Official "Dinner" Thread

ACooper

It seems I am always looking for something different to make for dinner......you know how it goes, tired of the same old junk and want a change.

Looks like I am not alone as I see others ask for help or ideas too :)

I thought it would be nice to have an official dinner thread.

This thread is for us to SHARE the recipes and ideas, but please only post it IF YOU have actually made it or had it at home.........no untested recipes please! (those are all over the net)

You can even include a picture to SHOW us what it looks like and make us drool :D

This could turn into the Chazhound Cookbook! WOOT!

Debi

quesadillas (which I can't spell) but are a fave of ours. you can make anything you want for a filling, but yesterday I had this:

lay large flour tortilla in skillet (I spray a little nonstick oil in the skillet)
turkey chunks (precooked)
shredded cheddar
precooked onions and green pepper
a slice of ham (it's good without the ham, also I use precooked chicken chunks alot if I don't have turkey)
picante sauce
lay another tortilla on top
heat in skillet til lightly browned, flip to brown the other side, cut with a pizza cutter into 4 triangles. dip in sour cream if you're feeling wild. :) serve with a nice salad on the side.

we also make what we call Mexican pizzas:
large tortillas, lay out flat on cookie sheet
rub with a little olive oil
any topping you like, we only put chopped onions, green pepper, tomato
shredded cheddar
bake in 350 oven til it's warmed thru and cheese melts

ACooper

Sounds good Debi :)

We had a copy cat recipe for Chili's black beans tonight, I can't say it was that great.........not even close to Chili's, but I am going to keep searching until I find it because I ADORE Chili's black beans!

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
I'll share. This is one my wife made up. We call it "Chicken Klementine". That's because my wife's initials are K.L.E.M. so I call her my darling Klementine :D

Anyway, here goes, a Mrs. Q original:

1 stick butter
2 pouches Good Seasons Italian salad dressing (the dry stuff)
1/4 c. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 c. marsala wine (Florio Sweet)
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt & Petter to taste

Cut chicket into 1-inch pieces. Melt butter in skillet on medium/low heat. Add puches of dressing mix and chicken, saute until chicken turns white, lower heat, add Worcestershire sauce and wine; cover. Cook on low heat until chicken is done all the way through, stirring frequently. Server over linguine, salt and pepper to taste.

Not the lowest fat in the world but it's **** good.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Sounds like a fun thread! Okay, here's my contribution for today (it's what I'm making for dinner tonight, so I might post pics later). This is my asian grandma's take on American fried chicken, and it is heavenly. Unlike most fried chicken recipes I've seen, the emphasis is all on the chicken: no batters in this one. Makes for a wonderfully crisp, very tasty piece of chicken. I scaled down the recipe, since my grandma usually makes this in 20-pound batches at the minimum.

Asian-American Fried Chicken
8-10 chicken pieces. I personally think dark meat tastes best in *any* chicken recipe, but you can use any part of the chicken, bone-in and skin-on.
1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3-4 tablespoons soy sauce, just enough to give the meat a good dampening.
Flour for dredging

Put the chicken in a bowl. Add everything except the flour. Toss well to mix. Cover the bowl and put it in the fridge overnight to marinate.

When you're ready to fry, put some oil (NOT olive oil!) on medium-high heat. Your want about 2 inches of oil in the pan. Take out the chicken pieces and dredge each one in flour, then put them in the pan. Cook for about 20 minutes, or until the juices run clear when the chicken is pierced with a fork. Wings and legs may take only 15 minutes. Be sure to turn the pieces over halfway through cooking, so both sides cook evenly. Remove from the pan and drain on a rack or on paper towels.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Chili & Rice. You (well......I) can live on that stuff!

you need:
Rice
Chili (I get the vegetarian chili)

Cook rice till soft, equal water to rice.
Cook chili till warm.

Put together, add some onions or cheese and EAT! ^_^

ACooper

So far, so YUM! I will probably be making my grocery list from this thread! ROFL

And BB, I don't believe I have ever tried chili & rice together but we will be :D

GipsyQueen

My own Pasta:

Either you can make fresh pasta... but usually Im to lazy to do so... Or you can buy the 'other' stuff. ;)

For the sauce:
(for 4 people)
- 3 Onions (two red one white)
- Dried Tomatoes
- cream cheese
- parmasan
- white wine
- garlic
- chopped tomatoes (canned)
- tomatoe paste.
- Olive Oil
- varity of italien herbs & salt and pepper

(For those who like shrimp, add shrip.)

