I can't even volunteer at a rescue

Fran27

I wanted to send a volunteer application to a rescue in DE, and as they require two recommendations that are not family I can't even do it :( I don't know anyone in the US, except friends from my husband I barely know... I can't find a job and I can't even volunteer, that just stinks...

Aww I'm sorry! That stinks. Maybe they'd let you volunteer if you printed out some of your posts from here at Chaz and showed it to them?

B

brock23

Come up with a simple little scenario and send it to a couple of members here. Give them a basic back story that they can easily stick to and you will be in. It is not like we are trying to get you into the FBI or CIA academies.

MyDogsLoveMe

My pets love me they do
Fran I imagine that there would be a few here that would be character witnesses for you that have known you since you have been on chaz

RD

Are you dead yet?
I'd be happy to be a reference if you need one, though as I am a minor my opinion most likely won't matter. :rolleyes:

That really bites, I'm sorry!

Mordy

Quigleyfied
Fran, do you have a vet you see on a regular basis? That should count for something.

I would also contact the rescue and talk to them about this, I'm sure they will give you a chance to prove yourself even if your vet is your only non-family reference.

As nice as it would be to have people on the internet help out, I don't think it's something the rescue organization will give much if any credit.

Fran27

They don't want a vet reference either, I guess I can understand that they want to make sure that people can be trusted, but it still bites.

Thanks for the offer guys but I agree with Mordy, I don't think it would work.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Perhaps go out and find a play group for dogs or find some activity you can go out and do to meet new people. meeting new people isn't too hard if you are willing to put some work into it.

Fran27

There's not much around here :( I've always wanted to join a choir for example but everything around here is linked to a school or a church, and I don't want a church choir. I'm not religious and I feel it would be wrong to join some church group just to meet people, when I don't share their beliefs. Honestly it's depressing. There's no dog park etc either.

I volunteered at the SPCA last year, but I really disliked the people there, plus it was really hard for me as I really fell in love with several pets I wanted to take home, and I felt totally useless (wasn't able to go in the afternoon or evenings when they really need people). So not really a good experience - plus I couldn't avoid being mad at how they did nothing for the poor dogs with ear or eye infections.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
So the SPCA didn't require any references?

Do you take your dogs to get groomed? Do you ever leave the house? I dont know what to tell you. Seems that nothing will work for you.

Volunteer at an old folks home. there must be some of those. Make friends with the residents. There has to be SOMETHING around you. Join a sport for fun. SOMETHING. I just find it hard to imagine that there is NO alternative for you. You just have to get up and look for it. perhaps go to the website for your city and find some fun activities you can do

RD

Are you dead yet?
Fran, why wouldn't they take a vet reference? A reference is a reference, and your vet probably has a better idea of how you care for your own dogs than anyone else.
If you take your dogs to obedience classes, the trainer could serve as a reference. (Mine does.)
If there are dog shows anywhere remotely near you, I would absolutely go. It is a great place to meet people, and nearly everybody there is a "dog person" so there is always something to talk about. (Just make sure to talk to people after they show/run, and not before.)

Sparks has given you really good advice. There are ways to do things, although I understand that it's harder to do in a smaller area than it is in a large city.

I agree with you, It is so hard to go to shelters and see how some of the animals are not treated so well.

But remember, if you give them 2 minutes of love... it is better then nothing.

You cant help all the pets in the world. You can only make sure you treat the ones you do have good and do what you can when you can for the rest.

Good Luck finding somewhere to share your services. With all the help they need it is a shame they wont let you help.

Elissa

stevinski

Int CH - $uperBitch
OMG i hate my local shelter, theres only one on the island and OMG talk about, well just dont get me started,
i'm still going there to get my future dog, but thats only cause the dogs need a home and its not my fault they ended up there.
They like hate peeps who keep reptiles and then i was in the pet store showing this lady some pics of sid and liz and then a volunteer from the shelter cums up to me havin a go, and then she has the nerve to tell me to take my herps to the shelter where they could be kept properly, and then!!!, and then!!! she says that i should have a Uv light on my leopard gecko!, omg lets just say i wasnt happy or polite.
anyway, so yeah i'm still gonna get my dog from there but i just dont like them.
So anyway i tried to volunteer in their reptile unit so i could help them give the PROPER care but they turned me away cause i'm 13. and then now they're on the news like we need volunteers. arrrgghhh!

anyway hope everything works out for u fran!

Members online

No members online now.