Rehoming fees...

SarahFair

So Im sure we have all heard of craigs list, no?
Some people on there are asking for outrageous fees!
What would yall think is a fair price?

RD

Are you dead yet?
Um, for a dog or..?

I think it depends on the individual. An adoption fee of $400 or so that covers the dog's health care (including neuter/spay), the care it recieved during its stay in its foster home, and what the dog comes with (crate, toys, leashes/collars, etc.) isn't all that outrageous.

And in any case, what I pay for the dog initially is nothing compared to what I wind up spending on them after I've adopted them.

That being said, over $500 for a rehome dog makes me think someone might be looking to turn a profit.

sisco16

koda bear
yea i just mentioned something about how i thought it absurd of people to give animals away free on that site because nothing is free. And a fee even if its small will at least help to ensure a good home i would hope. Look at the topic free under the fire hydrant.

noludoru

Bored Now.
If the dog is spayed and UTD on everything, I might pay $400. It depends on the area and the dog. If you're jut rehoming a family pet, anywhere from $60-200.

Miakoda

yea i just mentioned something about how i thought it absurd of people to give animals away free on that site because nothing is free. And a fee even if its small will at least help to ensure a good home i would hope. Look at the topic free under the fire hydrant.
Just because someone pays for something doesn't mean they are going to care for it any better than someone who obtains the same thing for free. It's a myth that money = quality of care.

I've personally taken in rescues now for about 14 years. I've forked out the money for medical care, food, crates, bowls, etc. and never ever thought about making that money back. For me, a private rescue person, making money of off it or even getting reimbursed is not why I do it.

I've never charged an "adoption " fee. What I did and still do is make sure that the home and owners-to-be in question meet all my strict standards (& I'm a VERY picky person). Once a home is found, it is my pleasure to place the dog into that new forever home and I even throw in the dog's possession as well (crates, toys, collar, bowls, etc.)

I completely understand the adoption fee issue with shelters and rescue agencies. But for me personally, if I can't afford to do it, then I have no business doing it. People shouldn't have to pay me for a decision I made for myself.

Members online

No members online now.