How do you dispose of grease/oil when cooking?

What do you do with grease or hot oil after cooking?

• Put it down the drain

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Put it in a jar and throw it out

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Throw it outside somewhere

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • French Fries with mayo

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters

xpaeanx

I picked the last one because I don't cook with grease. I use butter or sometimes water so it gets cooked into the food. Or if I'm making something like bacon, I put the drippings in the dog's food.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
There's an empty tomato sauce can that sits by the stove. We pour any drippings (whatever it is.. water, butter, oil, anything) into it before doing dishes. When it's full, I think mom freezes it then throws it out? I'm not really sure what happens after... :p

The oil from the deep fryer gets put into an old costco oil jug. When that's full, dad throws it out, lid on and everything.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Typically the only grease we see is from bacon. Whatever old glass spaghetti sauce jar I have around gets filled over time (stored under the sink) and then thrown away.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I actually save my bacon grease in a jar in the fridge and use it to fry/cook with. I pour it in to the jar before it's been sitting out for too long so it is still "good". Gives eggs and things a nice flavor!

Other grease is soaked up with a paper towel and thrown in the trash. Cooking oil (veggie oil, for example) I'll either dump down the drain or pour into the trash if I'll be emptying it soon.

I've never chucked it outside. That would attract way ti many animals/bugs.

GipsyQueen

I picked the last one... we don't cook with grease. I usually cook with butter or a little bit of olive oil.

milos_mommy

Wait.

For people who say they don't cook with grease....I'm so confused. By "grease" I mean any kind of cooking/vegetable oil leftover in a pan, the butter left in a pan, or if you cook meat or something and the fat melts into the pan?

Idk what other kind of grease there is? Besides maybe lard or something?

So I guess I meant butter or oil.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Wait.

For people who say they don't cook with grease....I'm so confused. By "grease" I mean any kind of cooking/vegetable oil leftover in a pan, the butter left in a pan, or if you cook meat or something and the fat melts into the pan?

Idk what other kind of grease there is? Besides maybe lard or something?

So I guess I meant butter or oil.
When I hear "grease", I think of the fat left over from meat. Grease, oil and butter are all separate things in my mind.

GipsyQueen

When I hear "grease", I think of the fat left over from meat. Grease, oil and butter are all separate things in my mind.
Yeah, this. We don't eat meat, so thats a none-issue anyways.

When I cook with olive oil or butter it's not alot and it's obsorbed by the food.

milos_mommy

Interesting! I kind of just assumed that because I hear people (or at least my family) say something like "this pizza is greasy" or "greasy French fries" (which would technically be oil), that it was the same thing!

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
I voted "throw it outside somewhere", but that is honestly our last resort.

When we use butter (I use a lot of butter), most of that gets cooked in and disposal isn't an issue.

When we cook bacon, I save the drippings in a container and freeze it for reuse. I'll use it in place of butter for making eggs, sauteing vegetables, etc. It gets used up pretty quick without having to waste much that way.

When we fry with oil, I let it cool and then save it in a used oil jug. I can get 2-4 more uses out of it with frying (depending on the application). I also use it to lube the grill prior to cooking out there. When the oil has given up all it's got to give, that's when I throw it out in a corner of the backyard somewhere.

Michiyo-Fir

I chose throw outside but really I soak it up with paper towels from the pan so it doesn't clog my drain. Especially bacon grease, and then I just toss the paper towels in the regular kitchen garbage. We've always done it this way as far as my family is concerned.

We don't cook that many things that make grease anymore, just bacon occasionally. But I pour it into a can or jar and then throw it away when it's cooled/full. Sometimes I'll save a little for cooking.

No reason really other than that's the way my mom did it, so that's the way I do it, too. :p

Members online