Breed Suggestion?

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Not for me. But a good friend of my fiance just lost his 18 year old Sheltie-mix to kidney failure. And we are trying to help him think about another dog. But we're having some trouble thinking of a breed . . . so I thought I'd put it out there:

The prospective owner:

Lives in Phoenix, so HOT!

Owns a house with a yard

Travels alot, so would need a portable dog (not TOO big); but he's traveling by car, not plane, so it doesn't have to be tiny . . .just small enough that he can find hotels that will accept it.

Likes "cuddly" dogs

Is very overweight . . . he'll walk the dog religiously, but it needs to be something he can keep up with

Has a quirky sense of humor

Has obnoxious relations that barge into the house without warning, often making lots of noise and yelling. (In fact, one reason we are trying to encourage him to get another dog now is that we are terrified that his mother will deposit something totally inapproprate from a puppy mill with him . . . even if he tells her not to. She DOES things like that)

The previous dog was a Sheltie-mix . . . I suspected some Corgi and maybe Golden in there as well . . . friendly, happy little dog.

So, ideas? Everything I can think of off hand falls down on one of the requirements . . . or, like a miniature poodle, is something I know we couldn't talk him into.

Last edited:

jess2416

Who woulda thought
What about a cavalier... although with them its important to find a breeder that does health testing..

They can be prone to lots of health problems such as MVD, SYRINGOMYELIA, and a number of other problems

showpug

He sounds like a pug man if it wasn't so hot where he lives!:( Darn!!!

I'll keep thinking...

bubbatd

Many of my Golden owners had former shelties and some moved on to shelties when their golden's died . Size isn't a problem to me . All my Goldens love traveling and were layed back . Really , motels would rather have a big dog than a yippy poo-poo dog !

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
maybe he could check out a shelter, you never know, the perfect dog might be there! :D
That is definately an option . . . but we want him to at least be able to say to his mother that he has a certain breed in mind and is looking at breeders/breed rescues . . . Otherwise she might just dump something she thought was "cute" on him. . . if he says shelter, god knows what she might bring him.

So . . . we want him to have something in mind and check it out . . . if he ends up going to the shelter and bringing home a mutt or a rescue, so much the better! I think he needs to have something in mind though . . . and I'm pretty sure if he does he'll look at breed rescues.

darkchild16

We are Home.
what about a Havanese. Whisper loves to camp and be brushed about every other day, low maintence in the activity dept, smart, pretty much wash and wear besides the brushing which takes all of 10 minutes, only around 10 lbs, if they dont like someone at least in whispers case she just goes away to her spot.

or maybe a mini schnauzer (sp?)?

RD

Are you dead yet?
Whippet came to mind immediately. Awesome, friendly, lovable dogs. They'r smallish in size and they tolerate the heat better than most breeds (but obviously still need lots of protection during the summer, as any dog does in this ungodly climate). As adults, they are low key as far as exercise goes - they seem content to be housedogs and get a daily walk and a good hard run several times a week in a safely fenced area.

darkchild16

We are Home.
they are a good choice IF they do not have the same type of puppy hood as greys LOL. I have never been around a puppy whippet. Are they as hyper as greys when they are puppies?

hmontesjr

Whippet came to mind immediately. Awesome, friendly, lovable dogs. They'r smallish in size and they tolerate the heat better than most breeds (but obviously still need lots of protection during the summer, as any dog does in this ungodly climate). As adults, they are low key as far as exercise goes - they seem content to be housedogs and get a daily walk and a good hard run several times a week in a safely fenced area.

I was thinking Italian Greyhound, a Whippet would enjoy a runners pace, no?

VERY cuddley!

Dekka

Just try me..
I would say whippet too. The pups we have are a bit rowdy, but way more rowdy than most. IG are a bit more difficult than whippets from what I understand...was talking to a very successful (conf and racing) breeder of whippets and iggies, the whippets seemed a lot more mellow and easy going.

I am sure there are whippets in rescue too :D

RD

Are you dead yet?
I was thinking Italian Greyhound, a Whippet would enjoy a runners pace, no?

VERY cuddley!
I find that Iggies have a more nervous disposition and have heard of some major housetraining issues within the breed. And, frankly, a large person with a tiny and extremely fragile dog is probably not the easiest match to make. An IG could work, but I just got the impression that a slightly larger, more stable dog would be better.

Whippets like walks and runs, and our running to them is just a brisk walk. ;) IMO they need off-lead exercise periodically in order to really run.

Dekka

Just try me..
Iggies can really run too. Actually many breeds would need off leash running time. JRTs are small but need time to stretch those legs, and lungs. Does he have a fenced yard?

noludoru

Bored Now.
retired Racing Greyhound. There are loads of rescues just in the area. They aren't "small" but they are highly portable and low-energy, and people are very accepting of them.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
They aren't "small" but they are highly portable and low-energy, and people are very accepting of them.
What type of car does he drive. I wouldn't want to drive all over with a Grey in a little car.

Paige

Let it be
A Miley!

She's mostly Maltese/Shih Tzu and she is terrific. I wouldn't suggest going out and buying one seeing as byb are the only ones who breed them (or puppy mills) but there is alway something of their sort kicking around. As far as small dogs go I enjoy both breeds.

Members online

No members online now.