Worth it? Nikon D40 Question.

My friend has a Nikon D40 with nice portrait lens for $125. I've used it before it works fine but the flash doesn't work. small crack in body that hadnt affected it at all. this is what she said about the flash "The bulb and housing need to be fixed by housing I mean a tab which holds the flash down Is busted needs a new housing for it most likely". so is it worth the price? still a good deal? i know nothing about these cameras but have always wanted a nikon and need a new camera. a new flash is $120...another question is how much installing it or repair would be. thank you!

Toller_08

I have no idea about that specific problem, but I do know I loved my D40 and miss it. It's a nice camera. And I don't think $125 is too much for a camera plus a lens.

As an aside, somebody else I know had a camera with a broken flash and ended up just getting an external flash for it rather than fixing the built in flash... but that one wasn't due to a crack or anything, so I'm not sure if that'd work for you. Personally, I virtually never use the built in flash for anything anyway so it probably wouldn't bother me if it didn't work. Not sure how much it'd cost for the manufacturer to fix it as different problems seem to cost different amounts.

katielou

Slave to the Aussie
Yeah i don't think i have ever used the built in flash on any of my DSLR cameras.

A good portrait lens should let enough light in for most situations an an external flash can be purchased pretty cheaply.

Toller_08

Thank you! what did you use for lighting to take pictures of your dogs?
Usually just natural light. But if the lighting is no good indoors, then I'll pull out my external flash. The direct flash of a built in flash is just too harsh. I found that I used my external flash much more with my D40 than I do now (with my D90), only because the high ISO performance of the D40 isn't so good and it's a slower camera. But I could still get good indoor pictures without it in the right light.

Not the best example, but the only one I could find of Dance using my built in flash:

My external flash with the D40:

Natural light with the D40 (with my 50mm f1.4 lens):

Here's another example of built in vs. external:

And natural/no flash, but taken with my D90...

Window lighting:

Lamp lighting:

None of those are really favourites or anything, but I thought they might give you an idea as far as comparisons go.

Yeah, I never use my flash. If I'm inside or it's dark I just grab my 50 and try to get as much natural or ambiant light that I can

elegy

overdogged
I have a D60 and I never use my internal flash. The light is just... ugly. I really need an external flash. Someday!

As long as the camera is working well otherwise, I think it'd be a nice opportunity to pick up a decent starter DSLR for a cheap price. What lens would you be getting with it?

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Agreed, go for it! I have the d40 and LOOOVE it. I usually take flashless pictures with mine, anyway. I do use flash when there's not any decent lighting, but like everyone said, the built in flash isn't all that great anyway. I reeeaally want an external flash.

Thanks so much for your help everyone ! And thank you very much for taking the time to post those pictures Toller, they were very helpful. I bought it and decided to buy an external. I got a 50mm 1.8. Discovered I don't even need the built in flash like you guys said! So I will go with buying an external. suggestions for lenses that are great for taking pictures of moving pets? Also any advice on the D40x and external flash suggestions?
Thanks again!

Members online