its registration papaers and the contract that stated should anything happen the dog would be returned to her, she managed to get the dog back within 3 days and found him a wonderfull home (neutered) herself...

some shelters flat out hate breeders good or bad and thats how this listing comes across, very "were right there wrong" sure in this case, the guy is a jerk, but i still personaly wouldnt want to deal with a shelter who let their personal feelings intefere with a professional manner in say an online adoption listing...

i hope that all makes sense.

Jules

Magic, motherf@%$*#!

Completely agree! And good for them for bringing out the word what a great kennel he came from!

crazy_paws

No thumbs = No mutiny
The minute I noticed that one of my dogs was missing. I'd be searching can calling all rescues/shelters in my area.

So for me, whether this was okay, depends on how long the stray hold was. I would expect it to have happened after 3+ days.

Members online