Snakes - Talk to Me!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
And I'm still totally jealous that you are getting a JCP, they are some of my favorite looking snakes. And on my "someday" list. If I do end up getting a snake while still here in the apartment, it must be hideable. :p Thus tiny snakes!

When I get my reptile room there will be at least one JCP, and one RTB. I don't know that I'd want to go larger than those. I also don't think I'll have another ball ever. I would love a leucistic Texas rat snake someday.
Because this:

Dies of the pretty.

Equinox

Amanda, I love your photos and your corn snake is adorable! Those are some really great shots - are you just using your 50mm for them? I'm debating whether or not I should get a macro down the road, but for now I'll probably just use my 50mm.

And I'm still totally jealous that you are getting a JCP, they are some of my favorite looking snakes. And on my "someday" list. If I do end up getting a snake while still here in the apartment, it must be hideable. :p Thus tiny snakes!

When I get my reptile room there will be at least one JCP, and one RTB. I don't know that I'd want to go larger than those. I also don't think I'll have another ball ever. I would love a leucistic Texas rat snake someday.
6 more days for meeeee! I just dug up some pictures of the parents of my JCP baby and holy gorgeous. I'll make a thread soon to keep track of various snake baby related thing :) They really are so neat and I'm glad I decided on them in the end! They don't require much space for their size, but it's true that a 4' x 2' x 2' terrarium/tub might get a little hard to hide :p

I really wanted a red tail boa as well, but space was definitely an issue there. One day I'll have one! And ughhh, I love all leucistic snakes. You really just can't go wrong with that.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Amanda, I love your photos and your corn snake is adorable! Those are some really great shots - are you just using your 50mm for them? I'm debating whether or not I should get a macro down the road, but for now I'll probably just use my 50mm.
Yup just the 50mm.

Thanks :) I adore him, he's such a cool dude. He likes to give us massages... On our tracheas. LOL.

Equinox

Yup just the 50mm.

Thanks :) I adore him, he's such a cool dude. He likes to give us massages... On our tracheas. LOL.
Great to know! If I can get photos half as good as that I'll be more than happy!

Arbutus sounds like a lot of fun! Corn snakes just seem like such all around nice snakes, from their nice temperament to their activity level to their feeding response. They come in some neat colors but honestly I think the normal/standard ones are beautiful on their own.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Great to know! If I can get photos half as good as that I'll be more than happy!

Arbutus sounds like a lot of fun! Corn snakes just seem like such all around nice snakes, from their nice temperament to their activity level to their feeding response. They come in some neat colors but honestly I think the normal/standard ones are beautiful on their own.
We're hoping to get a second one eventually and maybe breed. Gotta get Arbutus checked out first to see if he's really a boy but we're pretty sure.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi

6 more days for meeeee! I just dug up some pictures of the parents of my JCP baby and holy gorgeous. I'll make a thread soon to keep track of various snake baby related thing :) They really are so neat and I'm glad I decided on them in the end! They don't require much space for their size, but it's true that a 4' x 2' x 2' terrarium/tub might get a little hard to hide :p

I really wanted a red tail boa as well, but space was definitely an issue there. One day I'll have one! And ughhh, I love all leucistic snakes. You really just can't go wrong with that.
Yeah, my rat cage is huge and I always worry that someday one of the maintenance men will wonder a little too much about what is under that sheet covering the huge box, lol. An adult male sand boa or hognose can stay in a 10 gallon. I can hide 10 gallons!

Equinox

We're hoping to get a second one eventually and maybe breed. Gotta get Arbutus checked out first to see if he's really a boy but we're pretty sure.
That's awesome!! I've recently become fascinated with the breeding/incubation/hatching process and would really look forward to following your progress on that. Plus, snake babies! Squee <3

Yeah, my rat cage is huge and I always worry that someday one of the maintenance men will wonder a little too much about what is under that sheet covering the huge box, lol. An adult male sand boa or hognose can stay in a 10 gallon. I can hide 10 gallons!
Haha my roommate uses a 20 gallon for her 2 rats and even that is tough to hide on short notice. How long do hognose snakes get? I had no idea that 10 gallons could do just fine for them!

iriskai

I like him!! Great shots, btw. Definitely tempted by a few of the cute little corns today.

GORGEOUS. I saw a couple Blue Eyed Lucy balls, gorgeous! Something about a crisp white...

I hid a bird cage in one of my former apartments… locked bedroom door, radio on.. it was fun. lol At least snakes and rats aren't NOISY!

How long do hognose snakes get? I had no idea that 10 gallons could do just fine for them!
The adult female I held today was definitely under 3 feet, probably a closer to 2. The male was maybe a foot and a half? The guy at Balanced Scales Reptiles said a 10 gallon would be good for a male and a 20 might be better for a larger female.

Thoughts on Exo-Terra terrariums? Worth it or should I just go with a regular aquarium? I was going to paint the outside 3 walls black to give the new inhabitant a bit of privacy. Also have some cool grapevine that might look neat in the enclosure… just need to decide what the basic enclosure is going to be.

iriskai

Equinox, male hogs generally get no longer than about 24 inches.
I was kind of surprised at how small that turns out to be. The male I held wasn't entirely full grown, I just expected it to be bigger than it was.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Now that I'm home and able to get on my actual computer I can finally respond to this thread... didn't want to attempt to on my phone.

Corn snakes make GREAT first time snakes. They are fairly easy keepers and very friendly. I've had a couple and really enjoyed them. Will probably get back into corn snakes eventually.

My last ball was a little tougher... mainly because he was prone to going on hunger strikes even with his set up maintained correctly and plenty of hides.

In a week or two my new girl will be coming home. I'm finally getting my dream snake... hog island boa. Hog islands usually tend to max out around 4-6 feet so they are considered dwarf boas, but that is provided you get a purebred one.

Meet my new girl... at this point her name might be Cyra... but still debating on names. She is still a baby. She also is pure bred and she has really nice pinking.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
I've never ever been a fan of snakes, but I do really like corn snakes and hognoses. I think corns get too big for me but I could definitely see myself with a little male hognose one day. They are too precious!

iriskai

Skittledoo - she's GORGEOUS! Love the coloring! And something about a Boa head is just awesome. Size isn't bad, either. Are they thicker snakes full grown?

Thoughts on terrariums? Traditional aquarium, front opening, make my own out of wood or something..? I want to start gathering things for the enclosure.

iriskai

I've never ever been a fan of snakes, but I do really like corn snakes and hognoses. I think corns get too big for me but I could definitely see myself with a little male hognose one day. They are too precious!
I really couldn't get over how small they were in comparison to what I had in my head! They're too cute. :)

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Skittledoo - she's GORGEOUS! Love the coloring! And something about a Boa head is just awesome. Size isn't bad, either. Are they thicker snakes full grown?

Thoughts on terrariums? Traditional aquarium, front opening, make my own out of wood or something..? I want to start gathering things for the enclosure.

They do tend to be thicker snakes full grown, but I don't think she will be super thick or anything, definitely thicker than say a corn snake though. A full grown boa can be as round and thick as a grown man's thigh, but since she is a smaller type of boa and will wind up being approximately half the length I don't think she will be super thick.

I'm not really a big fan of glass aquariums being used for snakes. That said... I used them for my corn snakes with no issues. I guess the more I've been reading about boas the more I've been reading over and over again that full glass enclosures aren't ideal especially with snakes that need to have humidity.

Members online

No members online now.