he absolutely despises it!!

poeluvr

does anyone know any good sights to teach you how you can get your dog to like his leash. he still wont walk with it on, even with the help of treats.

RD

Are you dead yet?
I got my boys used to the leash by letting them drag it around the house all day. Once they stopped freaking out over it being hooked to their collar, I started working on teaching them to walk nicely, and rewarding them for it.

I think Buffy took the prize for a negative reaction to a leash. Charley didn't want her off of the farm or leashed (???) until after she was five months old. So . . . the day he had to put her on a leash the first time there was Hell to pay. She leapt in the air, she frothed at the mouth, she snarled, growled, snapped, bit and attacked the leash. Charley just stood there, holding his end up in the air with this look of incredulity on his face.

We got her calmed down. She wasn't happy, but she was all right. Later that day I started working with her on the leash. It took about 10 minutes :rolleyes: I just talked to her the whole time and kept her distracted from the fact that she was on the end of a leash. After that she was fine.

becca_4321

I started Gracie by hooking it to her collar and letting her drag it around. We did this a couple of times then she was just fine with walking. I'm going to be changing over to a harness with her I think instead of using a neck collar.

poeluvr

i was thinking maybe if i get him a lighter leash.....cuz his is a extremely small chained one...but it still may be to heavy for him?

Doberluv

Oh yeah....lose the chain. Use a leather or nylon leash and do like Rip said...let him wear it around the house but supervise that he doesn't get it caught on something or strangle on it. Then after a while take up the other end and entice him over to you with treats and just make it a game to follow you around the house. You can get him to come along with you first without the leash on. Use treats and a playful voice. Then put the leash on and do the same. Don't make any tension in the leash or drag him. Just pretend like there's no leash and encourage him to come along down the hall and around the house. Do it for 5 minutes and then put it away. After a while you can go outside and do that in your yard. Just short practices at first. Good luck.

GSDFan05

Sometimes it helps to start them walking with a harness, your pup may be less 'freaked out' if she's not feeling pressure on her throat. Once she gets used to being walked you can transition to a regular collar. Don't get discouraged, my parents' retriever was a NIGHTMARE to walk when he was a pup, but now he's fantastic on a leash, I think having a jumping demon at your side walking down the street is just a rite of passage in puppy ownership. ;)

poeluvr

yea i may go buy a harness tonight and i look for the smallest dog leash , their should be one for people with chihuahuas if not ill get a cat leash...lol

Lea, you've got a Terrier, right? Actually, you can just stay with the harness. They work very well for Terriers, and they're safer. Even a Terrier has a hard time slipping a harness!

bubbatd

I have always believed in a harness for a young pup of any breed. So much safer for them and not as frightening. I've never owned a small breed, but feel this would be the best for them also.....even fully grown ! ( unless they are in the show ring)

bridey_01

Kelpiefied
I found with my old chihuahua that the greatest distraction from being on a leash would be the fascinating world outside the door! As soon as we got him out of the house he was frisking along the street perfectly like he'd been wearing a leash since he was born.

BagelDog

Not crazy...
I just put the leash on, and let him drag it around. BUT ONLY WHEN YOUR WATCHING! My friends dog recentally hung itself and died. But mostly, let him get older. My pups hated the leash, but then as they got older they learned to tolereate it. It also helps to walk them with another dog that can walk on a leash. That is what untimaltally got my pups to walk on a leash. Walking them with my older dachies.

What kind of collar?

I'm no expert, but maybe it's the collar?

When our dogs were in their puppy collars, we tried walking them, but since the collars were so thin, we clipped the leash around the whole collar, since there was no metal loop to attach it to. For some reason, the pups would give us this look like "WHY DO YOU HATE ME SO???" howl, and plop their stubborn little butts down and not budge, even with treats or petting!

As soon as we got bigger collars with proper loops to attach the leash to, the dogs loved being on leash and going for walks. It was an instant one-day transition.

mrose_s

BusterLove
sorry, cant help, none of any of our dogs have ever had a negative reaction to the lead. they just see it as leash = outside. you could try taking her out, then hooking it to her. and if she misbehaves/is scared just take her back inside until she calms down then try again. Not sure though, verify that with someone with experience.

mrose_s

BusterLove
bubbatd said:
I have always believed in a harness for a young pup of any breed. So much safer for them and not as frightening. I've never owned a small breed, but feel this would be the best for them also.....even fully grown ! ( unless they are in the show ring)
howcome the showring changes things?

There's a special show lead that's used. If you'll watch, you'll see that there is a loop that's usually brought right up below the back of the jawline and the lead attaches at the top, allowing the handler to guide the dog to hold its head erect so that it shows to best advantage and doesn't get distracted and start sniffing along the floor. Right, Grammy?

showpug

A snap show lead would be a good idea as they are very light and small. I would loose the chain!!! Chains being drug around by the neck of a small pooch can't be pleasent as it must make a lot of noise :eek: Chains are very uncomfortable on your hands as well. Soft leather or cotton is much better. I agree with the harness, but your pup also needs to get used to a collar and a leash...your pup will adjust as it matures. :)

Members online