Scraping tartar at home?

ACooper

Anyone do this? Ever?

Orson is 9 now. He's never had (or needed) a dental, but I have now noticed a tiny bit of tartar build up on his farthest back molars.

He has/devours his RMBs, and compared to other dogs we know (even much younger dogs!) his teeth look EXCELLENT...but...I also know tartar can get out of control FAST and cause other health issues.

The older he gets, the more stressed he is about going to the vet. A quick exam and vax isn't so bad, but if we can avoid leaving him there and putting him under....I want that option.

I've noticed on youtube DIY dog dental videos and would like to hear from experience here. Trust is not an issue. We trust each other completely....he lays down for his nail dremmel, ear cleaning, bump/scrapes care, tooth brushing, etc etc. and I'm pretty confident he'd let me try to clean his teeth as well.

Barb04

Super Moderator
never tried doing that

I do use Tropiclean which helps their teeth. A lady who runs a rescue told me she uses this with good success.

krissy

There are multiple problems with "anesthetic free dentals".

1. You can't get under the gums, and that's the most important part.
2. You can't polish (well, you can if you have a machine... but most don't) which is vitally important. Scaling teeth causes micro scratches in the tooth enamel, and scratches promote the accumulation of plaque/tartar... so the teeth will get worse more quickly.
3. It's pretty hard to do the inside of the mouth. Fortunately, not as much accumulates on the inside, but still, it's good to check for problems.

If the teeth aren't that bad, there are things you can do at home to promote good oral health (daily brushing, water additives, dental foods). If they are bad enough to require dental work, you should have it done properly under anesthetic. I recommend taking him in for a dental consult to find out.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
^ Ditto the above. Hand scaling is only cosmetic as most problems take place under the gumline.

JacksonsMom

There are multiple problems with "anesthetic free dentals".

1. You can't get under the gums, and that's the most important part.
2. You can't polish (well, you can if you have a machine... but most don't) which is vitally important. Scaling teeth causes micro scratches in the tooth enamel, and scratches promote the accumulation of plaque/tartar... so the teeth will get worse more quickly.
3. It's pretty hard to do the inside of the mouth. Fortunately, not as much accumulates on the inside, but still, it's good to check for problems.

If the teeth aren't that bad, there are things you can do at home to promote good oral health (daily brushing, water additives, dental foods). If they are bad enough to require dental work, you should have it done properly under anesthetic. I recommend taking him in for a dental consult to find out.
^ That's what I was going to say but you saved me from typing it.

ACooper

Ah, thank you Barb and Krissy....good information!

They aren't remotely bad (IMO) I can just now see a bit of tartar forming at the tops (by gums) of his molars and now where else. All other teeth are sparkling white.

He was just in for his rabies vax in march and vet said his teeth looked good, but I wanted to 'nip in the bud' any potentials because I want to avoid him going under at all costs.

krissy

Your best bet is to brush teeth daily if you aren't already doing so. If you are, then I'd consider adding a proven water additive, like Healthy Mouth, or a prescription dental food.

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
Worst vet student ever here - when I noticed Rage starting to accumulate a little tartar, I scaled off the tartar myself (bought a hand scaler) and began brushing daily.

That said, when I was working at the clinic, I took them in for dentals as needed. So she has had a dental in the last year, I just don't intend for her to need another.

Liz's teeth are a lost cause - I put her under for a dental, and we determined every tooth in her head is dead. I keep them clean-ish, but she looks like a komodo dragon or something.

Members online

No members online now.