Rude question to ask a breeder?

Locke

I started communication with a breeder recently, but unfortunately, it sounds as though her next litter will be too early for me. This breeder has dogs from lines of another breeder I really like. Would you ever ask a breeder if they could recommend someone else that might have a litter closer to when you're looking??

milos_mommy

First I would ask if they're planning any litters for after the next litter, and if they have an idea of what that might be.

If they say they don't know, or it's too far away - I don't think it's rude to ask if they can recommend someone else having a litter close to when you're looking. Most good breeders put enough time and money into the litters that they don't breed often enough to keep up with demand. Of course someone responsible looking for a puppy should be flexible about waiting a little longer, but I don't think it's unreasonable to not want to wait more than 6 months or a year, especially if it's a sport or working dog prospect.

Kilter

I would. Just be honest and say 'I'm thinking that Summer 2014 would be ideal timing, do you have anything around then or can you suggest another breeder?' and then go from there.

I would rather see people go to a good breeder than some of the junk out there. I've had people ask me, then at the same time click 'like' on some horrid breeder's pictures, or suddenly friend a known puppy miller breeding show dogs.... I'd just as soon they go support a good honest breeder if not me.

But really if you like this breeder, waiting six months shouldn't be a huge deal.

Xandra

I don't think it's rude and I think if they're insulted by the question they are very likely being silly.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I don't think it's rude and I think if they're insulted by the question they are very likely being silly.
I've asked the very question before and don't think it is rude at all. I did, however, have one breeder give me a lecture about how I shouldn't put a timeline on getting the right puppy. Which is true in a way, I suppose, but the right time is the right time and wanting a pup at a specific point in time shoupdnt be frowned upon.

Flyinsbt

No. All the really ethical breeders I know are willing to recommend a different breeder if they don't have a pup at the time you are looking.

adojrts

Yeah I don't buy that, timing is everything and your either in the right place and ready to add a puppy or your not. As a breeder I don't want anyone of the fence about when or if they should get a pup. Agreed, good breeders should be willing to help you with recommendations.

Aleron

I wouldn't find it rude at all. I refer people to other breeders far more often then I sell puppies. And just because a breeder has a litter or litter planned doesn't mean the right puppy will be in that litter for you. I have referred people to other litters or breeders when I have had puppies because I didn't have the right puppy for them or because they didn't want one right now but definitely wanted one before I'd be breeding again. I'd wait for a puppy if I had a specific breeding in mind or a specific breeder and have for sure but there's nothing wrong with wanting a puppy in a certain time frame either. Once I decided I wanted to get a PyrShep, I wasn't going to wait 2+ years to get a puppy unless I absolutely had to. I wanted a puppy sometime within that year because I was ready and because I have long term plans for what dogs I'd like to add and when.

Maxy24

Many breeder pages I've looked on that say they don't currently have any litters will also say that they are happy to point you in the direction of someone that does. So I don't think it would be rude to ask at all.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
I don't think it's rude at all-many breeders I know will happily recommend you on to someone else if it's not working for timing.

Lyzelle

The breeders I've talked to have been happy to refer me to someone else who is planning a litter in my general timeframe, or willing to contact the other breeder/s for me and send my puppy application on for me. Which is nice, so I'm not constantly filling out a bajillion of those things.

As far as you putting them down as a reference, I wouldn't unless they specifically DID recommend another breeder to you or DID say to put them in your references. Then I would say that in my main letter/email. "Hello! My name is --- and [breeders such and such] recommended I talk to you" and go on about the usual of what you want/circumstances, so on.

And I say that because I've walked into some serious political crap before (unknowingly). And that's awkward. You can never really tell which breeder has bad ties with another breeder, especially if they are both quite professional. But if they recommend each other to you, then no problem.

Oh not at all - my breeder even likes chatting with me about her buddies around the province/country who are expecting puppies LOL. She was really nice and open about if I wanted a older puppy or if it was too early for me etc when I first approached her.

Just ask - they won't be offended.

Members online