Goldendoodle questions

yentna

I'm a new member (obviously), trying to figure out where best to get a golden doodle. Our only contact number for a Utah breeder is out of service and we've had no luck finding her other ways. My BF is allergic, so we need a dog that doesn't shed, but also can handle backcountry skiing with us, so we've chosen the goldendoodle. However, it's difficult to find a breeder here! (Utah) Anyway, I'm happy to have found this forum since we'll be needing information and support for raising our puppy, but for now..........

Does anyone know of a breeder in the Utah area? We are in Park City. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You should look at a Standard Poodle or Portugese Water Dog Than.Golden doodles are just a over rated mutt.They are not always hypoallergetic.So for someone with allergies a purebred is best.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
there are places like puppyfind.com that advertise breeders. Most people here are very leary of finding breeders online. Maybe trying looking in dog magazines to see if any breeders are advertised. Some golden doodles do shed though so be very careful when selecting your pup. Have you considered getting just a regular poodle? They most likely would go for the same price and the can handle the backpacking and swimming and hiking. Me and my husband are getting a standard poodle at the end of this month.

Fran27

I would rethink it... Some goldendoodles shed, some don't (same as labradoodles), so you are not guaranteed to have a non shedding dog at all. I would look at poodles instead if you really want a dog that doesn't shed.

The other problem is that most goldendoodles breeders are not serious, and just breed them for money without making sure that the parents are actually healthy, and they ask way too much for what is, really, mutts.

If you want a poodle/golden mix... you can find lots at your shelters, and it won't cost you $1000 like most of those breeders charge.

But anyway, if you want to see what people here think of those 'designer breeds', you may want to look at this post below :

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8146

nedim

I could go on forever advising you against buying an intentionally bred mixed puppy. No responsible breeder would ever mix two dogs together to make a new breed, its just plain irresponsible. A good breeder will only breed purebreds together to improve the breed of dog. I will however suggest a visit to your local humane society, or shelter. More than likely, a dog that is perfect for you is waiting to be adopted. Dont take this as an insult, because thats not what I'm trying to do. I'm just trying to inform you, is all. Please keep us updated. Maybe post a list of characteristics you are looking for in a dog and we can be able to help you.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Goldendoodles, temperamentwise, are lovely dogs. But, like everyone else said, their hypo-allergenic qualities are NOT guaranteed. They are just as likely to be like heavy-shedding golden retrievers as they are non-shedding poodles. It's just like with humans: just because your dad has brown hair doesn't mean that you will too.

Go with a purebred standard poodle. Poodles were originally bred as hunting retrievers, so despite their pampered appearance, they are actually great at outdoor activities. And that way, the non-shedding trait will be guaranteed.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Well let me defend this person a little bit. When I first mentioned getting a standard poodle to my husband he just rolled his eyes at me like I was insane. Most people don't realize that poodles are not wussy dogs that need to stay inside by the fireplace 24/7. Standard poodles are quite energetic and can do the backpacking and swimming and hunting thing same as a golden or a lab. Most people just don't realize what kind of a dog poodles are. They were bred to retrieve game from the water and they love swimming. They are very active and intelligent dogs. If your boyfriend is a little unsure of how he would look walking a poodle let him do research and he will see that they are not the wussy dogs that people make them out to be.

yentna

Thanks Julie! And thanks for the comments everyone, don't worry I'm thick skinned and not offended (as if you'd worry, heh). Anyway, my BF isn't really interested in a poodle, though I'm very aware of how surprisingly tough and fun they can be. A family acquaintance in Alaska used to mush a team of poodles in the Iditarod until he got banned (appropriately I think, the dogs hair would freeze to the snow and pull out when on overnight trips). But, they were tough and interesting and smart and curious and fun, so I wouldn't mind a poodle. He's pretty open minded about them, but seems set on the doodle.
And he wants a bigger dog, isn't the portugese water dog pretty small?

qualities we're looking for:

smart
friendly
hypoallergenic
outdoorsy - can take him/her backcountry skiing and camping and biking

Last edited:

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Has your boyfriend tried allergy shots? Depending on the person, they can work miracles. One of my coworkers is allergic to cats and dogs, but since she started taking allergy shots, she's been able to have both dogs and cats without any problems. That could open up a bunch of opportunities for you.

yentna

I'm assuming he doesn't want to be tied to allergy shots since he talks negatively about them, but if he must, he must I guess.

How does one tell if a doodle puppy will shed? (I have no clue, obviously.) I've always had shedding dogs - huskies, shepherds, mutts, labs, etc.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
yentna said:
He doesn't want to be tied to allergy shots, but if he must, he must.

How does one tell if a doodle puppy will shed? (I have no clue, obviously.) I've always had shedding dogs - huskies, shepherds, mutts, labs, etc.
I'm guessing what their coats look like as pups (I'm not too sure either). Probably the pups that have more of the curly poodle coat with be the ones that don't shed or shed little. While the pups with the longer retriever coats will be the ones that shed. That's a good question though.

Y

yuckaduck

juliefurry said:
I'm guessing what their coats look like as pups (I'm not too sure either). Probably the pups that have more of the curly poodle coat with be the ones that don't shed or shed little. While the pups with the longer retriever coats will be the ones that shed. That's a good question though.

Poodles do shed, just not as much and their hair more wool like therefore less allergic.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
they do shed but the fur is caught in their coats, which with daily brushing removes the fur that is trapped. They do shed a little but not enough to kill a person with allergies.

yentna

His allergies aren't that bad, it's more a problem with being miserable than with fear of death. ;)

bubbatd

You've gotten some good advice here....remember, this mix isn't a recognized breed and like all breeds, nothing is guaranteed .... it's a BYB's dream to make money. If you do find a litter, make sure you pay mutt prices. Good luck !! Read up and buy a good puppy book ! Or, better yet, go to a shelter and see which one your BF's allegries don't re-act to !!

RD

Are you dead yet?
Gempress said:
Goldendoodles, temperamentwise, are lovely dogs. But, like everyone else said, their hypo-allergenic qualities are NOT guaranteed. They are just as likely to be like heavy-shedding golden retrievers as they are non-shedding poodles. It's just like with humans: just because your dad has brown hair doesn't mean that you will too.

Go with a purebred standard poodle. Poodles were originally bred as hunting retrievers, so despite their pampered appearance, they are actually great at outdoor activities. And that way, the non-shedding trait will be guaranteed.
Very well put. :) I agree completely.

And Yuckaduck, poodles shed within their coat. Hair doesn't fall off of them, it has to be brushed out.

yentna

bubbatd said:
You've gotten some good advice here....remember, this mix isn't a recognized breed and like all breeds, nothing is guaranteed .... it's a BYB's dream to make money. If you do find a litter, make sure you pay mutt prices. Good luck !! Read up and buy a good puppy book ! Or, better yet, go to a shelter and see which one your BF's allegries don't re-act to !!
It's true that nothing is guaranteed, just trying to play the odds. Looking at the $400 - $500 range if we can find a reputable dealer, about the same as a decent retriever or shepherd, anything more is a rip off. Also depending on what type of dog we get.

And yes, gotten lots of advice, thanks heaps, I think we'll have to frequent this board more often!

Members online

No members online now.