Put chopped onions and garlic (about 2 - 3 cloves) in a pan with olive oil and them heat up. Then once the onions are glassy add the chopped dried tomatoes, tomatoe paste and cream cheese (about a teaspoon) and let them heat up as well. Add salt and Pepper. Then put the whole mixture into a pot and drench with the wine. Put the Pan aside if you are planning on adding shrimp. Then add about 2 cans of chopped tomatoes along with the herbs and parmasan. Let it heat up and once its boiling turn the heat down and let it simmer for about 20 minutes. Then, taste again and add salt and pepper and whatever else if needed.
If you want to add shrimp, put those in in the pan that you did the onions and such in. Add a clove of garlic (a whole clove not chopped) along with salt and pepper.
Serve Pasta with sauce and put the shrimp on top! ^^
*oh and if you feel the sauce is a bit acidy, add some sugar.*

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
All right, here's pictures of the completed Asian-American fried chicken. Sorry the picture quality is so horrible, but my digital camera is awful.

Here's the lovely platter of chicken.

And here it is served in the way that's traditional in my family, with a hot serving of steamed rice. The rice is topped with a mixture of fresh diced tomatoes and onions that have been lightly tossed with a bit of patis (fish sauce). Patis actually tastes a bit like a very light soy sauce, and Filipinos use it just as often as Chinese and Japanese cuisine uses soy sauce.

TheWonderPuppies

Pres. Of Gutter Club.....
Creole Chicken and gravy.

5 tbsp butter/margerine(enough to coat bottom of pan with at least a 1/4 of an inch)
2 lbs of chicken(must have bones) otherwise any part/parts frozen
1 large white onion
4-5 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp cajun seasoning
half a small can of tomato sauce.
1 1/2 cups water

In a large dutch oven or stock pot melt butter. Add onions and cook till halfway to transucent.NExt add the garlic and finish cooking onion till translucent. Add in frozen chicken and half can of tomato sauce and water. Bring to a boil for 15 mins then reduce to a simmer for at least 2 1/2 hours the longer it simmers the better.
Serve over long grain rice with cornbread.

MisssAshby

Richy Rich HM Twit!
Hey Coop....

I know that you have a good recipe for pulled BBQ pork/chicken...

Will you please post it? I'm looking for a good pulled meat recipe.

Thanks! :D

ACooper

Where did you hear that rumor? LOL

Actually my pulled pork is quite simple and nothing fancy, but it is GOOD!

I toss pork in the crock pot, it can be whatever is cheapest and on sale.......a pork roast, country ribs, normally at least 4-5 lbs of WHATEVER. I prefer boneless because it makes my job easier :D

Add about 1-2 cups water. I chop an onion and bell pepper and toss it in. I cook it all night long on low. The next morning I drain the water and shred the pork with two forks.

I dump a bottle of my favorite bbq sauce in with it and let it cook all day on low.

Done :)

ACooper

Super simple meat balls :D

We had a baby shower at work today, of course it was a potluck carry in. I made easy meatballs and it reminded me to post it here for those who may not know about them.

It's an easy and OLD recipe with variations.

I used frozen meatballs from the store (2 bags or 2 lbs)

1 bottle of Heinz Chili Sauce 15oz (found by the Ketchup)
and 2 cups of grape Jelly...........you can also use a 14 oz can of Jellied cranberry sauce for more 'tang' if you like but I had none, lol

Mix the chili sauce and jelly together well in a crockpot, I use a whisk.
Add meatballs and cook on LOW for 4-5 hours...........DONE :D

I've known of people who made those but used cocktail wieners instead of meatballs.

They scare me a little, lol! We're talking Mystery Meat . . . :eek:

Possibly even related to :spam:

ACooper

I have made the little smoked sausages with apricot baby food and brown sugar, another quick easy make for parties :)

But I love fried bologna, vienna wienies, and things like that :D

ACooper

I like them with Miracle whip and a leaf or two of iceburg.........but the bologna MUST be fried in cast iron to be perfect :D

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Michelle threw this together last night and it was really good, so I thought I'd share.

Pizza Lasagne Bake

1 8oz can of tomato sauce
1 4.25oz can of chopped black olives
1 14oz can of stewed tomatos
1/4 cup cottage cheese
1 lb ground beef
diced onion to preference
Italian seasoning
shredded cheese (mozzarella or italian blend)
wide egg noodles approx. 8oz (half bag)

Cook hamburger, layer ingredients and bake at ~350F until warm all the way through and cheese is melted.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
Here's one we used to do at least 2 times a month at my house. Very simple and fast. Take Kielbasa and cut it up into 1/4" to 1/2" sections. Toss in skillet and start to heat. Once the kielbasa has heated through, add 1/2 jar (to taste) of Bullseye original BBQ sauce and a can of pineapple chunks (drained). Heat, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thoroughly warm (don't let it burn, though). Serve with side of choice (pirogies, green beans, etc.)

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Kielbasa just rocks, period. We would fix this quite often as well, except that we would just heat it up in the skillet and then fix fried potatos (no, not french fries...thin sliced potatos fried in a castiron skillet) and onions to go with it. And some sort of veggie.

Members online