What makes a backyard breeder?

mrose_s

BusterLove
yuckaduck said:
Backyard breeders-probably love the dogs but again it is all about the money. They usually show abit more concern about what they are breeding, often no health checks are done on the parents and usually no guarantees are given or rediculous guarantees. They often breed mutts but not always. They often are more interested in lining their pockets than the dogs. No contracts, no questionnaires, no follow ups...
ok, not disagreeign, just like to add my bit.
ok, so i am guilty, my family has bred our dog before, but it was NOT for the money, we sold the pups for $50 because that is what we bought Martha for. Also, we did follow up the pups, my mother knew who had bought them and we did see the puppies as dogs, it was great for my sister and I as we learned a LOT about young puppy care at only about 6 and 8.
We were careful all the puppies went to good homes.

I just wanted to say, not all bakyard breeders are trying for the money, we did it beacause we wanted to cary on Martha's line and because we think every dog hould have puppies. We were going to let Sophie have pups because we wanted another Sophie, another lovely girl to keep forever.

thabks for reading

Y

yuckaduck

mrose_s said:
ok, so i am guilty, my family has bred our dog before, but it was NOT for the money, we sold the pups for $50 because that is what we bought Martha for. Also, we did follow up the pups, my mother knew who had bought them and we did see the puppies as dogs, it was great for my sister and I as we learned a LOT about young puppy care at only about 6 and 8.

I just wanted to say, not all bakyard breeders are trying for the money, we did it beacause we wanted to cary on Martha's line and because we think every dog hould have puppies. We were going to let Sophie have pups because we wanted another Sophie, another lovely girl to keep forever.

thabks for reading
Every dog should have puppies? Is that what you are saying? Well not going to argue with you but I strongly disagree with that. A female dog is not abused or lacking if they do not have puppies. Personally I think anyone breeding mutts for any reason is adding to the unwanted mutt population out there. I will simply agree to disagree with you because we just have a different opinion here. I certainly can understand wanting to keep a part of a beloved pet alive.

Since I have been trying to rescue a purebreed gsd and I see the gasing that takes place with these wonderful dogs; I just can't understand why someone would want to breed mutts and add to that.

Well i dont think I can add anything, you all have said it all, i agree with most on here, but the bit every dog should have puppys? Please explain????

showpug

mrose_s said:

thabks for reading
Woa, woa, woa....... :eek:

Hate to break the news to ya, but you won't get another Sophie! Sophie is Sophie and she's unique, her puppy may vary greatly in personality and temperment AND looks!

Every dog should be bred? :confused: Boy, I wonder what the shelters would look like if this took place....so sad :(

Y

yuckaduck

showpug said:
Woa, woa, woa....... :eek:

Hate to break the news to ya, but you won't get another Sophie! Sophie is Sophie and she's unique, her puppy may vary greatly in personality and temperment AND looks!

Every dog should be bred? :confused: Boy, I wonder what the shelters would look like if this took place....so sad :(

That was my exact feelings but I was trying to be polite in my wording. Poor dogs unwanted and being gased and PTS in shelters and why? Because every dog should have puppies.

panzer426

many backyard breeders do it for just that reason. they are not looking for a profit or get rich quick scheme. they do it because they are horribly misguided and think that every female should have a litter before being spayed. they think that their dog is perfect in every way and the epitome of what its breed should be. of course we all love our dogs, but that is not justification to breed. or they think that everyone would like a dog just like fluffy. well, the pups will not be just like fluffy, their is no reason to believe that every bitch needs to have (or benifits in the slightest from) atleast on litter before being spayed.
there are so many things you have to do to prove a dog is qualified for breeding. dozens of health and temperament tests at least, tons of vet bills during pregnancy and birthing not to mention while the pups are growing. then theres the chance of losing the bitch because of complications, and the entire litter. garauntees on the puppies. finding good homes and interviewing the potential buyers. contracts with the buyers. you must be able to, and demand that if the buyer for any reason cannot keep the puppy YOU will take it back, no matter what the reason or age of the dog.
anyone who does not do any AND all of those is a back yard breeder. they, in my opinion, should also have titles on both of the parents. I dont mind if the breeder owns both the stud and the bitch as long as there is a good reason why they chose that match, rather than another stud.
a puppy mill is someone who breeds for profit with no care what so ever as to the conditions of the dogs. they dont test the parents, they dont properly care for the parents, all the dogs are kept in horrible conditions, and most of the time they sell to pet stores.

A friend of my mums has just bred her boxer, she said she was worried about her the whole time, and she does care for her well, but she said that she is going to bred her Boxer to a ridgeback next time coz her dog is in love with him! :mad: (Bash's head on PC)

Fran27

mrose_s said:

thabks for reading

I totally agree with showpugs. Heck, even if you CLONED your dog, it wouldn't be the same dog, because their character depends on their experiences (like us). Every dog should have puppies? Get real, and open your eyes and go look at petfinder to see how happy those dogs are that their parent owners bred them :mad:

Meggie

Gallien Jacks said:
A friend of my mums has just bred her boxer, she said she was worried about her the whole time, and she does care for her well, but she said that she is going to bred her Boxer to a ridgeback next time coz her dog is in love with him! :mad: (Bash's head on PC)
Well, transfering that rationale to humans, I really need to get in touch with Mel Gibson.

