The dog musing/vent thread

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Then why take a clicker class? Was it just what happened to be offered? If I intend to focus on the clicker I always advertise it as such, but I suppose not everyone does. That said, even when I offered clicker training classes, it WASN'T an hour of CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK. It was lecture --> demo -->practice and then move on to something else. And I certainly don't use the clicker for behaviors that are already pretty solid - new stuff only.
It was the only class offered. It was a basic obedience class, not a "clicker class", but they taught commands using clickers. Which was perfectly fine by me and I had no issues with it, but Abrams already knew the commands, we were just fine tuning in a class type setting. He was at the point that I wanted to do variable reinforcement (of both type, amount, and what it took for him to get it) and I was being given the stink eye for not click/treating every single time he performed a behavior on command.

Luckily the instructor didn't really seem to care much once she realized that we were past the "I'm teaching my dog this" phase and I didn't get called out as much.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
As someone who is doing a beginner obedience class and we actually know it all already, it's been really refreshing to just touch up on stuff!!!

I'm self taught at home mostly, and even though he knows how to do everything already, we are perfecting it, getting it quicker and just enjoying the class environment.

There's lots to learn even when you and your dog can already do the exercise!! Luckily our trainer sets individualised "homework" so does recognise people are at different stages, but still doesn't hurt to go back to basics now and then.

xpaeanx

As someone who is doing a beginner obedience class and we actually know it all already, it's been really refreshing to just touch up on stuff!!!

I'm self taught at home mostly, and even though he knows how to do everything already, we are perfecting it, getting it quicker and just enjoying the class environment.

There's lots to learn even when you and your dog can already do the exercise!! Luckily our trainer sets individualised "homework" so does recognise people are at different stages, but still doesn't hurt to go back to basics now and then.
I didn't take her post as we're too advanced to be here. I took it as I don't like the way this instructor teaches. I've been more advanced than a class, I've not wanted to do certain exercises.... But to pay and travel every week to an instructor you just plain don't like their teaching style? No thanks. I've got other things to do with my limited free time. If you actually say, "I don't like this, I don't know why I still go." Don't go. Frustrating yourself, and thereby your dog, to spend your free time traveling to a class you don't enjoy? I don't see it as helping.

Toller_08

So I've noticed just in the last week or two Quinn has lost a lot of pigment on her lips/corners of her mouth. Not all over, but pink patches on her usual black pigment. I'm not sure what it is exactly? She seems totally fine otherwise. She gets snow nose in the winter, but that's always been the only pigment change. No change in diet or supplements.

I'm pretty sure she's okay because she's acting totally normal...but man it's so ugly. I don't even want to take pictures LOL.
I am so glad you mentioned this. Not because I have any advice, but because recently Journey's black pigment went pink on her lips and her chin and it looked awful, plus I was worried about it. But now it's all back to black again. No idea why or what caused it though.

nikkiluvsu15

Wild At Heart
Thinking about getting Harleigh back into Agility classes.

We took them for nearly a year, but had to take a leave of absence after she injured her back. And when she was fully recovered from that my schedule just got too busy.

But I miss it so much. She does too, I think.

I emailed our former instructor asking about possibly signing up for another class. She said they might be able to fit us into a Wednesday class, but that is literally the ONLY weekday we can't go! I'm hoping we can fit into the Tuesday class.

FINGERS CROSSED!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Summer yelped while eating a piece of kibble. Checked her mouth and it looks ok. I wonder if it jammed up in her gum where she has no teeth.

do not need more sickly and injured dogs...

xpaeanx

Summer yelped while eating a piece of kibble. Checked her mouth and it looks ok. I wonder if it jammed up in her gum where she has no teeth.

do not need more sickly and injured dogs...
Muffin has done this. Nothing is wrong with his mouth though... I thinks it's kinda like when you accidentally bite your tongue or when a piece of food breaks with a sharp edge and stabs you.

crazedACD

If one dog needs 10 minutes to do an exercise and all the other dogs get it n 1 minute, I would never expect the rest of the class to just sit and wait for 9 minutes, or even practice the same thing for 9 minutes. That's boring for the people AND the dogs, and wastes so much of your time.
Yeah..I was trying to be silly and keep it light with her between reps, especially after like the third one...we would finish one and I'd run her out for a few steps and try to keep her engaged. I guess I feel like everyone else is there because they took a puppy class, and/or a basic obedience class, and this is a basic level 2 class..and they just want their dogs toned down and well behaved.. I'm over here like YAY LET'S GET CRAZY wanting my dog more in drive and engaged. :p I'm thinking about it now, I'm the only one that hasn't taken classes there previously, and the other dogs have gone for 6 or 12 weeks previously...two/three of the dogs are really withdrawn and a bit nervous in class. One dog the first week seriously injured another dog (neither are in class anymore). Another dog is super snarky and stares the other dogs down.

