thinking about the next dog (again)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
We're doing this on another forum and I thought maybe you guys could put in your take too. I am actually wavering a bit on breed choice for the future larger dog, so here goes...

I'm looking for a medium to large dog in the range of 30-70 lbs preferably. I will obviously go smaller but I want something different than the paps and honestly I can't see myself with another breed that is small. If I want a small dog, I'd likely just get another pap. I could go a little larger, but I am not a fan of giant breeds, though.

Energy level needs to be high, but I like focus and an off switch that can be instilled. I'm looking at staying with the typical 2-3 hours a day of exercise. We do the park two hours where they run offleash and we also do a lot of fetch games and training.

I'm looking for a sports dog. Agility is my main focus, but I'd like to try both flyball and lure coursing in the future. (Probably not with the same dog, so an either/or would work there)

I like some biddability but I also like a somewhat independent streak. I'm realizing this working with Mia and thinking of my past dog Nikki. Both are somewhat independent and like to throw a wrench into your plans. Summer is so biddable, it's like cheating with her, lol. I like that edge that Nikki and Mia have that Summer seems to lack. I like dogs that are good problem solvers over anything else. (You know, the ones that figure out how to open your draws and take things out ... coughmiacough)

Needs to be able to live with the papillons however they will obviously be separated when not strictly supervised. I can deal with not allowing them outside together though too. (In the case of sighthounds I know many live fine inside but can have prey drive kick in outside).

No tendency to be DA, but doesn't have to be a dog park dog either. I'd just like to avoid any huge issues between my own crew.

No coats that need professional grooming.

Either friendly or aloof with strangers works for me. I've had both and like both but I do tend to like the aloofness a bit more, honestly. Summer is super friendly and Mia is very aloof with strangers. She's a one person dog.

Both Mia and Nikki have been my favorite temperaments in my dogs (though Summer is my heart girl). They both have what can only be described as a bit of an attitude and it is oh so fun to deal with. (Did I just say that out loud?) I really love Mia, she fits to a T though I could use a little more confidence in a dog as Mia is a bit skittish sometimes. Mia is busy, high drive, super smart, sweet to me and her people, aloof with random people, slightly DR but okay to be around other dogs, she's athletic, biddable when you can motivate her but still has enough of that 'i'm gonna flip you off right now' tude to keep things interesting.

Dekka

Just try me..
You describe a toller perfectly...

A whippet could work.. but really you described a toller lol.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
You describe a toller perfectly...

A whippet could work.. but really you described a toller lol.
Lmao, toller is what I keep coming up with too. I think it may be more of what I want than a bc or aussie. I was just checking with everyone. :lol-sign:

Dekka

Just try me..
If not a Golden , I'd suggest a Sheltie .
Shelties are pretty small, and not known for their an awesome off switch (bark bark lol) And golden aren't known for their high energy/drive. Both great breeds.. but don't fit the requirements as well as other sport bred dogs.

Grammy.. have you met a toller? They look a bit like a small red golden.. only MUCH higher drive (and loud when excited.. OMG the loud lol)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I think my problem is I don't have any real hands on experience with Tollers. Sure, I've seen a few at shows but I've never really known any like I do bcs and aussies.

I've had shelties before and that's an option too, although I don't know if I'm quite ready for another. I'd prefer something a bit bigger too.

Dekka

Just try me..
Thats like me and the whippets. We had met some at shows and talked to people but that was it. Any toller breeders in visiting distance? I can tell you if you think you can handle a BC you can handle a toller. Many of the same sort of potential 'issues'.

bubbatd

I was very interested in Tollers when I first read about them .... after meeting 3 , they are too hyper for me / love their looks though !

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I still say an Aussie would fit in quite well, but yeah, Tollers seem to fit the bill as well. I don't have any hands on experience with a full Toller, but there was a mix that used to go to the dog park and he was a pretty neat guy. Loved the water!

Artfish

Drivey and Intense
Tossing my vote in for a working line German shepherd dog, female if possible, small end of the size spectrum. Those suckers can FLY. :) With the right breeder, you could get everything you have in that list. I know of working line GSDs that live with small breeds like Chinese cresteds.

Doberluv

Wow....until I read "needs no professional grooming," my mind went to the Standard Poodle. (of course, you could learn how to clip) They're drivey, as far as I know, quick and agile...good for agility. I believe they have an off switch....can be friendly or sometimes a little on the aloof side. You'd be better off asking a real Poodle person here. But I can just see one zooming around an agility course and chilling out on the couch for movies afterwards. LOL.

Doberluv

LOL. No kidding! Hahaha.

Well, I'm partial to Poodles. I want one. tee hee hee. And I mustn't have another dog right now. So, I want everyone else to get one so I can live vicariously through them. LOL.

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
Some Rat Terriers can push over 20+ pounds ...

Edit - nevermind. I saw 30 lbs - didn't see 30-70. Duh!

Last edited:

lizzybeth727

Sounds like GSD or standard poodle to me. ;) Possibly a collie, too, though the show bred ones aren't really known for their athletecism ('course you could say that about most breeds).

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I really like GSDs, I've had one before. Also love aussies and bcs of course. And whippets and tollers. I just am trying to figure out which would be the 'best'. Maybe I can find a way to meet some more tollers. That breed intrigues me a lot and I don't have the experience with them like I do my other top choices. They sound essentially like a slightly more independent thinking bc.

Too many breeds, too little time. Or I should just find a way to make the 'Giant Mia' breed. lol

I like poodles, I just don't like the hair. I like easy to maintain coats. My dad wants a Griff. I should add that I'm getting into bird hunting btw. Right now I'm just practicing with my shotgun but one day I would like to be to a point where I can join in on the hunting. My family members all hunt (especially pheasants).

Bigpoodleperson

Megan and Draco
LOL, i was thinking poodle too until the "no grooming" part! ;) You could just have them clipped close. You then dont have to worry about it or do maintence brushing.
I am currently on the hunt for a good performance (agility, obed., tracking, etc) poodle myself. Drivey with a deffinate "off switch". I like smart dogs too, so ideal choice for me.

Tollers sound like they could make the short list too. Ive never met one in person though. Very nice from what ive heard though. What about a vizsla? I really like them.

BluButt

I was going to say Portuguese Water Dog, until I got to the no professional grooming part. But if you invested in a decent set of clippers and learned the retriever cut, you'd be golden.

My husband's family has always had Brittanys. They're also great in agility, love to swim, can learn to do just about anything, are very social with other dogs, and come with a great off switch. They can work all day and be just as happy sitting at your feet. And their coat is very manageable with basic bath/brushing.

I was also going to suggest a standard poodle or giant schnauzer, but again with the coat issues.

BluButt

I should add that I'm getting into bird hunting btw. Right now I'm just practicing with my shotgun but one day I would like to be to a point where I can join in on the hunting. My family members all hunt (especially pheasants).
Definitely a Brittany then! Very versatile dogs. And from working lines, excellent on the birds.

Members online

No members online now.