New Dog, Need Help

Cthulhu7

Mitch & Erin
Hey everybody. (I'm so sorry this post is so long)

So for those who don't know, yesterday we had to give up Cthulhu. He had attacked a neighbors dog, and the owner freaked and went to our apartment's office. The management (sadly, within their rights) gave us 24 hours to remove the dog.

That's the sad part. The good news that we found Cthulhu a new home, with a nice family. He'll have 4 kids, a mom, and a dad to play with; a yard to run in, and I think he'll do just fine.

So, Erin and I are very upset with both the management and our neighbor, but we have decided to move on and just get a new dog. Neither of us is happy without a dog in the apartment, and it's very difficult to wake up and realize that you don't need to take anyone out to go potty.

Here's where I need some help. We've already decided that we are absolutely getting a puppy. Nothing older than 6 months. We also agreed that we want a bigger dog (yes, partially because we want our neighbor to be scared of our next dog.) So right now we're looking pretty hard at Rotties and GSDs. We were thinking maybe a Staffy, but neither of us has the natural "alpha" personality needed for one.

Here's the problem. Erin and I both have moderate allergies to dog dander. We also have a strong dislike for pet hair. That's why we got rid of our cats, and that's why we got a dog that almost never sheds. But there are so few hypoallergenic dogs that match the size we want, we've decided to sacrifice. They make pills for allergies after all.

Finally, my question. For those of you who own dogs in hotter climates (think Texas hot), how much do your dogs shed? I'm perfectly fine with brushing once a day. But if my dog is still going to shed a ton, then I need to factor that in. My thinking is that since Texas seasons don't change drastically, or even all that much, the dog probably won't need to shed it's normal twice a year. Also, the dog will be kept well groomed, and even a GSD will likely have a shorter coat than normal.

Again, sorry this was so long. It was a combination of needing help and getting things off my chest. Thank you all so much for having some sympathy when I lost Cthulhu, I appreciate it.

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
I think you need to strongly re examine your motivations for wanting a dog. Really I do. :(

JessLough

Love My Mutt
You don't think you have the personality for a staffy, but you think you can handle a rottie?

Choosing a dog breed because you want the neighbours to be afraid of the dog is never a good idea.

thehoundgirl

I know you're hurt about giving up Cthulhu... but I would not get a Rottie or GSD to scare your neighbor's. Because if all hell breaks loose with them again, you may have to give up the new pup/dog as well.

Have you researched either breed thoroughly? You have to be dominant with a Rottie and GSD as well. If you are just getting a Rottie or GSD to scare your neighbors, well I don't think it's a good idea for you to get either breed.

Paige

Let it be
I don't personally believe in the alpha/dominant mentality. I'm a really soft natured person and I've had animals in the past with very strong personality types and it worked out totally fine.

Why do you want your neighbors to be afraid of your next dog? Even with a big scary looking dog I know for me I'd want people to respect my dog, not fear it. It doesn't do the breed on a whole any good to be feared just for being the neighbors pet.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
You don't think you have the personality for a staffy, but you think you can handle a rottie?

Choosing a dog breed because you want the neighbours to be afraid of the dog is never a good idea.
Yeahhhh.... My malinois need a much firmer hand than my pit bulls, hell you sneer at my pit bulls and their hearts break.

Please, please think about this before you jump in. You don't sound like you're well educated enough to buy a guardian breed.

BTW, your neighbors tattled once and the dog was taken away because you made a mistake and your schnauzer got in a "no damage" fight. With these bigger dogs you won't be so lucky, your dog may not only get taken away but you may face a very serious law suit.

You know, I know you're sad about losing Cthulu, but... he DID attack the neighbor's dog. I'd report that if it happened to me, too. It isn't really their fault and there's no point trying to be vengeful against them. I would strike "scaring the neighbors" off your list of qualities you want in a dog and start over with your breed search. If you come to the same conclusion, great, but maybe it's not a decision to be made while your feelings are so raw.

Bigpoodleperson

Megan and Draco
Ok umm, why are you mad at your neighbors if YOUR dog attacked their dog??? I would probably go to management also since it seems your general attitude about the situation is flippent.

I think you shouldnt get a certain breed just to scare your neighbors. What if your new scary breed ever got loose, attacked someone, heck what if they jumped playfully at someone and they took it as the dog trying to jump and attack them! With the breeds you are looking at, you will have NO leg to stand on if there was a complaint filed. You should get a breed that fits your lifestyle and that you can handle. Not to scare people! :(

Locke

I think you need to strongly re examine your motivations for wanting a dog. Really I do. :(

I know you're hurt about giving up Cthulhu... but I would not get a Rottie or GSD to scare your neighbor's. Because if all hell breaks loose with them again, you may have to give up the new pup/dog as well.

Have you researched either breed thoroughly? You have to be dominant with a Rottie and GSD as well. If you are just getting a Rottie or GSD to scare your neighbors, well I don't think it's a good idea for you to get either breed.
I don't personally believe in the alpha/dominant mentality. I'm a really soft natured person and I've had animals in the past with very strong personality types and it worked out totally fine.

