The Venting Thread

CaliTerp07

And this is one of the reasons I am planning to teach high school+. I hate having to deal with 'perfect children' parents. Even in high school it happens but its a bit easier to avoid there. Hope your ankle gets better soon.
It still runs rampant in my 8th grade classes, and from my high school teacher friends it's an epidemic there too. It just manifests itself a little differently :(

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Started my morning with a message from a guy who seemed genuinely like a match.
Until it rapidly became apparent our definitions of things were quite radically different.
Also disturbing that our very first conversation EVER was on that subject. You have bizarre pick-up lines my friend.

I wished him a lovely weekend, blocked him, and now I'm depressed.

Also it's not warming up like I thought it would so I think I'm moving my final long run to tomorrow. Except the wind tomorrow will be double what it is today, and I'm so tired of running in the wind... but it's probably going to be windy on marathon day too, so does it really matter?

Meh. Meh meh meh meh.

Brattina88

And this is one of the reasons I am planning to teach high school+. I hate having to deal with 'perfect children' parents. Even in high school it happens but its a bit easier to avoid there. Hope your ankle gets better soon.
Thank you :) it'll be fine, just some R&R and I'll be okay.

Ugh I know exactly what you mean. We are pretty lucky with our current preschool group that the parents are pretty hood with knowing kids are kids and they will misbehave and need to be disciplined from time to time but I jave definitely seen a lot of what you describe with parents having "perfect child syndrome".

It was kind of funn at one of our homeschool co ops I taight the pre K/K phys ed class. One little boy was quite difficult, didn't listen, had no self control, etc and I would regularly have to make him sit out for a few moments until he could follow directions. Well, I got a random email from his mom and she started off with "he told me that he sometimes doesn't listen and you have been giving him time outs" and I thought oh boy... Here it comes but then she went on and was like " THANK YOU, i know he can be difficult to handle at times and you discipline him whenever you feel necessary. Every little bit helps so keep doing what you are doig". LOL I was flabbergasted. I was really expecting the opposite reaction
Oh man I could really use a pick up like that lately! It's a rough time of year right now with assessments and conferences and everything paperwork-wise that parents don't realize we have to do, and unfortunately I am getting it from all angles... staff, admin, parents, children so its like sandpaper against the skin all day long :(

It's been a rough year with IEPs, psychologists and psychiatrists coming out and working with different children. I have 7 out of 16 getting some kind of intervention in different ways, 2 that should be but the parents are uncooperative. 1 of them just started going to an intensive special needs preschool class across town with a ration of 1 adult to 2 special needs students... After I've struggled and cried and fought for this child (and 15 other children of course) for two months before they could get her in
For anyone wondering, daycare/school for dogs is...exactly the same. LOL. Bad owners who puppy can't do any wrong, great owners who just want you to communicate with them, etc.

But you can't put kids in crates. :D
:rofl1: I wasn't going to say it because it sounds bad coming from me, but that is SO true! Have you ever watched mall play areas? Just like a dog park....seriously :p LOL

There are so many similarities between dogs and kids. Did you know they make "diaper bags" that come in the SAME type of dispenser as doggie poop bags?? I almost died laughing in the middle of Target when I saw them.
So true. So do I talk to my dogs like their kids or do I talk to my kids like they're dogs?? :popcorn: food for thought LOL

It still runs rampant in my 8th grade classes, and from my high school teacher friends it's an epidemic there too. It just manifests itself a little differently :(
:( so true, and in MY opinion, I think it gets harder/worse. More manipulative when they're older. I have a friend who is a middle school teacher who has literally been set up by one of her students. It's awful, and heart breaking, you wouldn't believe how disheartening the whole situation is. And the parent pretty much has the principal hog-tied. She may be "forced" into taking a leave of absence at least until the end of the year.
Meanwhile, were supposed to teach and meet all these standards
...And this is why its such a high burn out job ;)

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I don't want to move in with you because I'm not ready. I shouldn't need to keep saying it again and again and again.

You want me to move in because you feel vulnerable when you couldn't get in contact with me and thought I was hurt. Not because you feel like you are ready for that commitment.

this is so dumb.

and my friends are all like "well don't you love him? why wouldn't you want to move in with him?"
Of course I love him but I'm not ready!

gah!

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
& we wonder why our country is I the trouble it is ... I look at the generations behind me & I think "oh **** ... THEY are the 'future'?" We live int he world of "give every kid a trophy whether they win or not" & all that ... Kids never learn how to LOSE, they never learn the consequence of a bad decision.

Sometimes I think being raised enlightened on how the "real" world works stopped with my generation.

