Making a switch from kibble-diet to BARF .

simchi

Not quite a BARFer , I've just started introduce some raw chicken necks , chicken offals , and some minced beef ..I also provide her with some veggie+fruit pulp . Her current diet consists of 3/4 cup of kibbles , 150g veggie+fruit pulp , 50g minced beef , 150g RMB(mostly chicken necks , will try some knuckle bones and carcasses once she's completely on BARF) , few drops of olive oil spread over her meal , I also compliment her with some raw carrot and whole egg and yogurt during training . The reason why kibbles still part of her diet because I am afraid she might not handle it well if I switch her diet completely .

I did some research on Barf and I am still very new to this , still learning , maybe you guys can share some experience and thank you in advance .

weylyn

How big is your dog, simchi? If your girl is medium-large then I would be very wary of feeding chicken necks, and other small bits like wings. They are not the safest choice all by their lonesome. It's much easier to just take a chicken (or rabbit or etc) and hack it up into appropriate proportions and feed it that way.

Keep in mind that veggies are not a requirement in a raw fed dog's diet. If you want to add them and your dog likes them, I don't see any harm in it but they shouldn't dominate the diet in any way.

Good luck making the switch!

simchi

Hey , thanks for your reply , Weylyn .

My girl is a 10 months old Labrador ...she weighs approximately 57-59lbs . I am feeding according to 2% of her total weight . 11 ounces of RMB , 7 ounces from the mix of veggie , fruit , offal ...porprotionately . And of course , kibbles is included at this very moment .

Rabbit , kangaroo , ostrich , any kind of exotic animal will cost you an arm and a leg in the country am staying in . So my choice would be lamb , pork , beef ...and it seems like chicken is not the good alternative . In the mean time , feeding chicken necks is good because the bones are soften , and meaty . What do you recommend beside those extra-ordinary meat ? And which part of the lamb/beef/pork is good for the furkid ?

Thank you .

weylyn

Lamb, pork and beef are very good options. Personally, I like red meat making up the bulk of the diet. I try not to feed massive amounts of chicken whenever possible, although they're good whole, edible animals. They have their value in that aspect. Fish, in moderation and from appropriate sources, are another good additive to the diet.

In the mean time , feeding chicken necks is good because the bones are soften , and meaty .
The reason I mention these parts is because, when fed alone, they're the most complained about (choking/etc). They're easily gulped by a medium/large sized dog. There are a few who take the time to chew these little bits, but I prefer not to take the chance. Dogs prefer to gulp rather than chew for the most part.

What do you recommend beside those extra-ordinary meat ? And which part of the lamb/beef/pork is good for the furkid ?
Pork has many good options because the bones are pretty soft. My crew like pork shoulders the best. They're also one of the cheaper cuts in my area. I don't feed much beef because of the price. Beef necks can be a good option if you can find them not cut up to worthless hunks. It depends on the butcher. Lamb necks are also good. You can find many "recipes" on this site: http://www.rawfeddogs.net

simchi

Hey thanks again .

it sounds logical to me about the chicken neck & feet . I dont think I am going to get those thing again , maybe larger bones such as pork rib or pork neck bone ..maybe a knuckle bone once in a while . I have to admit I still have alot to learn about feeding BARF . My girl loves it alot , I mean RAW stuff .

Members online

No members online now.