how did you learn/start grooming?

milos_mommy

I was just wondering how the other groomers here learned their trade or got started?

I got a job basically just until I can go to college as a dog bather, but in doing so I'm really interested in learning grooming. I'm starting to learn a little bit from the groomer who owns the store I work in. She took classes at BOCES and she taught the other groomer there who started as a bather.

Did you take a class? Apprentice? Self-taught? Etc?

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I don't know anything about grooming but I would LOVE to learn. I want to be able to hand-strip because I LURVE the look. Also want to be able to have an ESS and have it look like they look in the show ring.

Didn't really help your thread at all :p

D'tailsDogGrooming

Professional Groomer
I learned through PetSmart's training program, apprenticing with another groomer, and a TON of research. I didn't feel that PetSmart gave me enough training for everything that I wanted to know but they did a great job laying the basic foundations.

If you're interested in learning how to groom and starting a new career I highly recommend PetGroomer.com and PetGroomerForums.com. They are the largest online community of professional groomers and have an entire section just for career seekers. Check it out! I have learned so much from this forum and would not be the groomer I am today without it.

I'm a apprentice at the grooming shop I work at.
I'm also some what self teaching myself. On friends dogs, who know I may not tdo a wonderful dog, but Im much cheaper then grooming shops lol. I can do a decent job, but need more practice until IM happy with my work, which wont be for years Im sure.

Saintgirl

I did an apprenticeship with a master groomer who is still my mentor, in fact I work in her shop. I looked over all of my options and almost went to a grooming school. Not only is a school very expensive, it did not offer the amount of hands on that I think is very important for learning. It is easy to read a technique but putting that technique to practise is entirely another thing. For example in my area Westies are one of the #1 BYB's choice dogs, and they have horrible westie fur. So reading about a proper westie style and putting it to practise are two different things. The other thing that I really like about doing an apprenticeship is that it is a one on one thing. Oh, and it is usually cheaper for a higher quality education.

The down side of doing an apprenticeship is that it can be hard to find a GOOD master groomer who will take on an apprentice. Don't settle for a so-so groomer teaching you the trade because then you will only learn so-so skills.

I do not ever recommend an online grooming course. A waste of money IMO.

I did a part time course so i could learn as well as working at the same time as I could not afford full time study, why not see if there are any courses in your area

hyperloz

I started by doing work-experience for an Animal Management course at college. I worked 1 day a week, then they employed me for Saturdays. Now I work full time after leaving college. And I agree with Saintgirl, we've heard of plenty of people who took some courses online, and by the end of it, they WERE fully qualified, but hand no hands-on experience with the grooming.

Good luck anyway!

XXxxLOZxxXX

Members online