VFF's for running vs. normal running shoes

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Right now, my running shoes are Nike Darts. I've worn Nike since I was a kid so it's my tried and trusted brand.

However, I'm interested in getting a pair of VFFs solely for running. Pros? Cons? Are they painful at first?

I know there are a bunch of people on here who swear by them. Thanks!

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I think in theory they are a good idea. Much mor enormal foot function, BUT the problem is most people dont' have normal foot function because of decades of wearing shoes. :) It takes time for ligaments and muscles and everything else to adapt so my advice would be to go slow.

I don't have any yet, but have often thought about trying them out. A great friend and very in shape doctor set up his own schedule. Thought he was doing slow and allowing for his body to adapt over a summer. His goal was a marathon in the VFF's. He did it, but not without giving himself a nice stress fracture in his foot and having to ditch one marathon and do another much later :)

was it because of the shoes? I don't know, stress fractures happen to lots of people for lots of reasons. I know I'd take my time, and I wouldn't be running on roads for quite a while with them.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I have Nike IDs and I love them.. lol got them personalized so they say "EATMY DUST" on them (you can also personalized color, laces, sole, support, etc..etc.)
They are great running shoes! I am more of a sidewalk runner so they are great for that :) the bottoms are kinda.. bendy..

As for VFFS, (looks aside.. lol) I also know people that swear by them running wise! As somebody who does most of her running on sidewalks/treadmills and doesn't have any leg/foot issues/pain.. I didn't look into them. but people, especially those who run outdoors on all terrain, seem to love em!

I would try on both! Shoe stores especially have a great return policy.. walk around your house for a bit in each and feel em out lol

katielou

Slave to the Aussie
I personally will never run in Anything else and I spend the weekend with a woman that ran 14 marathons in then last year ( she also said you don't need to replace then near as often as normal running shoes. Most normal shoes are rated to like 80 miles)

I had been walking and hiking in vff for about 3 months before I began to run and so never had any real adjustment period.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
I have Nike IDs and I love them.. lol got them personalized so they say "EATMY DUST" on them (you can also personalized color, laces, sole, support, etc..etc.)
They are great running shoes! I am more of a sidewalk runner so they are great for that :) the bottoms are kinda.. bendy..

As for VFFS, (looks aside.. lol) I also know people that swear by them running wise! As somebody who does most of her running on sidewalks/treadmills and doesn't have any leg/foot issues/pain.. I didn't look into them. but people, especially those who run outdoors on all terrain, seem to love em!

I would try on both! Shoe stores especially have a great return policy.. walk around your house for a bit in each and feel em out lol
These.

Nike makes some of the best running shoes EVER. I run in just "plain" pink and white Nikes.

SaraB

I couldn't get past Nike hiring Vick for ads again so I just bought a new pair of New Balance running shoes. So far, I really love them! I don't run in the winter because of the cold and me being a giant wuss, but they are working really really well for indoor agility.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I have a pair of Nike running shoes and a pair of VFF's and I do have to say I run better in my VFF's. I don't heal strike as much or have to worry about my form or how I'm running nearly as much as regular running shoes. They seem to keep me on the ball of my foot instead of on my heel which is great for me.

I do wear my Regular Nike's every once in a while, mostly when it is super wet and cold out. The VFF's don't stop the mud or wet from coming in so they can chill my feet to omuch sometimes. When it's dry and cold I don't have a problem once I start running, it's only when it's really chilly and really wet (like huge puddles everywhere type wet, not just water on the ground).

Question can you wear VFF's for hiking as in hiking I mean like moutian terrain hiking . The terrian can be very rocky. Or would that just ruin a pair of VFF's
I wear mine when I go hiking, or trail running. There are a lot of boulders/rocks, but I don't have any problems. Honestly, I feel like I've got better grip with my VFF's than with my Nike's. But I've also got VFF's with a thicker sole made for all terrain running.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
I have a pair of Nike running shoes and a pair of VFF's and I do have to say I run better in my VFF's. I don't heal strike as much or have to worry about my form or how I'm running nearly as much as regular running shoes. They seem to keep me on the ball of my foot instead of on my heel which is great for me.