OwnedByBCs

Will Creep For Sheep
Fiona is ovulating today, and Pirate is trying very hard to mount her, but Fiona has decided she wants none of it. He won't do anything if we hold her, and she will snark at him if he tries to mount her otherwise. So, if nothing happens this weekend we have to go in for an AI. FML.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Matt likes to complain about how awful teenagers (mostly emos) are and how crappy their music is. I usually answer with "GET OFFA MY LAWN YOU KIDS!" It doesn't stop him but it amuses me.
Back in my day!! GET OFF MY LAWN!!! LOL I yell it at my younger cousins all the time.

I don't think its that this generation got it 'right', there was a lot teachers and parents did WRONG and a lot of it is changing for the better.

yea, I agree participation trophys are a bit silly, but I think instilling confidence, positive learning techniques and reinforcement is important and I love that parents are getting more in on that.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Basically, there are pros and cons to EACH generation. I honestly dont see a difference between kids when I grew up or kids now on a base level at all.
except for the fact that we are now older, we have more experience and have matured so it's easier to look at them and say "ick."
just like how when we were 13 our parents looked at us and said "ick." sometimes LOL

Technology is different, language is different, social norms, trends..
but at their root kids these days are just that...growing kids. trying to figure things out IMO

It's hard to not look at some facebook posts and go :rolleyes: but honestly, if I had social media at 12-13, my posts would've probably been just as awful lol only difference is that my silly hormonal kid gripes weren't documented.

That is devastating. I wonder if there is more going on behind the scenes.
Sometimes there absolutely is, and sometimes if you can suss it out there's a solution possible even if the pet doesn't stay in that home. But some people won't open up. Sometimes it's just a matter of differing values, though. "This cat/dog is too hard, time for a new model." Sometimes the owner genuinely cares but doesn't have the emotional or financial reserves, or time, to deal with it. I'm taking care of a cat in my home right now that was signed over to our clinic and has fatty liver basically because her owners work schedules radically changed and no one noticed she was hunger striking, then didn't have time to take care of her. It happens.

I guess that turned into sort of a vent, lol.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Henry just ripped a fart that made my eyes water.
:rofl1::rofl1::rofl1:

As for the "kids these days" thing.

I think most kids these days are a lot like we were when we were that age... what I think HAS changed is parenting and discipline. When I was a kid I didn't know anyone who got in trouble at school and their parents would come flying in yelling at the teacher because their kid screwed up. No, they would discipline the kid for getting in trouble. Now if a kid gets in trouble there are A LOT of parents who fly off the handle on the teachers. Like how DARE they accuse little Jimmy of being less than perfect. if he screwed up it must be the teachers fault. That is the big difference I notice.

Brattina88

:rofl1::rofl1::rofl1:

As for the "kids these days" thing.

I think most kids these days are a lot like we were when we were that age... what I think HAS changed is parenting and discipline. When I was a kid I didn't know anyone who got in trouble at school and their parents would come flying in yelling at the teacher because their kid screwed up. No, they would discipline the kid for getting in trouble. Now if a kid gets in trouble there are A LOT of parents who fly off the handle on the teachers. Like how DARE they accuse little Jimmy of being less than perfect. if he screwed up it must be the teachers fault. That is the big difference I notice.
agreed!
I have noticed a big difference even in the past 5 years

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Ahhh, but schools have greatly changed too and are seriously failing many students.
well I can definitely agree on that as well. One of the big reasons we choose to homeschool.

Schools are not what they were. It's not about education so much as funding it seems. I know that's a broad sweeping statement and not all schools operate this way.

But also teachers don't have much authority anymore. if they have a troublesome student there isn't much they can do about it anymore and if they DO do something about it the blame is on the teacher instead of on the student.

but it's not just public schools. I work in a preschool and while most of our parents this year are pretty good we have definitely had our share of "perfect child syndrome" situations.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
I can't understand people that come in bawling about "needing" to euthanize their pet, but they don't want to try anything to fix the problem...

This guy had an appointment today to euthanize his 6 year old cat. He was not a client, his first time coming to us. We require an exam before euthanizing a pet we've never seen (unless it's an obvious decision, like a 15 year old lab that can't walk or something). We do NOT perform "convenience" euthanasias, ie, if your pet is not sick, we're not killing it. Apparently he was BAWLING when he was brought in the exam room, like totally seemed really upset about his cat. But the reason he wanted to euthanize his cat... is because he was pooping outside the litter box...

Sooo vet does an exam. Medically there is nothing wrong, this just appears to be a behavior problem. Vet asks owner if he's done options X, Y, or Z. Owner says no I don't want to do that. Vet tells him okaayyy.. well we're not euthanizing him... Owner comes back with "well I'm not taking him home."

So the cat was turned over to the clinic and now lives with us in the meantime.

My mind really just can't even comprehend why you jump to killing your pet instead of trying SOMETHING. grumble.
We had a dog turned in with a similar story. Owner was moving, thought it was cruel to surrender his 12 year old dog and wanted our shelter managers opinion. XD Seriously... the dog is fine other than being 12!!!

Members online

No members online now.