Barking at the horses

mrose_s

BusterLove
Quinn's progressing fantasticly with everything I've asked of her but there is one issue I wanted to ask about before it became a problem.

She was nervous of the horses the first time she saw them, understandbly, they're huge and she was tiny. We let them have free roam of the paddocks during the day and the house is right up again st the back fence where they have access to, most of the day they are down the back but whenever they pass the yard Quinn starts barking at them because she's nervous. Except sometimes she'll run up onto the verendah and bark from there. They don't always have to be near the fence. Malibu started a gallop halfway don the paddocks the other day and that set Quinn off, othertimes she'll just notice they've moved up towards the fence and start at that.

I take her out for walks everyday with Buster, he's great with the horses and the horses are generally good with the dogs (except Malibu will chase them for fun so I've been watching her carefully because I don't want Quinn getting caught under her)

I've taken her out on leash a couple of times just to practice some tricks in their general vicinity with lots of treat, should I continue with this?
Any other ideas?

Taqroy

Maybe play look at that? That game did wonders for Mu's reactivity to other dogs on walks.

Doberluv

Maybe play look at that? That game did wonders for Mu's reactivity to other dogs on walks.

Yes! That is good! Keep pairing good things with the presence of the horses. Try doing this at a distance where Quinn is less reactive. Another thing you could try is: If the horses are pretty bomb proof and un-bothered by the dog...if they're use to having dogs around, you could get someone to take the horse for a walk with you...just leading (not riding) the horse and you walking Quinn several feet away for safety, but going the same direction. Sometimes it helps dogs to join in on a walk with the animal they're reactive toward. They have something to keep their mind on...walking, sniffing a clump of grass, marking....whatever and they just get use to the horse walking along too....as long as the horse is not reactive or unsafe around the dog, even if the dog barks, you could do this once a day or so.

My horses got very use to my Lab. Of course, she didn't bark at them. LOL. Bonnie accompanied me on my rides with the horses, as well as the neighbor's dog....and each species was completely comfortable with the other. In fact, when I'd be getting one horse ready for a ride, Bonnie would come up and give her a kiss and kind of jump up a little bit in her enthusiasm for going on a ride/walk... and the horse would bend down and sniff and be affectionate to Bonnie. Bonnie was not a very young puppy when I got these horses. I think she was a couple years old. (can't remember exactly) But somehow, she was just a laid back, anything goes kind of dog. They're all different. With Lyric, I didn't have the horses and when I took him near some behind a fence, he barked at first, but it didn't take long for him to get use to them and simmer down. Dog to dog reactivity with him was another story. LOL. That took longer to work through and get more managable.

So, yeah....keep the treats coming. Use distance to keep the triggers more mild and work your way up. Try, if safe, to take a walk together, but with a fair amount of distance between. Keep the treats coming then too.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Pairing it with treats is great. Try to keep enough distance that she's just under her threshold and also don't worry about asking her for tricks, just stuff her with treats.

mrose_s

BusterLove
Okay, I'll start working on it today. Both Horses are great, Lucy is terrific but she's in her 20's and had a lot to dow with dogs.
Malibu isn't mean but you do have to watch her a bit, she's made a game out of chasing the dogs, Harry is scared of her. Buster is amazing with them, considering the first horses he met years ago he wanted to chase we were really nervous about moving him in here. Turns out he knows they are "his" horses and hasn't ever looked twice at them even when they gallop right past him.
Thing is he's a bit too complacent, I have to keep an eye on him walking around they're feet because he doesn't know to watch for their hooves yet.

Both horses like getting out for a walk so thats not a bad idea either.

Members online

No members online now.