Training an akita?

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I'd like to work on some obedience with Jake. He's such a large dog that I feel obedience is a must. He knows how to walk well on leash, and how to sit. Or, should I say, he knows what sit means. :rolleyes: I asked him to do it once or twice, and I had to be very firm and insistent before he finally did it. I can already tell that, as sweet-tempered as Jake is, he is also very stubborn and unyielding. Also, I think I should mention that he is not neutered.

I want to do obedience to have better control over Jake (since I'm definately outmatched physically), and to gain his respect as the one in charge.

Anybody have any hints/suggestions? I've never tried training a "difficult/dominant" breed before.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Akita's are tough. There's a regular for daycare and he's now in my obedience class. You have to gain their respect without breaking them. NILIF is a good place to start; just make sure you establish "Top Dog" with him, because he's most likely going to challange you every other step of the way.

It sounds like you already know the "firm and insistant" tone...don't let him get away with anything!

Doberluv

I agree with the NILIF, but if he's not being aggressive, you don't have to follow that to the extreme, but do some of those things. I think the best way to get a "stubborn" dog to follow your commands is not to try to out dominate them or get into a struggling match. Find out what motivates him. Is it some yummy treat or a special toy he doesn't get at other times? Extraordinary treats work for most dogs, especially when they're a little hungry. Show him what you want, so he understands the command and reward him well when he complies. Show him that training is fun, not an unpleasant struggle. He'll get so he wants to learn his obedience skills. Heavy handedness, IMO doesn't work on any dog. "Top dogs" are not the ones who get into power struggles. Good luck.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Thanks for the tips. Given that Jake is a bit *ahem* on the well-fed side, I assume he'll be nicely food motivated.

I must admit, even though I know it's going to be challenging, I'm looking forward to working with Jake. He's a big sweetie, despite his stubbornness, and it's going to be interesting to see how he and I do together.

Members online

No members online now.