Pulling on lead

Sheka

Kya is pretty good on the lead some of the time, but when she sees some1 she just gets way to excited and wants to drag me there to say hi, but shes really getting strong. What should i do? Evreytime there is a distraction, she pulls like crazy. Any tips, thing i should buy, anything

thanks,
Fransheska

Demonic Angels

always raining
Hi there,
I'm sure some more learned people than I will tell you all sorts of tips and tricks on training Kya, but as a dog walker, I can tell you that a really good training collar that I found is the NewTrix collar. It's similar to a halti, except it's built differently and works in a different way...it's a starting point though, and all my walkers are eventually weaned off it. But I'd see a behaviorist/trainer in your area, and read around the forum, there are lots of threads about dogs who pull.:)

Owly

Hi there!
When you walk your dog on the leash are you giving him any command like "heel",or somethngi which means the same?If yes,then everytime you see the factor that distracts your dog,say the command and pull him back.If he calms down,then praise.Repeat this everytime.You should use a training collar too.
You can also say "leave it" and then pull him back.But you must be perseverent for the dog to know what is exactly what you expect from him.

silverpawz

No Sugar Added
My favorite way to deal with a puller is to 'be unpredictable'. If you see her start to move ahead of you quickly turn and walk in the opposite direction. If she moves ahead again, turn again. The trick is to catch her BEFORE the leash gets tight. You really have to watch your dog and be aware of when she's starting to get ahead and then react.

This teaches her to pay attention to where you're going, you're unpredictable, and a dog that's paying attention to you can't be pulling. This works just fine with a dog that's only pulling when distracted as well. Just keep an eye out for distractions, watch your dog and react when she gets ahead. You can do this with just a regular flat collar, some dogs need training collar to be successful but many 'get it' with a flat.

On some dogs I've had to trun around twenty times before they'd get it together and start to pay attention, some learn much quicker. You just need to be consistant with you're leash walking rules. Decide where you want her and then react when she passes that invisable line. Be sure to praise CALMLY when she's in the right spot. Over excited praise can make your dog excited...and excited dogs are more likely to pull.

Members online

No members online now.