Time is flying by so fast!

On December 23, King and Molly will be 10 years old. It seems like it was yesterday when I saw them for the first time, in the little house where 8 of the thirteen pups in the litter were bouncing off the walls. The rest had found homes at that point, and I wondered why King, about as friendly as it gets, wasn't picked. Molly was and is very timid, so her still being there was a little more understandable, but it still was odd to me. I hadn't planned on getting pups so soon, and was actually about to put a deposit on two Greater Swiss Mountain Dog pups that would be ready in the later summer, if all went well. I had planned to wait on getting another dog for at least 6 months, thinking I would finally "do it right", instead of just getting a pup on the spur of the moment.

But, it didn't happen, my friend told us about his ex-girlfriend having 13 pups to find homes for. I thought about it for a minute or so, and got the address and phone number. I called them later that day, and were told they were "Lab mixes", and I guess it's true, but maybe they are a quarter Lab, at most, as the mom was a Lab/Doberman with the Dobe dominating, and who knows what dad was, supposedly a Husky that lived next door. My mother and I went over the next night, and walked into a circus. 8 pups, the mother, and a 12 year old kid were bouncing off the walls!

There was no way I wouldn't have taken King, who climbed up into my mother's lap and instantly fell asleep, and Molly had followed him over, and I was hooked on her too. I picked up King and Molly the next morning, and took them to the vet, who pronounced them "fine". King has been the healthiest, by far, dog I have ever had, but Molly, sadly has her share of problems, including severe allergies, a hip that is bad, but hasn't caused major problems, and an assortment of phobias, and a general squirelliness. As usual with two pups that already know each other, there were no problems with dominance or rank, since that had been settled long before. And as usual with two pups at once, regardless of what the "experts" claim, puppyhood was much easier than with a single pup, as they played and slept a lot because of all that playing. Housebreaking was a dream, in two weeks it was over with, and Molly has been perfect since. King, as is to be expected, hasn't been, but he's pretty close.

Now they have white faces and their eyes are a little cloudy, and I think about how long they have left, and get all upset. They don't act old, yet, but I know it's coming. And I know the end is coming too. Hopefully, it won't be for 4 or 5 years, at least, but I know it IS coming, and too soon. I know I will have another dog, or dogs, and I love Molly, but King is my "dog of a lifetime", and when he goes, it's gonna be worse than any dog that went before him. Time really is flying by, both for me, and for us all.

Barb04

Super Moderator
You brought tears to my eyes. I can tell how much you love each other. The best we can all do is love them each and every day they are with us. I have gone on to have more family members but will never forget those who are no longer here.

I'm glad you liked it. 2 more days until their birthday. I have no idea how I have wound up with 4 dogs with the same birthday:

Dec 23, 1998-King and Molly
Dec 23, 1984 Gus, my Pit mix
Dec 23, 1976, Joe, my yellow Lab.

My Beagle, Farfel was born on April 23, 1965

If my next dogs are born on the 23rd of a month, well, that's just gonna be too weird, and if it's Dec 23, well, something very odd is going on.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
while it is hard to watch them age, there is also beauty in it. My Trav is 13 years now, and I know how you feel. I dread the day she is no longer with us, but I love each day we have together. Cherish them, as I know you do. And happy birthday to King and Molly!

Yeah, I kind of know what you mean. But when the day comes when they act old, it's gonna hurt.

The last year Gus was alive, I kept waiting for whatever it was that was going to be "it". With all my other dogs, it was heart trouble, but Gus's heart was fine till the end, I guess from his still white teeth, with no trace of gum disease at all. All that rawhide did a great job keeping his teeth clean, and his gums massaged. He even had callouses on his gums from all the chewing he did! His jaws still worked until the end. One of the last things he could still do well was chew up rawhide a quarter inch thick like it was a hunk of paper..

As time went by, I started thinking it would be cancer. And it was. His hips were really creaky at that point, and I don't think his eyesight was all that great, so it was probably time to go. He was nothing like the dog he was, the one that stomped down the halls of the house like he weighed 250 pounds, and could jump six feet in the air, and who was almost scary strong. He lived a long life, longer than I ever expected him to, so I kind of think I had a couple extra years with him that was a bonus. Molly's hips are ok now, but I know they will probably start bothering her soon, and the way King flails around, I figure he will wear something out eventually, and then they will finally be "old". And soon, it will start all over again.

bubbatd

That's the only problems with dogs ..... they never live as long as we want . But ---" It's better to have loved and lost .... than never to have loved at all ."

Members online