Why do you want your neighbors to be afraid of your next dog? Even with a big scary looking dog I know for me I'd want people to respect my dog, not fear it. It doesn't do the breed on a whole any good to be feared just for being the neighbors pet.
Yeahhhh.... My malinois need a much firmer hand than my pit bulls, hell you sneer at my pit bulls and their hearts break.

Please, please think about this before you jump in. You don't sound like you're well educated enough to buy a guardian breed.

BTW, your neighbors tattled once and the dog was taken away because you made a mistake and your schnauzer got in a "no damage" fight. With these bigger dogs you won't be so lucky, your dog may not only get taken away but you may face a very serious law suit.
You know, I know you're sad about losing Cthulu, but... he DID attack the neighbor's dog. I'd report that if it happened to me, too. It isn't really their fault and there's no point trying to be vengeful against them. I would strike "scaring the neighbors" off your list of qualities you want in a dog and start over with your breed search. If you come to the same conclusion, great, but maybe it's not a decision to be made while your feelings are so raw.
Ok umm, why are you mad at your neighbors if YOUR dog attacked their dog??? I would probably go to management also since it seems your general attitude about the situation is flippent.

I think you shouldnt get a certain breed just to scare your neighbors. What if your new scary breed ever got loose, attacked someone, heck what if they jumped playfully at someone and they took it as the dog trying to jump and attack them! With the breeds you are looking at, you will have NO leg to stand on if there was a complaint filed. You should get a breed that fits your lifestyle and that you can handle. Not to scare people! :(
Really bears repeating over and over.

It's never a good idea to have a Staff or Rottie in an apartment anyway. Even if it's legal for you to keep those breeds right now, policies change, management changes, leases get non-renewed, etc.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
And GSDs can be very hard to rent with too. And there's a reason GSDs are nicknamed German Shedders. Our GSD shed more than any of our other dogs.

I'll also add I think this is a very bad idea.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Honestly, if you and Erin are unhappy without a dog in your lives, then why not get a dog that's appropriate for both of you rather than getting a dog purely to scare your neighbors?

I think a Rottweiler or GSD is a terrible idea for people with allergies, and neither of those breeds are ideal for apartment living as puppies and young dogs - don't both of you work?

I totally understand wanting a new dog, but I do agree that you need to analyze your reasons for wanting a dog. Right now just sounds like a vendetta rather than wanting to bring a new member into the family.

Paige

Let it be
Are your allergies really bad? 'cause those dogs all shed too. As someone who lives with an animal they are allergic to that aspect is do able but it totally sucks. I only have sight in my own eyes and every time the cats rub on my face I go BLIND because my good eye also is the one that likes to swell shut.

:'(

RD

Are you dead yet?
PS - Laurelin is so right about shepherds and their hair. Do not be fooled by a short coat and think that the dog won't shed everywhere. German shepherds shed an immense amount of short, spiky hair every single day. All dogs are going to shed, but two of the three breeds you picked are notorious for tons of shedding. GSDs shed even more than dogs like labs and goldens who seem to have more coat, but "blow" their coat a couple times a year.

Think long and hard about how much you really can deal with the hair in your house, because it's been something you have rehomed animals for in the past.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Oh my god at the hair from my dogs. I have a JRT/Aussie mix, a Labrador, a German Shepherd and now a Dutchie (who hasn't been here long enough to shed anything yet :p)

But every day we sweep up a pile of dog hair that you could make another small dog out of. If it goes a week (we're terrible housekeepers, but hair doesn't really bother us lol) the pile in the summer can be as big as Ozzy.

GSDs shed a butt load. Knox doesn't shed in tufts like some GSDs I've seen, but he just kind of sprinkles hair everywhere. All the time. In Georgia we haven't really had any seasons except "hot" and "hotter" this past year, so he hasn't really blown his coat but he still SHEDS.

He's a tough obnoxious dog. Sometimes he'd rather blow me off and do his own thing than pay attention and listen. They can be wonderful dogs, but they can also be nightmares.

I'd look at perhaps a doodle of some sort.

Cthulhu7

Mitch & Erin
Ok ok this got got way off topic. I am sorry that I even mentioned the whole "scaring my neighbor" thing. It was more as a joke than anything else. Personally, I don't care what she thinks.

As for why I'm angry at the neighbor: I'm upset because we could have settled this between us, without the need for a third party. In this case, the management. I had already offered to pay any vet bills if they needed it, and their dog is fine. He had a minuscule puncture on his cheek, it's already cleared up. All in all, this accident cost me a lot more than it cost my neighbor.

As for the breed. Yes, I know that Rotties and GSDs also need a somewhat firm hand. I'm hoping that by getting one as a baby, I'll be able to instill that early on and not have to work as hard later. The only Staffies I've found are already at least a year old, and will probably be tougher to train.
I know that many don't think bigger dogs should be in apartments. I have tons of time. I only have classes 2 days out of the week, and I have no trouble taking my dog to one of the many many parks in the city to play for a few hours. There's a huge park literally across the street from me, and it has trails, woods, and tons of space, and dogs are welcome as long as they are on leash. There are also plenty of off leash parks and trails.

