Vibes for Dameon

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
For a few months now Dameon has had some loose stool issues...four days ago they became completely liquid stools that were foul smelling. Now he isn't eating, is drinking more than normal, not taking his meds (which he loves), teeth grinding, is very lethargic, and has lost almost a pound in four days. :( Just trying to get the Pred and metronidazol down his throat is causing him to gag and vomit.

Took him to the vet today, we sent out bloodwork, results will be in tomorrow. Right now the prognosis isn't very good. :( His blood glucose is where is should be, which means the pred is working for his Insulinoma...so we're thinking either lymphoma, cushings, or some kind of cancer in his intestines.

Vibes for my boy would be much appreciated. :( He'll be seven the 6th of January...but I'm not ready to let him go yet. :(

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Hm... cancer wouldn't really cause foul-smelling poop. Also, if there was a tumour in his stomach, for it to be that bad, you would feel it, you wouldn't need blood work -- his tummy would be rock hard.

Honestly, that all screams an ulcer to me. Not eating because of pain while eating, so lethargic because he's not eating. Teeth grinding is, again, a sign of pain. We're dealing with a possible atypical ulcer right now with Nacho -- he doesn't have diarrhea but all the other signs fit.

As far as the weight loss, I can see it. He's an older ferret, not eating for a few days will do that.

Personally, I'd do duck soup (with pumpkin) every few hours, syringe feed if necessary, and then Metro/Pepto 3X day and Amoxil 2X day for 21 days.

Ferret's don't get Cushings. They get Adrenal, which wouldn't be showing symptoms since he's being treated for Insulinoma.

Lots of <<<<<<vibes>>>>>> for the little guy!

Taqroy

****vibes**** and (((hugs))) for you. I hope you guys can figure out what's going on and that it's easily treatable!

*blackrose

Personally, I'd do duck soup (with pumpkin) every few hours, syringe feed if necessary, and then Metro/Pepto 3X day and Amoxil 2X day for 21 days.
Yah, that is basically the course we've decided on. Right now the issue is getting him to eat. He won't touch anything, including Ferretone. Forcing the meds down his throat sends him into a heaving spell and then he just sits there and acts like he's having a mini seizure spell (blank stare, drooling, uncoordination). I hate doing that to him, but he HAS to have the meds.

He's also started teeth grinding after drinking, so I know he's painful for that as well and he definitely needs to keep on drinking. He was a tad bit dehydrated (nothing major) and that was after his drinking habits increased...can't imagine what will happen if he stops drinking all together.

Bloodwork was inconclusive. Some weird values that corresponded to his diarrhea, and his leukocytes were also out of wack (although I'm almost thinking the vet said they were really, really low, not too high). All his major organs are functioning normally.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Glad his blood work came back inconclusive! Means its likely nothing major, really :) I'm really leaning towards its an ulcer then... good news is it likely didn't rupture or the blood work would show that.

*blackrose

Well, he was worse this morning. Major teeth grinding even when just laying down, and he didn't want to get up at all. Still not eating, and when I offered him his treats he acted barely interested. He wouldn't even eat his super special awesome favorite thing ever (cereal). I don't know if he's drinking anymore, either.

I'm hoping I will see an improvement when I get home from work tonight now that there has been time for the meds to kick in...but I just don't know. :(

*blackrose

A bit better today, but not by much. Still not eating and he's a bit dehydrated. The only food he has any interest in eating is his treats, his supplements, and my cereal so that's what we've been doing, but even eating a little piece at a time is causing him to teeth grind and then he stops. Giving him his meds is still a chore, but he took his pred better today. He's still super lethargic, but maybe a smidge more alert althouh his coordination is off and he holds himself oddly. He did have a cow patty poop last night instead of liquid poop, but that has been the only bowel movement he's made since yesterday.

So its still a wait and see. I'm hoping by the end of the weekend I'll have seen an improvement or I don't know what my next step will be.

*blackrose

Not doing so hot tonight. :( Much more dehydrated, much more painful, and I don't think he's urinated or defecated all day. He's lost more weight as he's still not eating. Forced some meds and water down his throat and got him to eat a bit, but he was super painful the entire time.

Asked the vets when I should start seeing an improvement if there is going to be one and she said that, at least with cats and dogs, there should be one in 48 hours with the meds he's on. I'm not seeing it.

So I'm going to see how he is tomorrow and go from there, and will probably try to push through the weekend just encase. Maybe do some sub-q fluids. But right now its not looking too good. :(

Keep us in your thoughts, please.

*blackrose

I will be having Dameon put down tomorrow. :( He's continued to decline, even with the medication and it is time. He is in so much pain and has lost his spark.

Still can't quite believe this is happening.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I'm really sorry hon. =< Not fair at all. Just so unbelievably sorry. ((((HUGS))))

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
I'm so sorry to hear, and the fact that you love him enough to make that choice for him, speaks volumes. From the sounds of it, he had an awesome life and that's more than a lot of pets could even dream of.. knowing what it's like to be loved so much.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
(((((Hug))))))) I wish there was more I could say. :( Dameon loves you and has had a beautiful life with you. You're doing the right thing.

Members online

No members online now.