Sits and lays down without command

Goddard

Hi all,

My new puppy does really well with the touch and watch commands and he's very into training. However, his default positions seem to be sit and lay down, especially when he's stressed with learning. So it's making it very difficult to teach sit and down. I'm having to teach him to touch or come, then quickly have him sit before he does it himself. Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

Thanks!
Goddard:confused:

Sch3Dana

Workin' Dog
I would work on some more movement exercises for a while until he is constantly anticipating the next move. Then you can occassionally throw in a position. Good movement exercises in addition to touch include place, going to a target for a touch, running around an object (jump standard, footstool, traffic cone), retrieves, and heeling. There are many others, especially if you have access to agility equipment.

Another thing I would do is walk away every time he offers a position that you didn't ask for. Don't reward him by giving his next command, leave him and make him hunt you for the opportunity to work. That should get him thinking :)

Members online