How bad are fleas and ticks in your area?

Picklepaige

It depends on where you go here, really. My pets have never had a single flea on them, we don't use prevention, and we go walking through the woods a whole lot. And Maggie has probably had five ticks on her in the entire time we've had her.

I go walking around in deep woods a lot, and I've only had one tick on me. My friend however, always ends up with ticks on him, and this is when we're walking together. I think it might be because they grab on his leg hair, because I don't have any haha.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
We've never had an issue with fleas and ticks, never used preventative, and basically love in the woods. However, we've had a few ferrets come in to rescue as strays that were covered in both. So I think it depends on... Something.

Keechak

Aussie Obssessed
In Wisconsin there are hardly any fleas except for the fleas they can get from gnawing on a freshly killed rabbit. but there are no fleas that live in the fields or grass or anything like that.

As for ticks, there are no ticks in the fields at my house but driving only 5 minutes away my dogs will pick up ticks in the woods and fields. Our house is in the tickless twilight zone.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Never had an issue with fleas or ticks before...and I've already had to pull a tick each off the dog and cat. And at the clinic, we have had at LEAST five dogs come in with tick infestations.

Needless to say, Parastar went on all of the dogs, and Apollo got dosed with EasySpot.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Fleas, not so bad.

Ticks...... I live in sheep country. Yak. I HATE ticks. Hate hate hate hate hate.

We didn't seem to get many last year. One year I visited where I live now for a couple of days and found 14 on Bodhi :( seems to vary a lot year to year. If I ever find one on myself, I may have to hack a limb off.

I'm super paranoid I have nits at the moment due to a client I work with.. So a tick may finish me off.

Losech

Depends on where you go around here and the season. I hike with my dogs a lot and sometimes they get a bunch of ticks, othertimes they get few or none. They very rarely pick up fleas, usually from someone else's dog if they do.
I always brush them off and go over them with flea comb after a hike and several times a week. I usually only find buggers after a hike or if they've been around another dog.

I don't use chemical prevenatives for fleas or ticks.

Danefied

Fleas? Some folks really struggle with them, for some reason, we don't.
Ticks though? OMG... I've already pulled attached ones off me, and both kids, tons off the dogs this season. You don't even want to know where the last one attached...

Uh... how do I keep getting the "how many ears do dogs have" question wrong?

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
We don't seem to have flea issues (some people do, but we don't seem to), but ticks...so many ticks...I *hate* ticks!

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Neither really seem to be an issue. I've never worried about fleas, and don't know anyone that has had an issue with fleas... even at work, the only case of fleas I've seen was on a feral cat that animal control had picked up.

Ticks, I suppose it depends. It seems like some people have a huge issue with them, others don't. Me, I've never had an issue with them. Even just on MYSELF, I've had friends that complain every time they go in the woods they have to pull ticks off themselves when they get home. And I'm just like, that's disgusting lol I've never found a tick on me. I have pulled a total of 2 ticks off Juno. None of my other pets have ever had one.

I use preventatives sporadically. With a short haired dog, I figure it's just easier to look her over and pull them off. Guess we'll see what ends up happening with Happy.

Lyzelle

It depends on where you go here, really. My pets have never had a single flea on them, we don't use prevention, and we go walking through the woods a whole lot. And Maggie has probably had five ticks on her in the entire time we've had her.

I go walking around in deep woods a lot, and I've only had one tick on me. My friend however, always ends up with ticks on him, and this is when we're walking together. I think it might be because they grab on his leg hair, because I don't have any haha.
Pretty much this.

They CAN get RIDICULOUSLY BAD down here. Like epidemic and you want them in a plastic bubble bad. Like, one day your apartment is infested with fleas bad.

But other times, you can tempt fate for years and never get them. It seems worse the closer to Memphis you get. Woods aren't really that bad.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Never had a flea problem, but ticks thrive out here. Millie once even had tick fever. :/
When Lucy came home she brought ticks along with her- lots and lots of baby ticks. Absolutely disgusting. She slept in my bed, so she got my bedroom and ME infested as well.
*shudders from the memory*

Fortunately for some reason I haven't seen them on my dogs in years, but they pop up on other people's dogs and livestock a lot.

Toller_08

Neither seem to be an issue here. Apparently dog lice can be though, and I'm not in the woods enough to know what ticks are really like around here. But my dogs and I are pretty active during spring/summer and I have never seen a tick or a flea or lice on any of my dogs ever, and they are never on any sort of preventative. And since I'm not used to anything like that, if I ever do find something on me or my dogs, I would freak out lol. Crawly things and I are not friends.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Fleas are only a problem here when you have cats, which we did have one up until this year and are still fighting it off and on.

Ticks aren't horrible... but they're around. Mosquitos are bad. Gotta pick up this years meds soon too now that I think about it.

Members online