Saved a pair of snapping turtles... just a normal day ;)

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I was driving past the lake this morning in my neighborhood, and there were 2 snapping turtles in the middle of the road. I picked each of them up and moved them back into the grass by the lake. They were SO heavy and hard to hold onto because of the algae on their shells.

I'm assuming they are male and female- they each had a different looking shell. I took a couple of pics with my iPhone and went on my way!

turtles by Chihuahuaesque, on Flickr

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I hope you put them in the side they were heading towards, or else they're just gonna have to make the trek again! :yikes:

I adore snapping turtles <3

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I hope you put them in the side they were heading towards, or else they're just gonna have to make the trek again! :yikes:

I adore snapping turtles <3
The side they were heading towards only had houses and no water. I put them back on the lake side (you know where the big white house is on the curve when you're driving towards my house? That's close to where they were). They waddled back into the lake as I was leaving. LOL.

Look like sliders to me, but they're real cute! Good for you getting them out of the road! I do hate seeing turtles that have been run over.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Look like sliders to me, but they're real cute! Good for you getting them out of the road! I do hate seeing turtles that have been run over.
Oooh, I think you're right! I don't know my turtles at all. I only know how you're supposed to pick them up to get them off the road!

Aren't sliders supposed to have different looking shells? Their shells were so dirty, so it was hard to tell.

MicksMom

LOL I was going to say the same thing.

The side they were heading towards only had houses and no water. I put them back on the lake side (you know where the big white house is on the curve when you're driving towards my house? That's close to where they were). They waddled back into the lake as I was leaving. LOL.
Most likely they were crossing the road to lay eggs. Chances are they will do it again.

Look like sliders to me, but they're real cute!...
I thought they looked like something other than snappers, too, I just couldn't put my finger on what, tho.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
And yah, I agree. Generally, they have a reason for crossing the street, and generally most people will just put them back on the side that, to us, makes the most sense. Then the turtles have to try all over again.

Oooh, I think you're right! I don't know my turtles at all. I only know how you're supposed to pick them up to get them off the road!

Aren't sliders supposed to have different looking shells? Their shells were so dirty, so it was hard to tell.
Hooray for the internet! It looks like you don't have any sliders like that (just little yellow ones) where you are, but it looks kinda like a Florida Cooter now that I have pictures in front of me!

Either way they're sure cute and very much alive thanks to you!

Edit:

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Most likely they were crossing the road to lay eggs. Chances are they will do it again.

They were just chilling in the road, not even walking anywhere. I'm not sure the people who lived in the house they were heading towards would've appreciated them in their yard- I would've felt SO odd putting the turtles into someone's front yard. And then they would've had to cross again to get back to the water.

There is a huge stretch of grass in front of the lake, so hopefully they'll find a place there to lay eggs :)

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
And yah, I agree. Generally, they have a reason for crossing the street, and generally most people will just put them back on the side that, to us, makes the most sense. Then the turtles have to try all over again.
Had I left them on the road, they probably would've been run over. It was rush hour time for people leaving to go to work.

Members online

No members online now.