I do wear my Regular Nike's every once in a while, mostly when it is super wet and cold out. The VFF's don't stop the mud or wet from coming in so they can chill my feet to omuch sometimes. When it's dry and cold I don't have a problem once I start running, it's only when it's really chilly and really wet (like huge puddles everywhere type wet, not just water on the ground).

I wear mine when I go hiking, or trail running. There are a lot of boulders/rocks, but I don't have any problems. Honestly, I feel like I've got better grip with my VFF's than with my Nike's. But I've also got VFF's with a thicker sole made for all terrain running.
Thanks I will have to look more into it. Alot of the hiking there is alot of shail. I know when I wore a pair of running shoe nike's they got totally ruined. I might just have to buy a pair a sweet hiking boots for that terrain.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I definitely second the working up to full activity when trying VFFs for *any* activity, not just running! They will work muscles you didn't know you had initially.

I <3 my VFFs for running and hiking both. Running I'm not uber serious (just doing some C25K stuff here and there), but for once my shins and achilles tendons don't hurt after a run and that used to be a constant problem in regular running shoes.

Do keep in mind that you'll need to change your running style to strike on the fore or mid foot vs. heel striking or you can seriously hurt yourself since VFFs have no cushioning to speak of and feet are designed to absorb impacts in the fore or midfoot running style, not heelstriking. Of course that's kind of the point of VFFs - they are designed to teach/allow you to run more naturally!

I prefer my VFF KomodoSports to any of my other VFFs for running.

Video comparing my running in regular running shoes, VFFs, and barefoot:
http://youtu.be/P4hkNdDs_3o

For hiking, I swear I feel more balanced in VFFs than hiking boots and I know for sure that I am more surefooted on very uneven or wet surfaces. I find myself slipping a lot less! I wear my VFF TrekSports for hiking because they have a thicker sole - helpful on rocky surfaces as it smooths out all but the roughest points. I've hiked up to 8 miles at a time in the TrekSports without issue and my feet were much happier at the end than in boots.

Saeleofu

I personally will never run in Anything else
Same here. And nothing other than KSOs or those with a similar sole. I wore a pair of bikilas for a while and it was AWFUL. KSOs, sprints, classics and flows all have the same type of sole, I believe.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
You Can Wear VFFs For Anything.

:)

Running definitely has to be built up slowly. I just started interval running with them once a week (using runners otherwise) and built it up as I felt comfortable. Now I run in them exclusively. It's very important to make sure you're striking with the ball of your foot - it's the core of barefoot running and how all runners -should- naturally run (heels strikes cause knee and shin issues, including shin splints).

Sael, I love my Bikilas for running, more than my KSOs. My KSOs are my everyday VFF and my Bikilas are my running pair. Personal preference. :D

LauraLeigh

Is it sad I did not even know what you all were talking about !?

I had never heard of VFF's after watching the video, there's NO way I think I could wear those!!!! I can't even stand a sandal that has a toe strap! Socks with toes drive me crazy...

I can see on the video the point of them... But.....

Dekka

Just try me..
For those who have come from running in running shoes.. did you have a gait analysis done? or did you just go with shoes that were a brand you liked/looked good/ or seemed comfy?

I have some asics that are really good for my feet (so far have yet to meet a Nike shoe that would work...) but would like to try VFFs. I go barefoot all the time, out around the farm etc. But when people say they are better, are they better than an appropriate running shoe for your gait, foot strike and foot conformation?

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
For those who have come from running in running shoes.. did you have a gait analysis done? or did you just go with shoes that were a brand you liked/looked good/ or seemed comfy?

I have some asics that are really good for my feet (so far have yet to meet a Nike shoe that would work...) but would like to try VFFs. I go barefoot all the time, out around the farm etc. But when people say they are better, are they better than an appropriate running shoe for your gait, foot strike and foot conformation?
Personally I find it more difficult in my fancy pronation Asics to ball-strike correctly than in my VFFs. I still do it because my foot is now trained to, but it feels awkward. I think it's just because I'm used to the VFFs - most runners learn to strike correctly with the ball of their foot with runners, so I know it's not impossible or particularly difficult... I think that )IMO) it's easier in VFFs because they simulate being barefoot.

I had a gait analysis done for my Asics.

Members online

No members online now.