Basset Hound Breeders

Maxy24

So I'm still working on my dog breeder directory and am on Basset Hound. I cannot for the life of me find any breeders of them that I really like. I've got a few down (less than five) that look decent, but am not having luck finding more. Some of it may be just lack of websites, none of the BHCA breeders are listed with websites. I'm also a little unsure of what health testing I should be looking for...what sorts of things I'd be able to find in the OFA database and what tests are not included there, like for their blood clotting disorders.

Anyway does anyone know of good Basset breeders with websites? Or ones without websites that you KNOW health tests and breeds properly tempered Bassets. I have a family member who will likely be getting another Basset when her's pass away (and they are old) and she got her last two from a mill, so it's important to me that I have at least some breeders I can offer up if she asks or mentions it to me.

Kilter

http://www.kismet.net/shecara/ourbassets.html

this one seems to have the most testing on their dogs as far as OFA and CHIC goes. I'd contact them and ask.

And write an email to the basset clubs to ask them wth they're doing not pushing for more health testing to be done on the dogs that are owned by club members. But that's just me...:cool:

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
I've been watching this thread like crazy, hoping to see something I'd want. Unfortunately, I think Dais might be my only little long dog. She's from a totally random backyard breeder in PA (not money-grubbing puppy millers, you understand - they were all about breeding the best to the best, be it sheep or dogs, but "best", was an opinion...), and although she's remarkably tiny (33.8lb, currently) and would not do well in a show ring (her features are not exaggerated, and she's tiny...), I just can't seem to find someone producing dogs like her :( especially not one who health tests...

Maxy24

Thank you for the link! I don't think I have them, but my computer only operates in safe mode and won't let me open the word document the breeders are all on so I can't be sure lol. But they don't ring a bell.

I was really surprised at how few decent breeders there seem to be. Even the ones that I decided qualified didn't seem really good, just alright. Or they'd say they do health testing but I couldn't find any proof on the OFA site when I typed in dog names. I mean it's not a terribly uncommon breed so I expected to find more breeders. Plus I had recently finished Australian Shepherds and I had a hard time finding BAD breeders for them.

The Basset Hound Club of America didn't list bad breeders, they just didn't list websites, so I can't evaluate them. I typed in a few of the names in google and didn't come up with any websites. I might go back later and try more though. Maybe a Basset Hound forum would have some inside info on the website-less breeders.

I've moved on to Beagles, finding a lot of BYBs there also, but many good ones as well.

Members online