Cop forced to shoot K9 partner after attack

Tazwell

Link

I can think of a hundred "But Why...?" questions about this situation, but I guess I'll never really understand the circumstances.

When I first read the article somewhere else, I was under the impression that they were in the office, with the vet, trying to restrain the dog or something. I guess he was only trying to get the dog out of the car.

Something tells me that the autopsy will either reveal a serious medical condition, or signs of physical abuse.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
There are so many things that could have caused this from negligent handling, crappy dog for the job, poor training, burnout, to serious medical condition. I'd like to hear what the necropsy happens to say.

Teal

...ice road...
There are so many things that could have caused this from negligent handling, crappy dog for the job, poor training, burnout, to serious medical condition. I'd like to hear what the necropsy happens to say.

This. There are sooo many possibilities... if the dog was showing aggressive tendencies, IMO he should have been muzzled. Even if they didn't predict he would turn on his handler, it's proper form to muzzle K9s at the vet anyhow and I think he should have been muzzled beforehand.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*

This. There are sooo many possibilities... if the dog was showing aggressive tendencies, IMO he should have been muzzled. Even if they didn't predict he would turn on his handler, it's proper form to muzzle K9s at the vet anyhow and I think he should have been muzzled beforehand.
As I understood the story he was unloading him out of the car to go into the vet. The dog didn't want to unload so the handler tried to bait him out with a tug or bite pillow and the dog went for a dirty bite on the handler. It's really hard to say without knowing the history of what exactly was going on or how unpredictable that behavior was or how fast it manifested. It's also really hard to say how skilled the handler was.

If one of my dogs went for me after 5 years of everyday ownership I know it would certainly catch me off guard.

Tazwell

Just wanted to add, that Gunner was his first k9. So the handler had 4-5 years experience.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Just wanted to add, that Gunner was his first k9. So the handler had 4-5 years experience.
Article says:
The 23-year veteran K9 handler was attacked by the dog,
I took that to mean he had 23 years of experience. Or does that mean he is only 23 years old?

Either way, sorry situation all around. I'm always saddened, though, that a dog that is clearly unstable (from whatever cause, be it the dogs fault or not) is allowed to continue to be part of a K9 unit. But then again, I also know nothing about police dogs, so that's coming from the mouth of an ignorant public person. LOL

Tazwell

*blackrose, the other article that I read (I'll pull it up if I can, I'm on my phone) stated that he is a 23 year veteran of the department, but only 5 years as a k9 handler. I don't know if they got that wrong, but that's what it said.

Wait, here's what I want to know, he was taking the dog to the vet for "aggression issues", so why wasn't the dog put in a muzzle, for safety, before they even left to go to the vets? Seems like the logical thing to do, or am I over thinking things? It most certainly would have prevented the injuries to the handler at least.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Wow... I'm sure this must be a medical issue. For a dog to just turn on his handler like that, and with a history of warning signs. If he doesn't have a medical problem, I just can't imagine the he wasn't abused. I would suspect a brain tumor or severe thyroid issue, if not something that was causing him serious pain.

Poor pup. :( It makes me sad either way for him. Who knows what kind of crazy people he's dealt with working in Oakland.

Members online

No members online now.