Is raw for real?

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I don't see anybody harping on raw diets. I also don't see anybody going "But I don't WANNA." I see a lot of people trying to figure it out, and being very confused and conflicted.

Isn't it good that people are conflicted? Isn't it good that we want to make sure we're doing what is right for our dogs? Isn't it good that we want to know as much as possible before making a decision?

J's crew

I don't see anybody harping on raw diets. I also don't see anybody going "But I don't WANNA." I see a lot of people trying to figure it out, and being very confused and conflicted.

Isn't it good that people are conflicted? Isn't it good that we want to make sure we're doing what is right for our dogs? Isn't it good that we want to know as much as possible before making a decision?

I agree. IMO discussion leads to education. ;)

sam

YUP

That's why I replied. I don't usually look at the raw debate threads anymore. It's a bit nerve wracking at first. It's nice to know what other people's experiences have been and what resources they fouund helpful.
Given all the recalls It's not surprising that people are looking in to it.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I didn't post this thread to bash raw. It's something I'm seriously considering trying, and I wanted to get viewpoints and information from the people who use it.

I just spoke to a coworker who used to be very involved in dogs (he showed newfies and his wife showed American cockers), and asked his opinion. He very adamately oppossed raw. He said that the modern food supply just has too many parasites and bacteria in it.

For example, he mentioned some friends of his who rehabilitated eagles. They usually fed their birds from strips of wild-killed venison. But when they ran out of venison one day, they used some raw beef from the grocery store. He said that within 48 hours, three birds had died.

I don't know if that's at all similar to the way things work with dogs, especially since so many of you have positive experiences with it. But it did give me something to think about.

Which brings me to another question. What kind of raw meat do you feed? Does it need to be frozen for a certain period of time to kill bacteria?

DanL

Gem, search around some of the threads from the last few days. I know I've posted what I feed as have others.

The only thing I freeze is wild stuff like deer, rabbit, or game birds. Regardless, most of the time what my guys get has been frozen because I get bulk quantities, so anything but a couple days worth is in the freezer till needed. It's not because I think it needs to be frozen, but it has to be to store it.

I don't really think we have any kind of debate going on here. Gem asked a question of the raw feeders, and many of us replied. A couple people chimed in with their opinions against raw but that is completely acceptable. My opinion is feed whatever you want, it's your dog and your choice and I don't think any less of anyone for their food choice. We all know that some low end kibbles aren't that great, but for some people it's all they can afford. Heck, Midnite lived on Pedigree for years, because we hadn't educated ourselves on alternate foods like raw, homecooked, or premium kibbles. Raw isn't for everyone, it's definitely a lifestyle change for you and your dogs. You can't forget to take food out for the dogs, where if you do for yourself, you can order a pizza. You have to think ahead and take inventory of what you have and plan what you need. It's not hard, just more involved than scooping some kibble out of the container.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Thanks Dan! Basically, I was just wondering if feeding my boys the cheap bulk frozen meat would kill them. :rolleyes:

DanL

I'd say No! Thats what we feed. And any of the "buy it today or we throw it away" stuff, on clearance. I've even bought that stuff and left it in the fridge for a few more days and fed it with no problems. I wouldn't eat it myself though!

R

RedyreRottweilers

The only real caution I would offer is do be careful with ground meats. Ground meats if not properly handled CAN have too high of a bacteria load even for a dog.

Not often, generally not if it's fresh and properly handled, but that is one caution to be aware of.

The other main one is to balance meat that is fed without bone. The bone is VERY important, if it not fed along with the meat, it needs to be balanced.

Some people use ground egg shell (1/3 tsp per cup of raw boneless meat).

I use a supplement I get from Nature's Farmacy called KA Calcium on my dogs.

Here is an extensive very good FAQ about raw diets.

W

whatszmatter

yes there has to be a balance between meat and bone. Variety is awsome, and with Raw there is plenty of that.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
All righty, I'm convinced. I'm gonna take the plunge into raw! I think I'll start with raw chicken quarters once my homemade food runs out. I'm still nervious. My boys are pretty good-sized and love to chew, so I think they'll be all right.

Here's hoping all goes well!

I am so glad we do raw. Right now when so may folks are worried, we have no worries.
It is less expensive than prepared foods, and our gal is so healthy it is ridiculous!!
Having vet support is paramount though. It is for real because it is real food, not prepackaged, over processed, oft contaminated, junk food.
Just my not so humble well researched opinion.

MBG

fillyone

But please, call me Barb
Gempress,
Though I feed a 1/2 - 1/2 raw right now I also replace some meals with a raw turkey neck.
Just wanted to warn you that sometimes, like with Dante tonight, some of it gets swallowed in pieces that are just too big.
It's a bit gross but back it comes and gets chewed better the second time around.

From time to time I'll also find small vertabrae in Dante's poop that for whatever reason didn't get digested.

As far as what you buy, I feed prepared but if I was going to do my own I wouldn't buy anything I would hesitate to put on my own table...meaning farms that I trust.

Members online