Attention: Parents And Children (rant, maybe offensive)

Romy

Taxiderpy
When we take Aurelia, she stays above waist level at ALL times.

One time I was at the dog park in Tucson and there was this lady with 7 children with her. I do not know if they were all hers, but they were all under 10. They were sitting in the dirt/sand building dog poop/pee sand castles, and toddlers were eating it!!! She even left them alone in there. Luckily Strider loves children, and the only other dogs were two extremely well behaved pits, but seriously. Just because the dog park is fenced in doesn't mean you can turn your children loose and leave them. I wish one of us had had a phone because we wanted to call the police and report a mob of abandoned children. She came back and got them finally. If one of us wanted to walk off with a couple of the kids we could have. :mad:

i think there should be age restrictions at dog parks. maybe 16 years old, minimum. it just makes no sense to have small children around unleashed dogs. i don't really know why it's allowed. even well-supervised children are at risk.
Elgancho, I'm 13 and don't do any of that. I'm actually in an animal education program at our school to teach younger kids dog safety. I don't bug people at dog parks, or their dogs.

I bring my dog there, I've gone there once by myself, but normally I go with my dad and my step-moms labrador along with my dog Avalanche. The most I've done was talk to a lady who had a great dane puppy. I thought I'd talk to her and learn more about the breed.

adojrts

Once I was at the dog park in the evening, and there were two kids in there with a beautiful, but truly emaciated Silky Terrier. The dog was just gorgeous, until you petted him at which point your hand literally bumped over the spine.

The girl looked to be about ten and her brother about 5 or 6. They were perfectly well behaved, but unaccompanied by any adult and barely spoke English.

It got dark, everyone left except for them and me, and one gentleman, who decided to wait it out with me. We were able to glean that their dad had recently gotten the dog, that they were there with their big sister, and that she had gone into the woods with her boyfriend (??!!)

It was pitch dark and we had been waiting about an hour and a half when the sister appeared from the woods. She wouldn't say a word to us, and just took off with kids and dog.

I have never seen them again. I don't know if the dog is OK, it was on the verge of starvation, I wish the parents knew what big sis was doing while she was supposed to be watching those kids.

I would have made two phone calls, first one to the police and the second to the H.S.

Miss Jack

Jack 27/09/94-06/12/07
I was once walking Jack on a long leash when a child of about three ran up to him and before I could react she threw her arms around his neck put her face to his face and hugged him tight!

We were all lucky that Jack had seen the tot (he was obviously paying more attention to his surroundings than me) He didn't object I DID

Her mother was a few yards behind pushing an empty stroller. I pointed out to her it might be prudent to teach her daughter not to approach strange dogs let along hug one.

Guess what she said? "Oh it's OK I told her she could go hug the teddy doggy" at the time Jack was due a haircut and did indeed look like an over grown teddy. A teddy that weighed 40lbs. Was taller than the tot and had lots of sharp teeth. We had even more words as I explained I personally new 2 Airedale 'Teddies' who would have without any warning bitten into her daughters pretty face.

She was indeed lucky! Even the most benign dog could reasonably react sharply to an "attack" like that! I think sometimes dogs have a whole lot more sense than most people.

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
I would have made two phone calls, first one to the police and the second to the H.S.
I think I was sort of in shock. I know I didn't think to get a plate number until it was too late. It was so weird, because you don't see a lot of Silkies, and yes, I know the difference and it was not an overgrown Yorkie- you do see a lot of those.

Also, one time a guy brought in three kids along with a dog they were dog sitting. The kids were scared of dogs. Uncle Fred likes kids, so he ran up to look at them and said , "AROOOOOOO" They all jumped on a bench in a row and wouldn't come down until I took Uncle Fred all the way to the other side. He thought it was a great game. Someone proceeded to rename him a Benching Walker Kidhound.

mrose_s

BusterLove
I love how if a dog ever reacts to this kind of behaviour it will be the "monster dogs fault" not the negligent parent/guardian. :rolleyes:

goosey

I don't mind kids talking to Mac at the markets or places like that as long as they ask first, but when they don't I just feel like biting them myself to teach them a lesson.

But at a dog park.
Realy how stupid do some parents get.

Members online

No members online now.