Large Breed Dog Owners, Looking for Shoes

Alex

Hello All,

I have a 5 month Newfoundland who has Hip Dysplasia. Unfortunately, the floors in my home are hard wood, and he is slipping around almost constantly. I have purchased 20 or so rugs to cover much of the house, but he is still sliding around on any exposed flooring. I do not have the means to have my floors redone, so I am looking for some non skid shoes. I purchased a pair from a local store, but they have leather on the bottom and it's not helping, plus they keep slipping off. I have seen a few websites advertising the sale of shoes, but I wanted to see if any of you have had positive experiences with any particular kinds.

Thank you in advance. :)

C

cindr

Hello All,

I have a 5 month Newfoundland who has Hip Dysplasia. Unfortunately, the floors in my home are hard wood, and he is slipping around almost constantly. I have purchased 20 or so rugs to cover much of the house, but he is still sliding around on any exposed flooring. I do not have the means to have my floors redone, so I am looking for some non skid shoes. I purchased a pair from a local store, but they have leather on the bottom and it's not helping, plus they keep slipping off. I have seen a few websites advertising the sale of shoes, but I wanted to see if any of you have had positive experiences with any particular kinds.

Thank you in advance. :)
Hi what degree is the poor dogs hip displacia? 1st, 2nd, 3rd or crippling? Have you discussed the situation with your breeder? What is your guarantee's? This is a classic form of improper breeding for a dog that young to have the problem.

I am a firm beleiver that no dog should suffer, and would do what was best for the dog. Your floors and throw rugs will only enhance the dogs problems and his pain. As far as the shoes what is the sense? He is simply in major pain already. So It would be fair to do right by the dog to put him out of his missery. This may sound hurtful and cruel but think about what you are doing to the dog.

Alex

by floors redone, do you mean wall to wall carpeting? you could try getting shoes designed for dogs, not people.

I googled dog shoes and one of the sites i got was this http://www.handsnpaws.com/category/dogboots/
I can not afford to install wall to wall carpeting in my home, especially with thousands of dollars in surgery looming in the future. The shoes I tried were dog shoes. They were actually the exact same thing that you just posted in that link.

Hi what degree is the poor dogs hip displacia? 1st, 2nd, 3rd or crippling? Have you discussed the situation with your breeder? What is your guarantee's? This is a classic form of improper breeding for a dog that young to have the problem.

I am a firm beleiver that no dog should suffer, and would do what was best for the dog. Your floors and throw rugs will only enhance the dogs problems and his pain. As far as the shoes what is the sense? He is simply in major pain already. So It would be fair to do right by the dog to put him out of his missery. This may sound hurtful and cruel but think about what you are doing to the dog.
The puppy is only 18 weeks old. I actually took him in because the breeder was going to have him put down. I have had x-rays done and hip dysplasia was the conclusion. I have a PennHip appointment at the end of the month, and once we get the results from them, I will be taking action. I have a 5 year old lab that also has a mild case, and he has adapted quite well. With the pup, at this age, with the severity unknown, there is NO WAY I will be putting him down. He is not in constant pain or in any way miserable, and acts like a typical puppy. I am simply worried about making the condition worse. When he's chasing the lab across the house, like any large breed puppy would, he tends to slide around, and I am trying to improve his mobility and quality of life, not to end it.

bluezano

I saw these dog booties at REI and was considering getting them for my 10 month old puppy who has intervertebral disc disease (bad back) as we have concrete floors she occasionally slips on. Both of the booties have velcro straps that should make them easy to keep on. Both are also to aid with traction. Let me know how they work if you decide to give them a try. Good luck!
http://http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=5474&parent_category_rn=40003458&vcat=REI_SSHP_PICNIC_TOC

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47912398&parent_category_rn=40003458&vcat=REI_SSHP_PICNIC_TOC

Have you thought of just using that no-slip spray that you can buy at shoe repair shops to make dress shoes "non slip". I find the hard sole dog booties a bit too form fitting and restrictive. The boots that you have are nice and soft and may be able to be sprayed. The spray is non-transferrable so it wouldn't mark your floors.

PoodleMommy

Yorkie Love
I agree with Dr2little that the hard bottom shoes usually do not work well.
They are very restrictive and many dogs have a hard time walking in them at all. I am sorry I can not be of more help.

I think you are doing an amazing thing!

Good Luck to you and your pup.

Elissa

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
There is a certain style of boot with a hard soled bottom... this might help your situation a bit better. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is made by a company called NeoPaws. Here's a link:
https://www.neopaws.com/catalog/dogshoesdogbootsandlegwraps-c-39.html
I find this style stays on longer than most as well.

these are great boots for inside and out.

We have a set for Teddy. they prevent slipping on the ice in the winter and you can get indoor ones that are made for hardwood floors and other hard, slippery surfaces.

You have to make sure you learn how to put them on correctly though. Trust me they will STAY ON. If they could stay on my crazy, active boy they will stay on any dog. They are expensive but well worth it. And they don't impede Teddy's walking/running at all.

That is not necessarily true. My friend a while back got an AmBull puppy from exceptional lines to use as a working dog (for ScH). This dog had everything in her lineage that my friend wanted and she was super excited to work this dog. During puppy training (working the tug toy to build drive and make it a game) the pup wa showing a lot of promise in temperment and drive and my friend was speculating how well she would do for her lines and breeding because of all the promise she was showing. of course though nothing was for sure until she would proove herself. Much to her dismay though the pup started showing troubles with her hips. Turned out she had HD that would cripple her by the time she was 2 years old. As much as it broke her heart she had to put the puppy down because the poor thing would do nothing but suffer agonizing pain in the matter of months.

HD is not caused by a single gene but it takes specific genes that need to come together in order to produce it. Thats why it is nearly impossibly to eliminate 100%. Even the best breeders get pups with HD now and then. You dont hear about it much though because many of them will cull the pups that show severe sign of HD. They do not want to risk it being passed on somehow and they do not want to put someone through the heartache of dealing with severe HD. Thats probably why the breeder of your Newfie was going to put this puppy down.

bubbatd

I made booties for my very old Golden who had trouble getting up on slippery floors out of the material used for the feet of toddlers sleepers. Worked well !

Members online