Roni26

Hello everybody:)
I am new here
I have 12 month old GSD and he pulls me so strong all the time
I think collar puts too much preasure on my baby
Would harness help better?
I saw some nice harnesses at www.fordogtrainers.com
Anyone ever bought from this site?
Should I consider harness in stead of collar at all?;)
Please help
Thank you so much
Dan

Katja

Hi!

I have more or less the same problem with my terv.. when doing obedience he is perfect but in every day life.. not so perfect.. :)

Harness won´t stop pulling.. but I found one thing that works.. Here in europe is called HALTI.. here is a pic of it:
http://www.doctordog.com/merchant2/...HCAPM&Product_Code=B4-8278&Category_Code=DHRN
This helps from pulling since dogs head is turned automaticly if he tryes to pull.. works on a lot of dogs.. maybe it wouldnt be bad if you tryed.

Bye, Katja

I would be using a chain choke collar (NOT a prong collar)
very important to put on the right way also - pic att:

obedience classes would help also

Debi

I used the choke collar in the way GSDMom instructed...worked like a charm. I'd never use the prong collar, there's no need for it. just because you dog is feeling pain doesn't mean it's being trained. some people don't like choke collars, but the dog senses immediately not to pull. BUT...do a search because there has been excellent advice for leash control posted prior. I would also just stop when my dogs started to pull, then would start again when they stopped. (I don't have to use a choke collar anymore...I only used it briefly) :)

M

Mishel

Hi there
i have a harness and i like how my German Shepherd looks in it
i never had problem with pulling so i am not sure how it helps
thank you for the link anyway - looks like nice stuff
i'll ask my trainer about pulling problem
good luck

fillyone

But please, call me Barb
Debi said:
..snip......but the dog senses immediately not to pull....snip.....
So why do you see dogs pulling and choking while on a choke collar?

Training and lots of it is the real answer, and finding what works best for your dog.

on the choke collar
Halties or Gentle Leaders can work great but don't let the dog have too much leash, they can damage the neck if the dog hits the end of a leash going very fast.
Pinch or Prong collars can work great but use caution if using with a long line since they might get a correction when they shouldn't.

Debi

obviously I meant that I used the choke collar with training....sorry it wasn't clear. :)

You can use a training tool like a choke collar, prong collar, gentle leader, halti, or no pull harness. But most likely your dog will still pull if you try to walk him in just a regular collar or harness. I have nothing against these, I have a choker and a gentle leader.

This is how I taught one of my dogs to walk on a loose leash. Grab a handful of treats and stuff them in your pocket. Put the dog on his leash, and start walking. If he pulls, immediately stop and say "No pulling!" wait until the dog comes towards you, loosening the leash. When the leash is loose, start walking. It's important to be consistent - ALWAYS stop when the dog pulls.

Reward loose leash walking. If there is no pulling, reward your dog with a treat so that he realizes walking on a loose leash = treat, pulling = no more walking.

RD

Are you dead yet?
How about just some good old training and rewards to teach the dog to stay close to you? You don't have to immediately jump to training collars to solve your problem. With a lot of dogs, simply rewarding the behavior of staying close to you and watching you is enough to keep their leash manners good.

Oh, and I would never EVER use a choke collar on a puller. EVER. The chance of the dog doing lasting damage to its neck is too great for me to want to risk it. I'd use a pinch collar, nothing else.

I use a gentle leader for Dakota when we are in close quarters with other people. It gives him the extra bit of direction he needs. I would never use a halti or GL on a dog that regularly runs out and hits the end of the leash. Again, severe neck damage can be the result. I would imagine if a dog RAN to the end of the leash and hit it, their neck could snap. If you keep them on a rather short lead and don't allow them to lunge forward, I consider it to be quite safe provided that you have been shown the correct way to use it.

Do try training and reinforcement of good behavior before you go on to use a training collar!

Becca_

chowchow
I've tried nearly everything with Princess, queen of pulling. Finally I got a (not sure what its called exactly) front lead halter. From the first time I used that she no longer pulled. I now can walk both my dogs at the same time, and have even taken Kokomo with us on walks with no struggle.

DanL

GSDMom said:
the prong collar is an instrument of torture
JMHO
A choke collar is an instrument of torture JMHO. Do some research- see how many dogs get throat problems or other injury from a choker vs how many dogs have physical injury from a prong. A prong only closes so far, a choker will keep closing. Put a prong on your leg or arm and pull it and see for yourself, it's hardly torture. It pinches, it does not choke the dog.

I also agree on the comments on the halti. If a dog sees a cat or squirrel or other prey item and lunges for it, you can do some severe damage to their necks if their head snaps around to the side fast and hard.

kelbel

DanL said:
A choke collar is an instrument of torture JMHO. Do some research- see how many dogs get throat problems or other injury from a choker vs how many dogs have physical injury from a prong. A prong only closes so far, a choker will keep closing. Put a prong on your leg or arm and pull it and see for yourself, it's hardly torture. It pinches, it does not choke the dog.

I also agree on the comments on the halti. If a dog sees a cat or squirrel or other prey item and lunges for it, you can do some severe damage to their necks if their head snaps around to the side fast and hard.

I agree with DanL completely. I have used prongs on all three of my dogs. They are much more humane than chokers especially for pullers. Like Dan said, they don't choke the dog, they just pinch him. IMHO it's better to train them not to pull with a regular buckle collar on by simply stopping when they pull and walking when the leash is loose. It's very hard to do when you're walking three dogs though.
As for harnesses (what the op asked about) I have never used one. I believe yuckaduck uses some sort of no pull harness on her GDSs. She posted pictures once. Try pming her.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
there's a really neat new book out specifically about training dogs to walk nicely on a loose leash. i don't really have a need for it anymore personally, but i bought it because i really, really like the training philosophies of the author (turid rugaas) and want to keep up with her training materials.

the book is called "My Dog Pulls. What Do I Do?" (ISBN 1929242239) and it's only around $9. it's a short, easy read (65 pages or so) but illustrated with lots of photos that explain her training technique.

DanL said:

Dan I agree a choke collar COULD be an instrument of torture if not worn or used properly

we are both entitled to our own opinions

Last edited:

Debi

again agreeing with GSDMom, a choke collar could be horrible if not used with maximum care. when I said I used it..ALONG with training...it was always with extreme caution. I'd never let my dog lunge, choke horribly, or chance hurting their neck in any way! (I don't think I was very clear about that) BUT, as a mere tool....all I'm saying is it helped. I followed leash guidance..the choke collar was used only as an extra (IF needed). Ham learned immediately that he didn't like to pull. Addie still has pulling issues..SO, I do not use the choke collar on her. (I think it's her husky coming out..she sure would be great if I were on a sleigh) it is again...all about YOUR dog. I can't help that I think prong collars look too harsh...I just can't believe it's a mere 'pinch' the dog receives. JUST opinion....we always can agree to disagree. :) OH...when you see Ham's pic, yes...he still wears the chain choke collar...but it's because he likes the look of it. I was amazed how quickly it wasn't needed at all. :) (hey....you know how some guys like that chain dangling around their neck..lookin tuff) LOL

LOL Debi, I wear a Gold plated choke on Minka, i bought it for her when she got her Championship title - it's her jewelry
she barley ever gets put on leash anyway and if so is on dead ring
Dion has a bigger chain, fur saver one he thinks he looks pretty studly in it ;)

Members online

No members online now.