Anyone tried this "Peticure" for nails?

Sher

Designed for Love
Saw this advertised on tv and wondered if anyone has it, tried it or knows anything good or bad about it? Sure seems better/easier/safer than trying to cut my dogs nails. Anyone see the commercial for this?

http://www.peticure.com/

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
If you google, you'll find some reviews. Most of the reviews say to not even bother with it.

DanL

I know someone who got one. She said if your dog has "talons" it's no good, but if you have a professional manicure done, it's good for maintaining. I can't see it working on Daisy or Gunnar, they have nails that are like railroad spikes.

Gack...I just about came out of my skin watching their little demo video clips of dogs who were sensitive to clipping.:yikes:

I'd find the hidden grinder harder to guage as far as safety goes compared to the regular dremel. Being able to see the end of the nail is the best way to determine where the quick is as you dremel, I wouldn't think that that gizmo is very safe.

IcyHound

Many dogs tolerate the dremel more then the clipper. It is all a matter of training. I stopped using clippers years ago.

xpaeanx

My dog is ok with the clipper as long as I have someone else distract her by petting her. So, I was thinking about getting the dremel because it's filling...which I figured would be less... stressful? But, does the noise bother them?

corgi_love

My dog is ok with the clipper as long as I have someone else distract her by petting her. So, I was thinking about getting the dremel because it's filling...which I figured would be less... stressful? But, does the noise bother them?
If your going to buy a dremel, spend good money on one that doesn't make a whole lot of noise. Regis cries at the noise of the dremel, I can't even get it close to him without him shaking like crazy.

On top of that, it wastes 4 batteries like they are nothing. I'd suggest getting some rechargable batteries so at least you won't have to constantly be buying new batteries.

I read some reviews on Peticure and all weren't good. If you already have a dremel, they just send you the cover. So it's not really some great invention from my understanding. A friend just ordered one, so I'll see what she thinks of it when she gets it.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I bought a cordless dremel that runs at a lower speed than my regular one, and MUCH prefer it when it goes to dremelling nails. Mine doesn't use regular batteries, it has a battery that you need to charge up, much like any other cordless power tools. I think it's called the MiniMite or something like that... it's quieter because it spins at a lower speed, so it's more of a low hum.
And also, because I'm a huge klutz - if I knick myself while I'm using it, it does very little damage to me. =P

I know some people use the "stylus" dremel, but I got a really good deal on the MiniMite so I bought that one instead. I'm not sure what speed it runs at compared to the stylus dremel...

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
I bought a rechargable one at Walmart--maybe 15 dollars--has variable speed. Baxter was very sensitive to using clippers--he even tried to nip me several times. He doesn't love the dremel, but he tolerates it.
Wilson wouldn't let me anywhere near his nails---but with some conditioning to the sound of the dremel (positive reinforcement with treats)--today I was able to use the dremel on his front paws. Tomorrow, we will try the back paws.
Trav tolerates any of it.

I have not tried that specific brand but I have tried with a Dremal tool. I don't think I need another one. I'm happy with dremal.

CoyCoyote

Happy tails ahoy
I'm the obedience instructor for a doggy daycare joint, but I spend a lot of my free time in the grooming room; one of my best friends is a groomer there, and in between clients we chit-chat while she scissors a pup.

A couple of weeks ago she was given a Peticure device as a gift. I've always liked the dremel myself, or the dremel in addition to scissor-type clippers if the dog has horrifyingly long talons (you'd be shocked at how many dog owners bring their dogs in and have no idea that their dog even had dewclaws...its sickening).

I've found the Peticure device to be inferior to a good dremel; you can't really see how much you've filed down and its utterly useless on very long nails. Besides that, its batteries are zapped in no time, its loud and vibrate-y and more dogs tolerate the clippers better.

To get that awesome filed-down and clean look, stick with the dremel.

YodelDogs

I use an electric dremel. It is less convenient than a battery operated one but it also means I don't have to keep buying batteries. The dogs definately prefer it over nail clippers and its easy enough to use.

cheri1

I was wondering the same thing. I want to find an easy, safe and pain-free way to clip my puppy's nails and hate those traditional nail clippers. I've read many different views...I might just have to try one and see...

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Dremel makes several cordless variates, including the MiniMite (which I use) and the Stylus (which I've seen used at PetSmart.) They don't run off double-A batteries like the Dremel Cordless Pet Nail Grinder does - they run off a battery that you must charge up. I would highly recommend any of those over this. =>

If they won't sit still for clippers (which I think is faster than using the peticure), then they won't sit for the peticure. I clip my dogs nails every 2 weeks, and use the peticure in between to keep them looking nice.

Brattina88

If they won't sit still for clippers (which I think is faster than using the peticure), then they won't sit for the peticure. I clip my dogs nails every 2 weeks, and use the peticure in between to keep them looking nice.
Not neccissarily true - it depends on the dog. Mia will not sit still for clippers, but will for the dremmel

Dekka

Just try me..
~~Mafia~~

Cider even after a year trying to desensitize her to clippers still screamed while clipping. She took to a dremel easily. She will never love anything that makes her nails shorter, but she is better about dremelling.

Smudge sits still for either. Didn't really desensitize him to the dremel.

Still think the peticure is a useless pet people invention though. Guess it's good if you don't know how your dogs will handle dremelling as it's cheap. But if you have more than one dog, and want to do it semi often, it's not what I'd use.

grab01

I'm on a boat..
My dogs do fine for the dremel, so I've never needed to look into another product. I have fuzzy dogs, but I am able to hold the hair back when using the dremel.

I find the dremel to be just as fast as clippers for me, and I like the result much more.

And Jules hates the clippers..oh, the fits he throws. He just sighs sadly about the dremel and puts up with it

Members online

No members online now.