Breed suggestions

BlackDog

My hubby and I have a 2.5 month old son. We rent a trailer with a average size yard. There are no breed restrictions. We live in a VERY rural area. I would prefer the dog be very good with other dogs, because some day I want to own more than one, must be good with other animals, I plan to own other small animals in the future. Grooming needs doesn't matter, hair length doesn't matter, shedding doesn't matter, size doesn't matter, energy level needs to be medium to low. Must be wonderful with kids! Must not be yappy. My husband HATES yappy dogs.

MUST BE EASY TO POTTY TRAIN!

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
Have you considered adopting a late to senior aged dog? Since size, hair length, etc don't matter and energy level does maybe an already house broken older dog who you know loves kids would be the way to go?

The downside of course is limited years and possible health issues, the upside is you will have a good idea of what you're getting into, the dog possibly already trained, and you'll be helping out a dog in need.

Sources for older dogs can be:
Retired breeding dogs from breeders - often these dogs are fully health tested and some are even titled.
Rescues
Shelters

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I'd say look for a 5-7 year old Lab. You'll have a good idea of temperament, that age is typically over the crazy puppy energy and teenage rebellion phase so you'll be more able to enjoy the dog right off, that age should be potty trained as well. A lot of people give up these types of dogs because they don't realize that they shed, or they get big or they're moving/having a baby/etc. Fabulous dogs, really.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I'd say look for a 5-7 year old Lab. You'll have a good idea of temperament, that age is typically over the crazy puppy energy and teenage rebellion phase so you'll be more able to enjoy the dog right off, that age should be potty trained as well. A lot of people give up these types of dogs because they don't realize that they shed, or they get big or they're moving/having a baby/etc. Fabulous dogs, really.
I agree. Even a younger Lab (2-3 years) would work, if it had the right temperament.

Lab puppies are insane and a lot of work, but they mature into GREAT dogs. Getting an adult lab through a rescue that knows its temperament and such would be a wonderful place to start.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
My first thought was a golden retriever. Labs are great too though, I grew up with a lab, she was my first dog, and she was amazing.

Saeleofu

Depends on what you consider yappy. Does that mean just small dogs that bark at everything? Or barking in general? Aside from barking a collie, especially an older collie, could be a good fit. Regardless of breed if you want low energy I'd go with an adult. Puppies will be puppies. At the very least if you get an adult (2-3+ yrs) you will know their energy level to begin with.

Members online

No members online now.