Started Protection Training!

FG167

I bought Kastle while I was in MI. The club I was training with for Schutzhund/IPO disbanded shortly after I got him.

The next club I was looking at didn't actually train all three phases: no tracking, a *tiny* bit of obedience, emphasis in protection.

We switched clubs and shortly after that, Kastle bashed out his front two teeth. So, we took another break from protection while I worked with him on my own for obedience and tracking.

Then we moved to TN. Our jobs' hours have been intense and the TD for the club I was most interested in was competing at World's and Nationals so we were at a bit of a stand still.

Last weekend we made it out to club training and made the commitment to stick with this club and I am SO EXCITED! The TD is amazing and his methods coincide extremely tightly with Kastle's foundation so it's been an almost seamless transition. Both in terms of what Kastle is used to/understands/expects and the way that I handle. He did very well in all three phases and we have homework to work on for tracking and obedience (which is my favorite phase so I am super excited). We also officially started protection - yay! I feel like I've been waiting, patiently, forever to get really started in the sport that I bought him for!

Barb04

Super Moderator
That's so great that you were able to find the perfect place to train. OK, those open mouth pics are scarey. I think he's doing a great job!

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I'm sorry but those first two photos are as adorable as my protection dog is goofy. LOL

I'm so glad you found a club! We've not started the search since moving but we're on our way, I hope we find the same success.

Equinox

YAY!! Glad you finally found a club and that you and Kastle meshed so well with the TD!

Kastle looks GREAT. The barking photos are impressive (tooth gap and all!) and love the last one of him taking that full bite :)

FG167

That's so great that you were able to find the perfect place to train. OK, those open mouth pics are scarey. I think he's doing a great job!
Thanks!

He looks the same when he barks at me for a ball, or food, or because he's too hyper LOL so I see that face a lot ;)

I'm sorry but those first two photos are as adorable as my protection dog is goofy. LOL

I'm so glad you found a club! We've not started the search since moving but we're on our way, I hope we find the same success.
LOL I know! That's why I posted them! He has no "real" aggression yet, he just likes to run his mouth. He's too young to have anything to back it up yet. I'm ok with letting him grow up though, so no big deal. But, I love the alert, "oh boy this looks like fun" expression on his face :)

It took FOREVER before we found one that meshed. I've been looking for 2 years now to feel "at home". Good luck, it's hard. I hope something happens for you quickly!

YAY!! Glad you finally found a club and that you and Kastle meshed so well with the TD!

Kastle looks GREAT. The barking photos are impressive (tooth gap and all!) and love the last one of him taking that full bite :)
I'm pretty sure you know them Grace, Sue and Gabor ;)

Thank you! His grip is his biggest downfall out of all three phases right now so we've been working on it a lot.

monkeys23

That is so awesome! He looks great!

Scout gets the same dorky grin before going into bark mode. But she is mature enough now that she's pretty serious toward the decoy. While still having fun of course! We only work with a 24" tug though... its like big puppy games for her what with being a recyled dog and all. Really good release of tension for her as well as building confidence.

I had a non-dog issue with my TD/decoy though so we've not done it in a while (and I really dislike the infighting crap the people in the two local clubs do... so I'd rather not be a part of that which is sad pandas) and we just started learning agility, which apparently is a super hard mental workout! Both konked after our lesson yesterday. There is way more opportunity to trial in agility, rally, herding, etc. so thus far I've been really pleased in my decision to kind of change focus. Its made things a lot more fun because whats the point in training if there's only one local trial a year and you don't have the funds for traveling every weekend? ;) Whew you probably don't care, sorry I went off on a tangent! :)

Members online

No members online now.