I worry sometimes if I'm being unfair or elitest towards instructors, which isn't really my intention but I know what I want out of a class, and out of my dog. I think I like the drop-in classes where it's sort of structured time to work with your dog (and an objective pair of eyes) versus someone else's instruction.

I didn't take her post as we're too advanced to be here. I took it as I don't like the way this instructor teaches. I've been more advanced than a class, I've not wanted to do certain exercises.... But to pay and travel every week to an instructor you just plain don't like their teaching style? No thanks. I've got other things to do with my limited free time. If you actually say, "I don't like this, I don't know why I still go." Don't go. Frustrating yourself, and thereby your dog, to spend your free time traveling to a class you don't enjoy? I don't see it as helping.
Thanks! I don't think we are 'too advanced'...I've taught Fiona things that aren't being taught in this class, and the class is teaching things that I haven't taught. I did expect the class to be geared more towards basic "obedience" commands, rather than what we have been doing (getting an automatic down on a mat? getting a sit by lifting the dog's collar?). The facility offers many competition classes, but requires basic obedience, but basic obedience isn't really basic obedience, it's 'manners'? :p I will take whatever I can get as far as working on things in a novel, distracting environment..you can't put a price on that. But I definitely don't want to be making future challenges for myself by having her in a class that teaches bad habits, or burns her out fast.

I did sort of make the decision today and scheduled myself to work on Sundays for the next few weeks. Going to see what I can do with the Monday class, I've taken this instructor's classes in the past and she is great.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Holy beans, I just realized thanks to my schedule change I can actually swing a training class with Feist. LOOK OUT WORLD :rofl1:

Saeleofu

Logan's allergy test results are in - I missed the call and they're closed now, so I'm going in tomorrow to pick up a copy of the results.

If it's mostly foods he's allergic to, I'll just modify his diet and see where it gets us. If it's other stuff and I need to do injections, I'm hoping she'l just let me order the serum and get on with it and not have to drop him off for half a day 2-3 times the first week. I know how to give allergy injections, and I know what to watch for in a reaction. I mean...that was my JOB for 7 years lol. And I just REALLY REALLY don't want to leave him there for any reason.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Logan's allergy test results are in - I missed the call and they're closed now, so I'm going in tomorrow to pick up a copy of the results.

If it's mostly foods he's allergic to, I'll just modify his diet and see where it gets us. If it's other stuff and I need to do injections, I'm hoping she'l just let me order the serum and get on with it and not have to drop him off for half a day 2-3 times the first week. I know how to give allergy injections, and I know what to watch for in a reaction. I mean...that was my JOB for 7 years lol. And I just REALLY REALLY don't want to leave him there for any reason.
I feel you on allergies. Bear has flare ups with his allergies every once and a while and has to get dex shots when they get bad.

Paviche

Duuuuude.
Researching APBT lines for a blog post and found a forum filled with what sounds like a lot of dogfighting, and not in a historical context... ugh. Not what I was looking for. :(

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Researching APBT lines for a blog post and found a forum filled with what sounds like a lot of dogfighting, and not in a historical context... ugh. Not what I was looking for. :(
Either that or they believe that only CM like dominance techniques will work in training bully breeds, or you have to be a certain personality to own them. But pit bull charisma good forum.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Summer is the bestest best dog ever. <3 I do not think there is a gooder dog in the world.
Also she is adorable and snuggley and even welcomes creepy coats-on-poles as potential friends. A truly open heart, haha

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Also she is adorable and snuggley and even welcomes creepy coats-on-poles as potential friends. A truly open heart, haha
:rofl1::rofl1::rofl1:

If it looks vaguely human, it is automatically Summer's best friend. Summer has more best friends than anyone else I know.

It is probably telling that most stores and things we go to or go into people yell "Summer! Hi Summer!'

Monday at the vet she jumped from the floor to the table (long jump for short dog!) to cram herself into the vet's arms. :eek:

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
That doesn't surprise me at all, haha. There is a LOT to be said for dogs like that, especially when she is also totally devoted to you.

Members online

No members online now.