arts unleashed

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
emma i think you will approve of this one..each year i donate a gift certificate to arts unleashed...i have given two to Connie Guthry so she can raffle them off to raise money for her rescue cause...it is my way of giving back..so the first one is a partial scan of the purchaser of 2005. She had a Great Pyr..i don't remember how to spell it, the big white dog..anyway the auction raises quite a bit of money for the humane society. I saw a painting or two go for over a thousand. There were some big names present. I could do just a painting of my choice, but i think it better to give a gift certificate. This woman brought over her dog, i photographed it, then did two roughs for her to choose from, then i did something completely different because i had a better idea, and she was very happy with the final piece. I put all the photographs, roughs and partial scan on a disc and gave her that along with the negatives. She was a good woman that does a lot for the animal world.
the second one was hard to finish..i had to duck the tears a few times because i was only half done when Bronki got cancer and i had to have him put down..i made myself finish it. I wish i could have scanned the whole thing. That cat sat out there all afternoon and wasn't about to budge..Bronki and Mary would not have harmed it..they were both on point and when the cat didn't run they gave up and came in. I looked out a few hours later and that cat was sunning himself in the same spot.

Attachments

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I wish i had the whole dog for you to see, becuase it looks so much better..i kept the background soft with snow just starting to stick..i wanted a moonlight effect to bring out the white..and hoped somewhere in the world the moon does shine while little flakes fall...at least in my art world it did for this one painting can that work? I try to be "correct" but moonlight alone wasn't enough..the dog's name was Snowdog so little flakes had meaning too.

in drawing the hissing cat i learned something..i always thought they humped up their back when they were mad, but in the photograph that i took (i had to study it with a magnifying glass) i saw that oh my, my dear dogs were in peril!! That cat would have smacked them hard if they had moved up an inch..he was prepared..that hump is really the shoulder raised and ready to strike, the back haunches are lowered andready to spring..i learned a lot about cats drawing that one. When i did the halloween card later i drew the cats "correctly".

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.