Good grief, has your mom's friend never heard of the concept of instinct? Her Boxer's going to be "in love" a lot, doesn't mean they NEED to have puppies to be fulfilled in life.

Breeding a dog for the fun of it, or because they "need" to have a litter is SO not a good idea.

My dog had a passionate love affair going with one of my daughter's Beanie Babies before he was neutered. He still likes her as a friend, but the passion's gone out of the relationship.

nedim

Meggie said:
Well, transfering that rationale to humans, I really need to get in touch with Mel Gibson.

Good grief, has your mom's friend never heard of the concept of instinct? Her Boxer's going to be "in love" a lot, doesn't mean they NEED to have puppies to be fulfilled in life.

Breeding a dog for the fun of it, or because they "need" to have a litter is SO not a good idea.

My dog had a passionate love affair going with one of my daughter's Beanie Babies before he was neutered. He still likes her as a friend, but the passion's gone out of the relationship.
That last part made me smile.

Ash47

Taco Dog
I wish people would think about it like this...

My mom did not "breed" with my dad so that she could have another just like her or just like my dad. I may sometimes resemble their attitudes or antics, but I am me. I am my own. I am unique from my brother and sister. They are not identical to our parents either. It doesn't work that way. That is a naive statement to say that the puppy would be "another Sophie." It doesn't work like that with people, nor does it work that way with dogs.

When I have a child, I do not expect it to be another me. It will be a little similar to my husband and I, but it's temperament will be it's own. m_rose, are you EXACTLY like your mother? EXACTLY like your father?? No, everyone and everything is different.

Richie12345

lol, I love how you switched personality with temperament when you were talking about a child, lol

Ash47

Taco Dog
LOL Richie, I know. I am so used to being around dogs, talking to dogs, etc. I noticed that after I typed it.

bollywood

I do not think it is right to lump everyone into 1 of 3 catagories.

Puppy mills are the horrible ones. Bad living conditions. Dirty. Kept in cages 24/7. No exercise. No socialization. No heat or cooling. Overcrowding.

BYB. Now there are many ranges for BYB's. This is what is so upsetting. This catagory is large. People need to realize there are ones pretty close to puppy mills all the way to breeders close to being "responsible" breeders.

Responsible breeders. They show. Test. "Don't do it for money". They are often radical. Have firm beliefs about breeding dogs and how it is to be done. No tolerance. There way or the highway. They are very serious.

Y

yuckaduck

bollywood said:
I do not think it is right to lump everyone into 1 of 3 catagories.

Puppy mills are the horrible ones. Bad living conditions. Dirty. Kept in cages 24/7. No exercise. No socialization. No heat or cooling. Overcrowding.

BYB. Now there are many ranges for BYB's. This is what is so upsetting. This catagory is large. People need to realize there are ones pretty close to puppy mills all the way to breeders close to being "responsible" breeders.

Responsible breeders. They show. Test. "Don't do it for money". They are often radical. Have firm beliefs about breeding dogs and how it is to be done. No tolerance. There way or the highway. They are very serious.

No one in it for the money and who does not show the tests and readily is responsible. BYB are just as bad as puppymills, for filling the local shelters and the gas chambers. Close to a responsible breeder is not a responsible breeder and not GOOD ENOUGH.

bollywood

I wrote: "Have firm beliefs about breeding dogs and how it is to be done. No tolerance. There way or the highway. They are very serious."

Your response is typical. I have in my contract that they cannot take the dog I sold them to rescue or shelter. It must be returned to me. Unconditionally. They sign their name to that. I keep in touch with those that buy from me. They send me pics. They are not in shelters.

BYB's vary no matter what you say. I don't care if thousands agree with you. I know not all are bad. It is too easy to lump BYB's all together. I believe they have to be looked at individually.

Just like you find any person that does not fit into the "responsible" breeder catagory bad, I find "responsible" breeders to be unlikeable. They are rude, self righteous, snobby, full of themselves, intolerant, unreasonable, so on and so on.

Boxer*Mom

It wasn't me
bollywood said:
I know not all are bad. It is too easy to lump BYB's all together. I believe they have to be looked at individually.

Just like you find any person that does not fit into the "responsible" breeder catagory bad, I find "responsible" breeders to be unlikeable. They are rude, self righteous, snobby, full of themselves, intolerant, unreasonable, so on and so on.
Shouldn't responsible breeders be given the same slack you give to backyard breeders? Looked at individually, instead of summimg up all of them to be snobby extremists.

Y

yuckaduck

bollywood said:
I wrote: "Have firm beliefs about breeding dogs and how it is to be done. No tolerance. There way or the highway. They are very serious."

Your response is typical. I have in my contract that they cannot take the dog I sold them to rescue or shelter. It must be returned to me. Unconditionally. They sign their name to that. I keep in touch with those that buy from me. They send me pics. They are not in shelters.

BYB's vary no matter what you say. I don't care if thousands agree with you. I know not all are bad. It is too easy to lump BYB's all together. I believe they have to be looked at individually.

B0y you sound just like someone else I know! Hm Wondering if you are.........

Members online

No members online now.