how did you get your dog to run next to the bike ?

I have never biked with my dogs ( mostly cuz my bike was stolen 2 years ago *S* ) anyways.. so i´m thinking of starting.. the prob is my oldest who is at the age where it´s safe to start.. the problem is i have enough problems getting him to act well, walking like a normal dog on a leash, i´m really struggeling :(

is it even possible to start biking before he´s got the art of just walking down ??
and if so how do i do this ..
he doest run after ppl , cars , birds or bikes

Heeelp :confused: Maria

There;re some specific equipment helping you with that.
For me... I'll just put in practice mode (your bikes goes very slow) and keep the lead attahed to your right wrist... try to have your dog keep to the right all of the time. And walk it on a specific pathway (the pavement is the best choice!) so it can memorize it and from now on it can stick to that rather than stop, try to run into others property...

Oh I forgot...
is it even possible to start biking before he´s got the art of just walking down ??
and if so how do i do this ..
You can start off by NOT getting on the bike... walk the bike with you and your dog... that makes your dog familiar with following a bike side by side.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
if your dog has no problems walking on a loose leash, applying it to the bike isn't difficult. most dogs get really ecstatic when they find out that for once they can walk at a speed that is more natural to them than walking with a human at the "pace of death".

one thing i do not recommend however, is attaching the dog's leash in any way to your wrist, arm or body - that's not safe and just an accident waiting to happen.

see also this thread:
http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12446

Last edited:

Mordy

Quigleyfied
lol of course you are right. :D

i copied the link from the wrong browser tab. :eek:

if i decide to start biking with him i´m planning on getting a springer..
but i´m not so sure it´s a good idea to do so before he can walk on a leash without acting like he´s in a wightpulling contest lol
he is getting better but it´s taking it´s sweet time..

Members online

No members online now.