Never owned a small breed before-need info

Adrienne

So it will still be about two weeks before our new pup moves in and I want to get it right when she does! I visit her a few times every day and I gave her the first dhpp shot and dewormer today! What is different besides the obvious things between owning my big dogs and now adding a little one to the mix?

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Learn the "small breed pup shuffle" lol for when your walking around the house with shoes on.. stepping on the lil pup could cause some damage

I would buy a collar with a bell..makes them easier to find/hear coming lol cat collars work great

Nutrical is great if pup needs an extra calorie boost, small breed pups sometimes have issues with hypoglycemia

little pup= tiny bladder. its also easier to miss accidents because they pee/poop tiny.. BE CAREFUL because its really easy to let potty training slip and end up relying on puppy pads.
Lots and lots of potty breaks

Some people use collars with their little ones.. but personally, I prefer harnesses. its all about what make you and your pups comfortable, I prefer a harness

its VERY Important to teach children to play nicely. A dropped large breed pup isnt that big of a deal but littles ones are more fragile when they are little.. a drop could mean something broken. not to mention a really scared pup

SOCIALIZE SOCIALIZE SOCIALIZE lol but you know that

Adrienne

Thanks for the reply Fran! Hopefully having experience doing the 'cat and bunny' shuffle I will be on task for this one! Thanks for the advice about the cat collar w/ bell, that's a great idea.

Chloe is obviously very young still and is not always as gentle as she should be with the rabbit/cats. I will be super vigilant about watching their interactions and not allowing Chloe to pick her up. The boys are good so they shouldn't be an issue.

Right now I did bring a collar over so she is 'marked' but I will purchase a harness before I bring her home. I agree that a harness is probably a better idea.

When they are still itty bitty is a potty break every hour ok or should we be going for every half hour? Also, how many times a day do they need to eat when they are little? With my big dogs and fosters we usually do two times a day unless they are under 12 wks and then I feed three times a day. Should I go four with this wee one?

Thanks again!

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
I would do 3 meals a day, or freefeed her until she's a little older/bigger. Like Fran said you need to watch for hyperglycemia.

Other than that I can't think of anything different you'd do, compared to a big dog. I've always used collars on my guys, but *some* dogs need a harness due to collapsing tracheas.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
given the mix of your puppy i would go with a harness as both breeds are prone to trechea problems.

frequent feedings the first 6 months and have nutrical in your puppy pack as a just in case. she doesnt look SUPER tiny from the pictures so im not sure itll be too much of a concern but best to be safe than sorry.

like fran, my little ones all have bells on thier collars, not only for location purposes but also ebcause i know if i cant see or hear them there up to no good (or sleeping in the laundry basket again lol)

as she gets older watch the teeth, smalle breeds tend ot have more dental issues including retaind baby teeth.

hourly SHOULD be ok but watch her, youll learn her signals real quick if you watch her close enough

hmm carefull with the kinder, little dogs can be killed from an accidental drop. when mine are around children they have to sit on the floor and if all is going well and dog is happy to i thern let the dog onto the childs lap...your little ones are used to a buny though so i doubt youll have too may issues there :)

BIRDS OF PREY and predators
this is something alot of people new to small breeds dont realize...and while your girl may end up being too big as an adult to carry off by a bird, theres LOTS of incidents of coyotes also taking smaller dogs. ive also found larger toy breeds severly get hurt when a large bird of prey tries and then last minute decides its too big! supervise when outside.

try not to carry her everywhere, lol, they do get used to it and sometimes even demand it.

youll have a blast with a little one :)

Maura

Toy breeds learn to housebreak sooner than large breeds. There can be no room for an accident. Some toys are housebroken at 12 weeks, so you can see the small window of opportunity. Instead of running in and out trying to get your timing right, give her a large outside for potty time. When you bring her outside, always have her sit at the door, out of the way of the swing. This teaches her where to go when it's time to go outside. If you won't be able to see her, I'd add a bell to the doorknob.

Just remember, she is much older than she looks and her stages of development will come more quickly than with a large dog.

mi_bella

Be careful with it jumping from high places, it's hard on their joints and they could really hurt themselves if they fall. And expose them to different things and people so that it doesn't grow up afraid.

Paige

Let it be
I didn't find having a toy dog any different other than what has been said here. She was treated like a big dog right off the go and didnt have the little dog 'tude lots of them get. Just be aware of the risks involved in small breeds.

Members online

No members online now.