New here and looking for a dog...

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
I"VE GOT IT! I've got the PERFECT breed of dog for you!!

Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever!!!

They would more then likely be your #1 in my opinion. THey have high energy, they are a "medium" breed, they are VERY smart and they do well in frisbee/playing catch etc.!!

About the breed..
Pictures of the breed (these are just random pics I found ont he net)

B

BlackDog

SummerRiot said:
I"VE GOT IT! I've got the PERFECT breed of dog for you!!

Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever!!!

They would more then likely be your #1 in my opinion. THey have high energy, they are a "medium" breed, they are VERY smart and they do well in frisbee/playing catch etc.!!

About the breed..
Pictures of the breed (these are just random pics I found ont he net)

But a word of warning. Those guys have CRAZY HIGH amounts of ENERGY!

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
lol I'd say no more then a Border Collie though.

I've met a few at the show ring and one through a friend and they are exetremely smart and fabulous companions if you have the time for them.

He said he wouldn't mind a high energy dog ;)

Athebeau

Quote by BlackDog But a word of warning. Those guys have CRAZY HIGH amounts of ENERGY!
So true, I couldn't agree with you more:) We had quite a few NSDTR's come in due to SPCA confiscation. Many of our clients took them and a few I believe are just over whelmed by the hyper active ways of this breed.:) And these were previous Border Collie owners. That was the only homes they were allowed to go to, were people who understood the high level of energy.

They are quite popular in my area. Great for agility, flyball etc.

B

BlackDog

SummerRiot said:
lol I'd say no more then a Border Collie though.

I've met a few at the show ring and one through a friend and they are exetremely smart and fabulous companions if you have the time for them.

He said he wouldn't mind a high energy dog ;)
I don't know about that.....

I mean, I didn't even think the BC was a good idea because of their energy level so...
But hey, if he thinks he wants one he should go to acople dog shows and meet them in person. Get a autograph...J/K! LOL!

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Its also all in how you work your dog..

Obviously those people who had to give them up didn't have enough time to offer the dog. Which is too bad for the dog.

he says he wants a high energy dog, he says that hes got lots of time to spend with the dog. So.. i woudlnt' see a problem for him in this breed, but yes your right, in order for him to make an educated guess he'd need to get out on the show scene and see what the breed is really like. You can't really take from what people say fully.

B

BlackDog

SummerRiot said:
Its also all in how you work your dog..

Obviously those people who had to give them up didn't have enough time to offer the dog. Which is too bad for the dog.

he says he wants a high energy dog, he says that hes got lots of time to spend with the dog. So.. i woudlnt' see a problem for him in this breed, but yes your right, in order for him to make an educated guess he'd need to get out on the show scene and see what the breed is really like. You can't really take from what people say fully.
I'm just playing it on the cautious side for his sake and the dog's. He said he's been out of the dog world for acople years. Going from nothing to a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever is alot. It's not just a step. Its a running, a jump, and slash into the pool of the k-9 world.

yoko

try a shelter or a rescue. i've been helping a couple of friends look for dogs and we've been visiting shelters all around the state and there's dogs in every one of them that are great with frisbees and would be able to keep up with you in hiking or whatever you'd like to do. most of the shelters around here have a 'back yard' or a fenced area in the back you can take the dog too. take along a tennis ball/frisbee and she how the dog does when you play with it. a lot of the dogs that my friends ended up with were just so starved for attention that when they were finally adopted they'd stay pretty close to whoever adopted them. granted in a new place they'd wander a bit but they always came back.

i got yoshi *she's a terrier mix* from the pound and she rocks at fetch . but other than the dog you have to remember that they'll only become a perfect companion if you put as much positive time into them as you can

Julie

I am back again.
Here is a link......

It says dogs really shouldn't be jumping before at least 14 months.
And some of the best frisbee dogs are mixed shelter dogs.

I think it would be a good idea to visit some shelters and look at mixes that are old enough to play already.:D

I am sure there are ways to determine if a dog would be good at the sport before you would adopt.

http://www.bestfriendspetcare.com/bf_training_17.cfm

Best wishes,
Julie.

Last edited:

BostonBanker

Keep in mind, you can teach pretty much any dog (who is a full grown adult and physically fit) to jump and catch a frisbee. This is my zero-toy-drive, couldn't care less about fetching anything Cur after about three training sessions with the frisbee:

Actually, she's darn close to most of your requirements. With your schedule, I'd really think about looking for a young adult dog who is in a good rescue, and just staying open on breed/s. They can give you a clear idea of the dog's temperament, energy level, and toy drive, and you won't have to worry about getting home every couple of hours on work days to let the dog out.

The majority of Aussies I've met are actually larger than border collies, as a side note.

What about an Australian Shepherd or an Australian Cattle Dog? Would either of those meet my needs?
Both those breeds are the same size or larger than a BC.

I would cross ACD's off your list. They fit the bill for what you are looking for, but if you are just casually looking for a breed, they are not it. Cattle dogs are too much dog for most people, they are awesome in the right hands, but would never just offhandedly suggest one to anyone.

What I tell people is, they are a love 'em or leave 'em breed and if you don't just LOVE them, you might as well leave 'em.

Members online

No members online now.