Get out of the bed training issue...help please?

Dreeza

Hey guys! Haven't been in awhile (although I lurk every now & then...I'll give an update in the appropriate section)...

But could really use your help.

Oakley's time in the bed needs to come to an end, and he has been doing great with me. It's only been for about a week now (finally realized leashing him to his bed was a really dumb idea). Was just rewarding him everytime he got in his bed, then telling him 'off' everytime he jumped in the bed. He caught on really quickly. Still tries to get in in the mornings, but whatever, surprisingly well overall.

EXCEPT for when my boyfriend is around. He is an absolute nightmare. He will whine & whine & bark endlessly. We've tried to wait it out, but we both have roomies & over 2+ hours of barking with zero signs of stopping is just crazy. He whines a little bit with me, but settles down in under 5 minutes.

WHAT GIVES!!!??? He loooooves my boyfriend - they get along fantastically from what I can tell. He does tend to be way rowdier/misbehave more when he is around though.

My bf is definitely willing to get involved in training, I just have no idea what to do.

THANKS GUYS :)

Maxy24

The first and easiest thing I thought of was make sure the bf ignores him for a good half hour before bed time. If the dog was recently getting attention from him the separation will be harder.

Otherwise maybe some sort of bed time chew, like a bully stick or stuffed kong to help him forget about you guys ( but some dogs will just start back up when they finish).

Dreeza

Thanks, Maxy. Only have been able to try the ignoring thing once without success. I do give him rawhides, but he is just uninterested when the bf is around.

BF is gone for 10 days, so hoping this can get oakley on this schedule & try again when he gets back...

BlackPuppy

Owned by Belgians
Oakley sure is beautiful, what is he? He looks like a Mudi except for the coat. Why do I have the feeling I already asked you this?

Members online