I've never heard of any apartments in my city that have breed restrictions, and even if they do it's generally anti-pitbull and nothing else (which is sad). My old neighbors in a much nicer complex had a Saint Bernard in their apartment, and the management allowed it.

I promise, and can not stress this enough, that our motivations for a new dog are purely out of love. Cthulhu leaving has left a big hole very quickly, and we've agreed that we want a new dog as soon as possible. We both prefer bigger dogs, and have decided that this time around we will get a breed we love, instead of settling on a smaller dog because of the pros vs cons. Whatever we have to do to keep the dog happy, believe me we will do. I know that I said I wanted to scare my neighbor. This is a joke that Erin and I have been tossing around, and I apologize for bringing it up. Please don't look down on me, as some have already seemed to do.

I really really do need information about shedding though. That was the main purpose for my post. Please understand, Erin and I prefer to adopt from local shelters instead of from breeders. There are a lot of no-kill shelters in Austin, and every dog adopted opens up another space for another dog to get off of the euthanasia list. This means a LOT to us. The downside is that puppies are rare in shelters, and most of the ones that are there are either Chihuahuas or Dachsunds. We have seen a few Heelers, and Labs, but research tells me that Labs shed like crazy and Heelers need more exercise than I can offer them. I've also seen Pitbulls and Staffies. Pitbulls are common in Austin, but there's still the social issues. I am not very tolerant of people who ask stupid questions, and the first person to ask if I worry about him turning on me is going to get hit. I have seen a few GSDs and Rotties, and really would like to adopt one. I know they'll need plenty of exercise, but not to the extent that a Heeler needs. Plus, I've always loved Rotties, I think they might be my favorite breed.

I do need to know how their shedding will be in a constantly hot climate. Texas rarely gets below 20 degrees Fahrenheit, so will the dog go through a heavy shedding period like it normally would, or will it not be as bad?

I am sorry if I've upset some of you, as I think I have. I loved my dog, and I'll love my next dog just as much if not more. I would never adopt simply to anger someone else, because that wouldn't be worth it in the long run.

OwnedByBCs

Will Creep For Sheep
I don't really even know how to respond to this... this whole thing just seems pretty messed up to me...

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
We lived in Houston when we had a GSD. He shed bucketloads all the time. Not exaggerating at all. We had a lab at the same time. Both shed a lot. Much much more than our shelties ever did even with all their coat.

Also, I lived in central Texas a while and was looking at getting another GSD when I first moved there for school and could not find a single apartment that would allow one. Even my last apartment had no size limit but wouldn't allow GSDs, Rotts, Dobes, and pit bulls. My neighbor also had two Saint Bernards. The thing is GSDs, Rotts, Dobes, and pits are probably the most common breeds to be either banned at a complex or to have trouble with insurance. Saint Bernards aren't usually on those lists.

Even if you can rent with a rottweiler or a GSD where you are now, what about the future? It might not be impossible but it will likely limit your choices by quite a bit. You move to a town with less options than Austin and then what? When I moved to Oklahoma the apartments here were even LESS dog friendly.

Also, you will get the same questions with a GSD or rottie as a pit bull. Maybe not to the same extent but you will still get warned that they will turn on you.

Also, GSDs and rotties can often be DA to some extent or another. Our GSD was a prime example of how protective/territorial he was and he did end up sending two dogs to the e-vet when they came into our yard. If you had a dog previously that you couldn't handle that attacked other dogs, I'd worry about how you'd handle a dog like a GSD or a rottweiler. You can't afford any 'oops' with these dogs.

S

SevenSins

If you're incapable of handling a SCHNAUZER around other dogs what in the EVERLIVING HELL is possessing you to rush out and get a breed even MORE likely to be dog aggressive?!

The only Staffies I've found are already at least a year old, and will probably be tougher to train.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Regarding shedding: you say Labradors shed like crazy. This is true. But what sheds more than a Lab? A German Shepherd. What sheds the same as a Lab? A Rottweiler. So if you want a breed that will produce minimal dog hair...run away from both GSDs and Rotties. There will be tufts and tumbleweeds of hair EVERYWHERE. If you don't want hair, expect to vacuum every day.

Regarding "social issues" from stupid people: I guarantee you if you get a GSD or a Rottie you will have people commenting on how they are "aggressive" and will "turn on you" just like you'd get with a Pittie. They are all "mean" breeds in the eyes of the general public and you will get stupid questions.

Regarding exercise: a young GSD or a young Rottie is still going to need a lot of exercise. They are active dogs and without a job they will go bonkers. My breed of choice is the Labrador and I feel I could handle a Rottie's activity level, as well as your average pet bred GSD...but a Lab isn't a sedentary breed by any means. On that note, all of the Pitties and Staffies I've met have been just as active as my Labs. Kiba could go on a two mile run and not be phased at all.

Breed suggestions: Have you considered a Boxer at all? They shed, but not to the extent of a Rottie or Shepherd. Or perhaps a Standard or Giant Schnauzer? (No shedding, large, protective, come in black which is my favorite color ^^). A Greyhound may also work (hardly any shedding, great for allergies) - and there are a ton of retired racers in rescue that are in desperate need of homes.

Members online

No members online now.