Guinea Pigs

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
What can yall tell me about them?
I've really became amazed by these little fellas and I'm looking at getting one (probably not til I come back from Germany in Decemeber).

Tell me anything and everything about them. :popcorn:

Zoom

Twin 2.0
They're cute and funny and kind of smelly. They make all sorts of chirrups, squeaks and whistles, which are hilarious and cute until it's 2:30am and you have to be awake in 3 hours. I had a black and white I named Enzo and he was adorable, though I think I really preferred my rats over a piggie.

2pups622

Soon to Be 4 Pups!!
They are a lot more work then people think. They should be in pair's, They need a large cage preferably a C&C cage.
Guinea Pig Cages

a variety of Fresh veggie's daily (a cup).
Unlimited hay.
Plus Floor time.
Vet care is expensive since they have to see an exotic's vet Just the exam fee is Over $50 in most places.

I use fleece & towel's for there bedding which is alot better for them.

If you can get past all of that & still want one there great pet's. They are hilarious to watch run around.
My Girl's.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
Awww your a cute, 2pups622.

I'm use to the weird noises and waking up at 2:30am, we have neighbors lol.

How trainable are they? I've read that they can be harnessed trained and such.

2pups622

Soon to Be 4 Pups!!
NO harnesses or leashes or Hamster ball's, All very bad for them They can get seriously injured.
They need free run or playpen run's on the floor.

2pups622

Soon to Be 4 Pups!!
Oh just wanted to add My Girl's sleep threw the night. If you have them in used area they get use to your schedule & will be up all day & sleep all night.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
Thanks for clearing up the harness thing. :)

Where did you get your piggies from?

CaliTerp07

I had a half dozen guinea pigs growing up. They make great little pets! Their lifespan is quite a bit longer than rats and hamsters (mine lived ~7 years--a guess, since they were all shelter piggies)

2pups622 is right, they are social critters. Females usually get along with other females--2 males rarely do. You can get them fixed to have a m/f pair, but the surgery can be dangerous on the little guys, especially if you don't have a really experienced vet. We mostly had boy piggies, so we'd set their exercise pens up near enough to each other that they could chatter through the fence.

Our piggies went out to exercise each morning. We'd set up show pens in the grass, covered by a sheet, and they'd run around during the day. At night, they'd come into their cage. They need about the same amount of space as rabbits, so it's a fairly large cage. Their feet are super small, so you don't want them on wire bottomed cages. Look for the kind where the bottom is solid, to fill with shavings or hay.

They are smart little critters, but I wouldn't call them trainable, really. Mine learned really quick that when they heard the fridge opening, it often meant food, and they'd start the squeaking chorus! Their biggest accomplishment though, was just being a lap pet. We'd hold them at night while we were watching TV, or have them on our laps while doing homework. Most were content to snuggle up under a blankie, though a few were too squirmy to ever hold still!

A few of the many piggies to come through my house!

Travis

Rusty (and two of his less chattery buddies!)

Squeaky Pete, destroying a Lego castle

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
Cali- Thanks! Your piggies are adorable.

I was looking into rescuing one, but Im not sure if we have them in shelters around here, I've never seen them. I know Petsmart/Petco has them but I wouldn't know much about how they treat theirs so I'd be hestiate to get one from there.
I'm really fond of the brown and white GPs.
Just to throw this in here, I use to own a rabbit a couple years ago and had him for 5 years before he died. *RIP Gus*.

CaliTerp07

Have you checked petfinder or craigslist? We even have a local rescue group that is specific to guinea pigs!

I'd stay away from petstores--"Guinea pig mills" are as real as puppy mills, believe it or not :(

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
check craigslist and stuff. because of g-force (the new guinea pig movie) a lot of people went out and bought them on a whim and now they are looking for homes

2pups622

Soon to Be 4 Pups!!
I would check craiglist, Petfinder & google Guinea pig rescue in ____.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
Have you checked petfinder or craigslist? We even have a local rescue group that is specific to guinea pigs!

I'd stay away from petstores--"Guinea pig mills" are as real as puppy mills, believe it or not :(
No I havent checked them places. But I can't believe there are Guinea Pig mills, thats so sad. :(

check craigslist and stuff. because of g-force (the new guinea pig movie) a lot of people went out and bought them on a whim and now they are looking for homes
Wow, I could believe that though. Its sad.

I would check craiglist, Petfinder & google Guinea pig rescue in ____.

Amber

I got my two from the animal shelter. Somebody had seriously not been nice to them. They were six months old and overweight, with swollen red feet from their previous owners keeping them in a small wire floored cage. They were incredibly hand shy, and for some reason, somebody, probably a little kid, had painted their overgrown nails.
They've been with us for almost two years, and they live in a 2 grid x 4 grid C&C cage.

Guinea Pigs need unlimited Timothy hay, and quality pellets. They can choke on corn and seeds. They also need semi-annual to annunal check ups at an exotic vet, and should be spayed/neutered asap, as females can develop cancer if not spayed. My pigs get daily salads of carrots, lettuce, and sometimes other veggies. Guinea pigs need alot of Vitamin C, but some pig rescues discourage putting drops in their water, because it may discourage them from drinking.

Like someone else said, DO NOT put them in a harness, ball, or wheel. It can cause serious back damage, seeing as their legs are so small, their backs aren't very flexible.

Don't buy a guinea pig from a petstore. They come from disgusting conditions, and may have illnesses or mental issues. I don't know if I've forgotten anything. I hope I haven't discouraged you in any way from adopting a guinea pig. They're great pets, but also need proper care.

2pups622

Soon to Be 4 Pups!!
I got my two from the animal shelter. Somebody had seriously not been nice to them. They were six months old and overweight, with swollen red feet from their previous owners keeping them in a small wire floored cage. They were incredibly hand shy, and for some reason, somebody, probably a little kid, had painted their overgrown nails.
They've been with us for almost two years, and they live in a 2 grid x 4 grid C&C cage.

Guinea Pigs need unlimited Timothy hay, and quality pellets. They can choke on corn and seeds. They also need semi-annual to annunal check ups at an exotic vet, and should be spayed/neutered asap, as females can develop cancer if not spayed. My pigs get daily salads of carrots, lettuce, and sometimes other veggies. Guinea pigs need alot of Vitamin C, but some pig rescues discourage putting drops in their water, because it may discourage them from drinking.

Like someone else said, DO NOT put them in a harness, ball, or wheel. It can cause serious back damage, seeing as their legs are so small, their backs aren't very flexible.

Don't buy a guinea pig from a petstore. They come from disgusting conditions, and may have illnesses or mental issues. I don't know if I've forgotten anything. I hope I haven't discouraged you in any way from adopting a guinea pig. They're great pets, but also need proper care.

I Have to disagree about the spaying & neutering It should not be done unless 100% the last resort to a health problem Or a Male going in with female's. It is a very dangerous Procedure Especially for females.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR

I'm probably going through a rescue to get mine, when that time comes.
There is a rescue here in Georgia and one in Tennessee that I like. :)

Members online

No members online now.