Pee problem

Raika's Mom

Iggy and Kitty Mom
I feel like I'm always posting problems on here, but I just really don't know much about dogs, so bear with me!!
Raika is STILL not potty trained at 4 months. I take her out and walk around with her and she'll roll around, eat rocks, stomp on my flowers, and do just about everything but pee or poop. Then she'll come in and pee. I'm just so frustrated. What's the average age for a pup to be fully potty trained? Is Raika potty-challenged? I can tell she is slowly getting better, but she still bolts upstairs to pee or poop if I don't keep a close eye on her.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I'm still the same way as you, always posting problems. It seems like whenever we get a handle on things we always get another dog thrown in. Puppies won't learn to hold their bladder until in between 3-6 months so it just might take your Raika longer to learn. When do you take her out? Make sure to take her out like 10 minutes after eating, right after playing and about 10 minutes after drinking water. I take my pups out usually about every hour (every fifteen minutes for my new 9 week old pup). Have you tried keeping your puppy with you at all times to figure out her potty signals? If you watch her and figure out her signals it will be easier to get her outside in time. If I can't keep an eye on my dogs they are in the kitchen or in their crates. Do you crate Raika ever?

Saje

Island dweller
My tip for you would be to keep her on a leash and tie it around your waist while you are inside. that way you can look for her signs that she needs to go and take her immediately outside. If you catch her in the act throw down some keys or clap your hands to distract her and then take her immediately outside. When she goes give her lots and lots of praise. And start to teach her a command like 'go potty' if you haven't already.

Raika's Mom

Iggy and Kitty Mom
She is being crate trained. She's in it during the day while we're at work, then at night. She never pees or poops in her crate so we have that going for us. As of today I'm blocking off the upstairs because she has a tendency to bolt up there to pee. (I think because it smells like the catbox to her). In the morning we have a routine of going out to pee, eating in the kennel with the door closed, then going out to poop. We've got that down, but it just seems like she doesn't have a schedule at all. I will try that leash thing and hopefully that will help.
Ugh!!! She's such a handful! This morning I tried putting bitter apple on my arms and hands to see if that curbed biting at all and she just came up and licked my arm...she does seem to be biting less though, so maybe it's working. She also had her bed confiscated because she has decided to rip it apart all of the sudden. (I made it so it's not quite as sturdy as store-bought beds). And at the moment, she's barking at the piece of plywood I used to block off the upstairs...aaah puppies...

Fran27

The reason she's not potty trained yet is probably because nobody is at home with her during the day. The more you are with them, the more opportunities you have of showing her the right thing to do.

It's ok though, it might just take another month or two but she will get it. Just make sure that when she goes outside to pee in the morning, you praise her like crazy. And when you see her pee upstairs, show her you're really not happy...

What I did with Boris was put him in the crate for 15 minutes if he didn't pee, then take him out again. Once he did, he was free in the house until the next pee break.

We currently have a new 3 month old puppy who is learning housebreaking. We have him on a pretty good schedule and I have definitely figured out his signals.. If we all keep an eye on him we have no accidents in the house on my carpet. I do have a few potty pads down and 99.9% of the time if he isn't going outside potty he is running to a pad (thanks to no one watching him)...LOL As far as the puppy behavior, mind loves to run upstairs with the other 3 and us and then can't get back down them. He stands at the top of the steps and barks for one of us, when we come up he gets yippy, goes down on his front 2 paws and bounces back and forth. He cracks me up. Oh, and the bitter apple, I didn't buy that for this one (it didn't even phase Cocoa).. there is a new product out by Petastic called "no chew" or something like that and it is sooo much nastier then the bitter apple. Try that or tobasco sauce...

Raika's Mom

Iggy and Kitty Mom
Yeah, Raika shredded the puppy pads, so that didn't work. I'm home for the rest of this week on vacation, so maybe if I work really hard with her she'll start to get it.

I'll look for the no chew stuff. My arms can't take much more. I look like I've been crawling through thorns using my forearms.

