Welcome our new addition....

vxmonaxv

Faithful Companion
We picked up our newest addition to our little family today. He is a three week old toy fox terrier that we named Kalvin. We used a "K" in honor of our dearly beloved Kissie that passed away almost three weeks ago. We where unsure if now was a good time to get a new puppy so soon after the death of Kissie, but we know we will never replace him just that we are moving forward with life. So here are a few pictures of him, and we will keep everyone posted on him.

skyhigh

3 weeks old? You should never take a pup away from its mother that early. Where did you get him from? He's meant to be with his litter mates and mum. He's a cutie though. Love his face :p

Last edited:

skyhigh

OK. Maybe I was a little rude. Sorry. I can't get over his cuteness though. Awww. Keep him safe. He's gonna be sleaping a lot at that age. Oh puppys. So cute.

vxmonaxv

Faithful Companion
It's ok I understand totally, I agree that three weeks is young, but the person we bought them from said the mother was already starting to push the pups away. I would have liked for him to be a bit older but we will manage, he is a good boy and I am sure he is going to have a great personality.

luvmydogs

he is so cute! and OMg 3 weeks. but i see u already wrapped him in a towel and taking good care of him....keep those pics coming. puppyhood will go by so fast, and i dont think i ever seen u on this forum, so welcome ;)

vxmonaxv

Faithful Companion
We are pretty new to this board, we made some previous posts to see if anyone knew about a growth on our last dog that recently passed. This board helped us both in dealing with the death of our beloved Kissie.

luvmydogs

vxmonaxv said:
We are pretty new to this board, we made some previous posts to see if anyone knew about a growth on our last dog that recently passed. This board helped us both in dealing with the death of our beloved Kissie.
oh yea i remember, and again i'm so sorry for your loss, i lost cujo about a week before u lost your honey. i'm glad u found happiness again...i'm sorry i didnt read thru the post, i was so drawn to the pictures

skyhigh

You have lots of fun with him!! Give Kalvin a hug for me. Hows he going? Are you coping well? Have a good sleap tonight. LOL-My pup kept me up all her first week being here. She's 11 weeks now and growing out of it. :)

Fran27

He's really really cute, but 3 weeks is way too young :( Any way you can give him back until he is 8 weeks? You're likely to have lots of behavior issues otherwise :( That person is really irresponsible.

luvmydogs

Fran27 said:
He's really really cute, but 3 weeks is way too young :( Any way you can give him back until he is 8 weeks? You're likely to have lots of behavior issues otherwise :( That person is really irresponsible.
would it be a good choice? she said the mother already pushed him away,....she can go to the petshop and buy puppy food (milk substitute) in sorenges (spelling) or something, right?

Fran27

Oh the food is probably not really a problem, there is some stuff out there. It's learning bite inhibition, not to pee in the den and that kind of stuff... I've heard that excuse a lot when people get young pups, I have no clue how dogs do when they have pups but I would guess it's normal to start teaching them to be more independant when they get 3 weeks, but that doesn't mean they don't need their mom anymore. She was 'starting to push the dogs away', not refusing to nurse them or to take care of them.

I just think it's really sad for the pups.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Oh give Kalvin a gentle kiss & hug from me. I have heard before where the mom will not take care of the puppies. I'm glad you have this little pup to care for and love. They say when a human takes care of a pup at that young age, they really bond with you.

RD

Are you dead yet?
If returning the puppy to be with its littermates is not an option, I'd recommend reading up on the critical "learning" stages of a puppy's life.. It'll help you understand what his mother and littermates would have been teaching him at each stage in his life, and perhaps you can try to mimic that. (I've raised newborn kittens and acted as a 'mother' to them, but never a puppy, so I don't know.. Mimicking the mother cat worked great with the kittens, they grew up and still 'knew' how to be cats, but I'm not sure how a pup would react.) I'm not totally sure, but that might be helpful in lessening the behavior problems (especially bite inhibition!) that might pop up as he grows.

MyDogsLoveMe

My pets love me they do
He is indeed such a cutie, cute enough to scop up and just smother with kisses. Keep him safe as I do agree 3 weeks young is stll a baby. Good luck and congrats

Doberluv

Oh, he is cute. And welcome! But three weeks is really too young. It's true....they don't need their mother so much once they're weaned but it's the lessons they learn from their littermates which are sooo important to their psychological development. It would be nice if he could be returned with them if they're still together. It's hard to mimick what they do, but you could research and try. Let us know how he gets on. Good luck.

Members online