Soft Crates

leaughxp

I am thinking about getting a soft crate to contain Gunner in the car on rides to the park, vet, etc. We went today and he did good just siting on the seat, he wasn't walking all over, probably because he doesn't really like the car. Anyway I really want him contained especially since he is getting more used to the car and may become more comfortable moving around. I was thinking of getting one of the crates that are fabric/mesh to keep in the car as it's a pain to move his big wire crate everytime we go to the park. Any recommendations positive or negative comments on specific brands? Also any suggestions as far as size? He weighs just over 20 pounds at 4 months old. He's a lab/hound (beagle???? I actually had someone tell me he looked like he had some beagle in him when I just told them he was a lab mix) The shelter said he could reach 60 pounds (the lady made it sound like that would be the max), first visit to vet estimated 70 pounds but I don't think he'll be really big. So do you think 36" is a good size or would I need 42"? I would like to use the crate as his regular crate when he is finnished with the chewing phase (if that ever happens! hehe)
Thanks,
Sara

P.S. Today we had a pretty good day, Gunner didn't attack as much as usual and I was able to stop him sooner! YAY! We walked a mile at the park, fetched some tennis balls in the yard, and had a training session. I think he does better when he has more exercise; I guess we'll just have to run 5 miles everyday! Haha, I'm definitely not a runner. :)

The soft crate is probably a good idea, but I'm going to take this opportunity to mention that you can also get seat belts for your dog. They fit kind of like a halter and buckle into your car's seat belt.

leaughxp

I thought of the seatbelt thing and it might be good when he's older but right now I have a hard time just putting his coller back on since he likes to chew it. Maybe when he's a little calmer and full grown or closer to it I could get one. He does always lay at the end of the crate that's closer to you so it may be a good idea so he can be see me better. My last dog, loved to look out the window but Gunner doesn't seem to have any interest in it.

leaughxp

Has anyone ever used one of these crates? Any brand recommendations?

There is a nice one at Petsmart but all sides have mesh. Then there are the OutwardHound one's that are covered on top and the sides are solid material over the mesh that can be rolled up for more ventilation. There is another crate similar to the OutwardHound on ebay and it has a plastic tray/pan for the bottom which I thought could be helpful.

Also, what is the proper size of crate to get? Sometimes the dog curls up but sometimes he's all spread out so would I get the biggest so he can stretch out when he's grown?

bogolove

Renee750il said:
The soft crate is probably a good idea, but I'm going to take this opportunity to mention that you can also get seat belts for your dog. They fit kind of like a halter and buckle into your car's seat belt.
where can you buy a seatbelt for your dog? Brady needs one, for safety reasons, and he is a slider (I have leather seats in my car, and just doesn't quite get them) ;)

I got Bimmer's at the Agri-Feed and Pet Supply in Knoxville, where I get their food. I'm almost afraid to strap Shiva or Kharma down - they might pull out the entire seat in my poor little car if they decided to lunge! They've actually gotten well-mannered in the car; they both sit in the back seat and the only jockeying for position that really goes on is for who gets to sit behind me and hang over my shoulder until I get aggravated and tell them to mind their manners. :rolleyes: Needless to say, no crate big enough for even one of them would ever FIT in my little car, and we won't even discuss the odds of getting them in a crate in the first place. I might get them in once, since they like to explore in small places (they'll crawl and wriggle their way into just about anything), but once they'd been shut in one time, that would be it. They'd probably destroy the thing before we ever had a chance to use it again!

avenlee

leaughxp said:
I
P.S. Today we had a pretty good day, Gunner didn't attack as much as usual and I was able to stop him sooner! YAY! We walked a mile at the park, fetched some tennis balls in the yard, and had a training session. I think he does better when he has more exercise; I guess we'll just have to run 5 miles everyday! Haha, I'm definitely not a runner. :)

LOL sorry just thought this quote was funny that your not a runner and you named you dog Gunner :D

On the subject, I've seen dog seat belts at my local PetCo store. They are pretty neat!

Members online