The other thing we did with the chewing on us (with both Cocoa and now the new one).. We would tell them "NO BITE" and give them a toy to play with and tell them "GOOD BITE".... If they continued to bite I would tell them "NO BITE"and leave the room for a few minutes. I would continue this until they figured out that biting me got them no attention from me.

Part of the problem may be timing. After you feed her, get her to nap for 10 or 15 minutes, then take her outside and play with her. That should get her stimulated to the point that she has to go. THEN you can make a big fuss over how smart she is to do it outside. Be sure to play with her a bit outside after she's gone so she doesn't get the idea that as soon as she goes the fun is over! They figure that out much more quickly than you'd ever believe.

When you take her outside put her on a leash and when she goes potty praise her! and also watch her inside the house if she sniffing, circling and squatting or you see almost going potty say something or drop something loud it should scare her then take her back outside intill she does go potty and praise by saying "Good Potty"

Raika's Mom

Iggy and Kitty Mom
I appreciate all the advice! I feel like I've tried everything suggested, I just need to be more diligent. My boyfriend claims that it's mean that I crate her when I can't watch her, but that's what the vet said to do. I just have to get him on the same page with me. (Most the time when we're home she's not crated--just when I have to do something and can't keep an eye on her). I can tell she's getting better slowly, but it's taking time and patience.

filarotten

Fila the love
As for potty training, my fila has done great, few accidents but learned to bark early(everytime he barked I put him out and said go potty)but you have to get him out quickly still his bladder does not give me a lot of warning. The poopy was mastered first, then the bladder. The best thing for brutus as far as biting on the arms and the pant legs was to grab him by the nap of the neck and shake it(not hard) and say no. He would immediately quit. It worked great with him maybe it will work with yours also. I also did a rather loud ouch, Kind of high pitch. He would set back and look at me as if to say omg did i hurt you? I am so sorry. He was broke of the habit in two days. Hope this helps. Mine is now 12 weeks old but I am home all day so this may make a difference.

Purr

~3 Mutts~
My two male pups finally got the hang of house training when they were five months old. Some pups learn quick, some not so quick. Some dogs can take nine months to house train, some learn in two weeks. It depends on the pup.

I would really like to advise against using tobasco sauce to curb biting. That stuff is HOT! It burns my own mouth horribly, so I can't imagine letting a pup lick it.

Good luck with Raika!!

Raika's Mom

Iggy and Kitty Mom
Don't worry, I would never do the tobasco sauce...if it's too hot for me, it's way too hot for her in my opinion. I haven't been on here in a while, but the peeing and pooing is slowly getting better. I just take her out all the time and when she doesn't go, I am now putting her in the crate for 10 or 15 minutes, then trying again. We have only had 2 accidents this weekend, so I think that's pretty good. I tried attaching her leash to my belt loops and she saw the cat, took off and ripped my belt loop right off, not to mention pulling me halfway across the room!! :rolleyes: I couldn't help but laugh at her for that one.
We went to the dog park again yesterday and she played with 2 puppies about her age....one was a golden and the other looked like a GSD mix of some sort. It was the CUTEST thing to see the three of them running around together! I was wishing I had brought my camera. We spent about an hour and a half there, and came home satisfyingly muddy and smelly. I wish I could take her every night, but I'd have to make it to the parks office by 5 to get a pass and I'm always late leaving work.
The biting is MUCH better...it's like she just grew out of it all the sudden!! She nips occasionally, and we correct her, but in general, it's much better.

Doberluv

I feel like I'm always posting problems on here, but I just really don't know much about dogs, so bear with me!!
Silly goose! That's what this forum is for! :)

They all vary. Some of my dogs have gotten the hang of it very quickly, within a matter of weeks or a month and Lyric, my Dobe, my most recent pup wasn't trustworthy until he was about 10 or 11 months! :eek:

Just keep at it. Watch for signs, sniffing around furniture, circling, restlessness. Take puppy out after eating, playing, drinking, napping...every 30-45 miinutes for a while. Watch like a hawk or crate when you can't. Try your best to avoid accidents. (duh...like you want accidents) :rolleyes: And be patient. Praise like crazy when pup goes outside and give a command for pee. (just like everyone already said. I'm tired....need a nap) :eek:

Members online

No members online now.